United States Heraldic Registry Website Down

bmerlina352

bmerlina352
Total Posts:  108
Joined  13-07-2012

11 April 2013 16:39

harold cannon;98438 wrote:

Steven just to let you know you CAN use your banner, crest, and arms in Scotland. I have it straight from Mr. Gorie of the Lyon office. I posted the conversation here but I can email it to you if you like.

David I registered mine in Spain and that worked just fine and costs only about $100.00

Harold if you could send me contact details for the Spanish cronista, I’d appreciate it.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 April 2013 17:44

Joseph McMillan;98444 wrote:

The Commonwealth of Virginia doesn’t have the power to issue passports under U.S. law, because the conduct of foreign relations is reserved to the federal government.  So any passports I might issue under my Virginia consular commission would be worthless.

Ambassador McMillan - if Nebraska can have admirals, then anything is possible!  wink

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

11 April 2013 17:57

steven harris;98442 wrote:

Then I am quite lucky that my Chief has a more progressive view of things!

I feel very fortunate to share in the rich history, heritage, and fellowship of Clan MacMillan.  My interactions with Chief George have created in me a deep respect and affection for his kindness, gentleness, and humility- and willing deference to his judgment on matters concerning his clan.

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

11 April 2013 21:25

David Pope;98448 wrote:

I feel very fortunate to share in the rich history, heritage, and fellowship of Clan MacMillan.  My interactions with Chief George have created in me a deep respect and affection for his kindness, gentleness, and humility- and willing deference to his judgment on matters concerning his clan.

I meant no disrespect to your Chief, or anybody else’s.  I only mean that I am lucky (financially) that my Chief recognized my arms without requiring me to go through a herald in Ireland, or Spain, or South Africa, or any other country to which I have no ties.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

11 April 2013 23:35

As well, I mean no disrespect. It is a clan chief’s prerogative to decide whatever and however he chooses in regard to the activities of his clan. It is my opinion, though, that this particular decision shows a fundamental lack of understanding of heraldry outwith the borders of the United Kingdom. I could understand it if he were to go so far as to only accept arms granted by Lord Lyon, or even to only accept arms granted by or registered with one’s country of citizenship - thereby not accepting the arms of members where there is no heraldic authority - but the choice of accepting the arms of Americans only if they are registered with third-party countries seems downright silly.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

17 April 2013 02:13

For us, a foreign registration—apart from the artwork - is essentially a flag of convenience for the benefit of those with that particular obsession.  To each his own.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

25 June 2013 00:57

While cleaning up some bookmarks in my browser, I clicked on the USHR site and there is now an image of the seal rather than the GoDaddy page.

Could it be that the USHR is coming back to life?

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

25 June 2013 16:41

That would be great news.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

25 June 2013 23:37

Tentative great news.

The USHR is back online. The main URL splash page doesnt work, but this link was posted on IAAH forum.

http://usheraldicregistry.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 June 2013 11:06

Hooray! —especially for those of us who never got around to registering in the past.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

26 June 2013 12:29

Snyder;99528 wrote:

The USHR is back online. The main URL splash page doesnt work, but this link was posted on IAAH forum.

http://usheraldicregistry.com/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage

Unfortunately, it seems to be pulling from an old database, which could be one reason it has been down. I updated the blazon on my arms in June of 2008 and the listing on there has my original wording.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

26 June 2013 12:44

Hopefully its just glitch at the moment. Ive reached out to Michael via email a few occasions offering assistance in maintaining the site, but no response.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

26 June 2013 14:50

Snyder;99543 wrote:

Hopefully its just glitch at the moment. Ive reached out to Michael via email a few occasions offering assistance in maintaining the site, but no response.

If history is a guide, you won’t. Many of us have reached out over the years.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

26 June 2013 17:00

It’s good news if Mike Swanson does indeed have the USHR back up and running, but as Kenneth says, this has always been his project, by his own choice.  I don’t quite get why people can’t just accept that.

Snyder

Snyder
Joined  25-11-2007

26 June 2013 19:24

Its not a matter of taking over anything, its just about offering assistance if needed. We share a common bond and I know I would like to see the site be successful and beneficial to Mr Swanson. I would do the same for any heraldic organization. For example, I took the liberty of placing all of the design guidelines and practices of the AHS and made them into a PDF simple because I wanted to and thought it would be beneficial to the heraldic community as a whole. I would like to do the same fod the USHR