Thoughts on this?

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Total Posts:  117
Joined  22-01-2012

30 April 2013 21:09

While i have been in school, i’ve been doodling here and there. I made this while talking with my classmates how we all have something holding us back and that we must learn to brake our selves free from it hold. Thinking about it the chains could be an example of any issues that hold us back and how we must remind our selves to brake free from them.

I don’t know why i put a flower there, but i thought i looked nice. Any thoughts or ideas for or on this shield?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

01 May 2013 09:04

Not bad conceptually. You need to firm up your colors so as not to violate the tincture rules. Seems a shame not to use a cant, though.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

01 May 2013 11:01

Oh i understand, it’s just a draft idea. I would like to make the blur darker and put in a another complimentary color, I haven’t thought one yet. Thank you! smile

David Pope

David Pope
Total Posts:  559
Joined  17-09-2010

01 May 2013 14:57

What about a chevron rompu? It could symbolize the "breaking free" idea without introducing an additional charge.

Benjamin Thornton

Benjamin Thornton
Total Posts:  449
Joined  04-09-2009

01 May 2013 15:51

Robert, I think you need to reflect on what you’re trying to represent, and remove anything unnecessary - the flower, or the chevron, for example.

If you’re trying to express something philosophical or existential like breaking free, the chain is one - but only one - option.  I know it’s been suggested that you consider other aspects of your life you may want to represent (nationality, family connections, work, vocations, &c.).  Have you given this more thought?

I know the first thing people both within and without the heraldry world ask when they see my arms is, "what does it mean?"  You should be prepared to answer that question.

And when you think you know what you’d like to express, we can better help you.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

01 May 2013 23:54

I like the rompu idea.

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

06 May 2013 00:37

Benjamin Thornton;98740 wrote:

Robert, I think you need to reflect on what you’re trying to represent, and remove anything unnecessary - the flower, or the chevron, for example.

If you’re trying to express something philosophical or existential like breaking free, the chain is one - but only one - option.  I know it’s been suggested that you consider other aspects of your life you may want to represent (nationality, family connections, work, vocations, &c.).  Have you given this more thought?

I know the first thing people both within and without the heraldry world ask when they see my arms is, "what does it mean?"  You should be prepared to answer that question.

And when you think you know what you’d like to express, we can better help you.

That is a great way to look at it, I may have to contemplate on what I have. To explain braking free from issues that hold us back, I may need a little more time, just to get a good illustration, or even if this idea is what i want.

Thank you. smile

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

06 May 2013 00:38

David Pope;98739 wrote:

What about a chevron rompu? It could symbolize the "breaking free" idea without introducing an additional charge.

Love that idea, I will have to contemplate it. Thank you. smile

Robert Blackard

Robert Blackard
Joined  22-01-2012

06 May 2013 00:55

This is funny, while thinking about stuff i did a little research on design and hopefully I will have something next week to show. Ideas are popping to me.