Victoria Cross

steven harris

steven harris
Total Posts:  696
Joined  30-07-2008

10 May 2013 11:27

I was recently reading the wikipedia page about the British Victoria Cross.  With regards to heraldry, the article states that "as a bearer of the VC is not a Companion in an Order of Chivalry, the VC has no place in a coat of arms" - listing The complete book of Heraldry by Stephen Slater (2002) as the source of the information.

Is this accurate?  Would the English not include the VC, their highest award for gallantry, in an armorial achievement?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

10 May 2013 13:39

steven harris;98826 wrote:

I was recently reading the wikipedia page about the British Victoria Cross. With regards to heraldry, the article states that "as a bearer of the VC is not a Companion in an Order of Chivalry, the VC has no place in a coat of arms" - listing The complete book of Heraldry by Stephen Slater (2002) as the source of the information.

Is this accurate? Would the English not include the VC, their highest award for gallantry, in an armorial achievement?

No, it’s not accurate.  Brooke-Little (a king of arms, which Slater is not) was unambiguous in his edition of Boutell that decorations (but not service medals) may be displayed.

And I’m not sure this is actually in Slater.  I can’t find it on a quick search.  This is why a proper citation has a page number.

It does seem to be the case, however, that the College of Arms does not depict decorations with the emblazonment on the letters patent.  Why I don’t know.  Lord Lyon and the CHA do.

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

10 May 2013 14:34

Given the respect that VC winners are accorded (a General Officer of 5-star rank will salute a Private soldier with the VC) it would be a very obtuse Officer of Arms who would make such a rule… Oh, wait, it’s the College of Arms, better go check.

James

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

11 May 2013 22:04

It has always been the case that representations of Orders and Decorations can be shown in an heraldic achievement pendant from under the bottom of the shield.  Generally when one has a grant or confirmation of arms from the Kings of Arms at the College of Arms and is a member of one of the orders of chivalry* one may display the circlet of the order if so entitled, plus its badge of the grade of the particular order/s pendant from its ribbon one holds.  If one is not entitled to the circlet, just the badge and ribbon alone.  I do not believe any ruling exists at the College that bars the display of decorations for I am sure that in the grant books (the College’s office copies of grants of arms) examples do exist of orders and decorations or decorations alone being displayed with the arms concerned.  The other factor is that the painting of the insignia of orders and decorations would attract a further fee for the herald painter producing the patent.  It is left to grantee to decide whether they want to display their membership of an order/s or the fact that they have won a decoration.  Sometimes less is more!

* This would include the Baronet’s Badge and the insignia of a Knight Bachelor.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

12 May 2013 13:57

Well there appears to be no objections in including the VC as part of the Arms anyway. The Royal New Zealand Navy Support Ship HMNZ Charles Upham for example includes the VC of the Namesake in its Ships Badge. I also recall a Canadian School named after a VC recipient that includes a VC in their Armorial Bearings.