College of Arms Library Index

Richard G.

Richard G.
Total Posts:  451
Joined  26-07-2011

16 May 2013 07:53

John, do you know if there is an online index for the CoA Library?

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

16 May 2013 08:54

Richard G.;98901 wrote:

John, do you know if there is an online index for the CoA Library?

I am sure John will be able to add to this but I have the following:

A R Wagner: "The Records and Collections of the College of Arms", 1952 ;

"A Catalogue of Manuscripts in the College of Arms. Collections. Volume 1", eds L Campbell and Steer, 1988;

"Catalogue of the Arundel Manuscripts in the Library of the College of Arms" ed C G Young, 1829; and the

"General Report to the King in Council from the Honourable Board of Commissioners on The Public Records", 1837, which covers the CoA on pp 106-110.

"Heralds’ Commemorative Exhibition 1484-1934 held at the College of Arms. Enlarged and illustrated catalogue", (main ed A R Wagner), 1936.

Humphery-Smith: "Armigerous Ancestors" is also useful to identify visitation manuscripts. Other CoA mss can be identified through the credits for illustrations in various books, footnotes esp in the Harleian Series, and many exhibition catalogues.

It is my understanding that the former librarian is now engaged on a volume 2 of the Catalogue to cover the visitation material.

Wagner’s short work on the Records and Collections is indispensable to understanding what lies within the College but I am sure there is yet much to mine that has hardly been touched.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

18 May 2013 08:26

Thank you, Derek.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

19 May 2013 01:51

Richard,

May I apologize for not responding to your question earlier owing to the fact I have been away from home over the last couple of days.  In answer to you query - no, the College has no online catalogue pertaining to its library holdings or to any its official and unofficial records.

I believe that Derek has covered the corpus of books/publications that reference the collections of the College, all of which are obtainable through the usual sources although I suspect you would need to do some searching for one or two of them.

Just in case my memory is faulty, I shall ask my wife as she was the Assistant Librarian at the College between 1987 and 2003 if she can bring any others to mind.

In passing, another couple of books by Cecil Humphery-Smith -‘Anglo-Norman Armory’ (1973) and its sister volume ‘Anglo-Norman Armory Two’ (1984) which are both a great source of early heraldry in England for the serous student.  Both are in the format of an ordinary of arms which cover the Norman period (Vol 1) and the 13th Century (Vol 2).  The arms included have been culled from early rolls of arms and other early records, etc.

Derek.  One correction.  Volume 2 of the Manuscripts of the Records of the College is presently being worked on by a former archivist of the College, not a former librarian.

John

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

19 May 2013 04:17

liongam;98910 wrote:

Derek.  One correction.  Volume 2 of the Manuscripts of the Records of the College is presently being worked on by a former archivist of the College, not a former librarian.

Thanks John. My slip. Of course it makes sense that manuscripts are catalogued by an archivist rather than librarian.

Richard G.

Richard G.
Joined  26-07-2011

20 May 2013 16:59

Thank you, John for that information.