New Arrival(s)

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

14 May 2013 14:17

That is to say not the arrivals of new books but old books newly arrived in my collection. Today I got a copy of Heraldic Cadency: The Development of Differencing of Coats of Arms for Kinsmen and Other Purposes by Lt.-Col. Robert Gayre, published in 1956.

Gayre was bonkers but the book is quite nice.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

14 May 2013 15:24

Ditto on both points!

...and whatever it’s other merits or faults, a strong motivator for "no cadency" as the AHS "Best Practices" norm!

And for those who insist on cadency in their own families (or for that matter, those looking for "indeterminate cadency" from stem arms in designing & assuming new arms), a broad survey of the possibilities to consider or avoid.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

14 May 2013 16:00

Also arrived: The Nature of Arms: An Exposition of the Meaning and Significance of Heraldry with Special Reference to its Nobiliary Aspects also by Robert Gayre. Published in 1961. As you can see, Gayre was fond of lengthy subtitles for his works. Part of his neuroses, along with making up titles and positions. Nevertheless, a nice addition to my personal library.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

15 May 2013 14:07

Today saw the arrival of Honour and Arms: The Story of some Augmentations of Honour by J.F. Huxford published in 1984. A very nice work on an interesting subject which can, at times, ruin a perfectly good coat of arms (i.e. Lord Nelson).

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

15 May 2013 15:53

gselvester;98894 wrote:

Today saw the arrival of Honour and Arms: The Story of some Augmentations of Honour by J.F. Huxford published in 1984. A very nice work on an interesting subject which can, at times, ruin a perfectly good coat of arms (i.e. Lord Nelson).

Though good, Huxford is worth double checking in that it’s not comprehensive (there are a great many other British augmentations) and not always perfect. He mis-dates the Kirke augmentation which dates to the Anglo-French War of 1627-29 rather than to the Seven Years War more than a century later.

A rather fine seal belonging to Sir David Kirke was found by archaeologists at Ferryland, Newfoundland in 2003.

http://www.heritage.nf.ca/avalon/artifacts/images/trophy_425a.jpg

James

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

15 May 2013 17:46

Re Huxford’s book -

Sadly, this looks like research done via secondary sources, only, rather than with the assistance of the College of Arms.

Too expensive, probably!

On the other hand, does the College allow serious researcher’s access to their records without the payment of a fee?

Iain Boyd

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

15 May 2013 23:11

Iain Boyd;98896 wrote:

Re Huxford’s book -

Sadly, this looks like research done via secondary sources, only, rather than with the assistance of the College of Arms.

Huxford says as much in the book.

liongam

liongam
Total Posts:  343
Joined  19-02-2006

16 May 2013 04:16

Iain,

In answer to your query.  The College of Arms has a room designated as a ‘students room’ which is in essence one of the smaller libraries within the College.  When I last used it some three or so years ago when researching for my MSc thesis, I was charged the princely sum of £5.00 (Five Pounds) for the day.  I believe this is still the case and has been so for very many years.  All bookings are placed through the College’s archivist.  The only proviso is that use of the student’s room is for genuine academic research and that researchers need to know what records that they wish examine.

John

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

18 May 2013 14:49

Some more today: Heraldry For The Designer by William Metzig, published in 1970. (thanks to the recommendation of Ton) It’s an interesting book. His style is unique but some of his ideas about heraldry border on the bizarre.

Also Royal Ceremonies of State by J.P. Brooke-Little (quondam Clarenceux King of Arms) published in 1980. As the title states its a book mostly about British royal ceremonies. However, the author being who he is there is a chapter on the Heralds and a good bit of heraldry throughout especially in the chapters on funerals and orders of chivalry. It’s also a book that illustrates well that the function of a herald isn’t limited to genealogy and the devisal of coats of arms. There are an extensive amount of ceremonial duties involved with being a herald.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

20 May 2013 14:32

Four more today including one I missed out on purchasing from the now defunct Heraldry Today.

http://neoluxor.cz/files/9/9788071929901.jpg

Papežské Znaky by Zdirad J.K. Čech published in 2009. The book is in Czech but is lavishly illustrated throughout and includes all the papal arms from the dawn of heraldry up to Pope Benedict XVI. (pictured above)

Also, Wappen und Flaggen des Deutschen Reichtes und seiner Bundesstaaten (1871-1918 ) published in 1979.

Wappen: Ein Spiegel von Geschicte und Politik by Harald Huber published in 1990.

Handbüchlein der Heraldik by D.L. Galbreath published in 1930.

My German is very rusty but these three were very nice acquisitions for my little personal library.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

20 May 2013 16:03

gselvester;98921 wrote:

...my little personal library.

Little? The way it’s going I picture you buried in books. smile

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

20 May 2013 16:27

Nah. My personal heraldry library consists of only about 65 books.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

20 May 2013 19:27

This huge volume on Papal Heraldry by Čech is really a must have for anyone interested in the topic of papal heraldry or Catholic heraldry generally just for the artwork alone. The author is a graphic artist and all the illustrations (of which there are hundreds) are his. I really wish I could read Czech but, as I say, the artwork alone is a sight to behold. There are sections on the development of the external ornaments of papal heraldry as well as lots of depictions of the arms of popes before they were elected to the papacy.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

13 June 2013 12:53

Today the postman brought Shakespeare’s Heraldry by W. Scott Giles illustrated by the author. Published in 1950. The few color plates and mostly b/w line drawings illustrate the arms of those mentioned in Shakespeare’s works. Very interesting book.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

13 June 2013 16:06

Would love to see some scans/photographs of that.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

13 June 2013 16:41

Jeremy Keith Hammond;99346 wrote:

Would love to see some scans/photographs of that.

You could buy the book. A signed copy off of e-bay perhaps.