Questions about Fur

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

28 May 2013 16:00

But that isn’t a fur (i.e. color patterns synonymous with tinctures) as in ermine, vair, etc. It’s an object made of fur. I don’t think it’s even relevant to the discussion.

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

29 May 2013 00:15

Kenneth Mansfield;99059 wrote:

But that isn’t a fur (i.e. color patterns synonymous with tinctures) as in ermine, vair, etc. It’s an object made of fur. I don’t think it’s even relevant to the discussion.

It seemed distantly relevant from my perspective especially since this thread was based on a hypothetical question about use and design of alternative furs.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

29 May 2013 09:26

I was under the impression your original premise was the introduction of new furs as they relate to tinctures - like ermine, erminois, vair, etc. I don’t see how a coyote fur headband in your crest is any more relevant to that than having a demi-leopard for your crest. It has nothing to do with using coyote as a "fur" just like we don’t use leopard as a "fur".

[No. Don’t think about using leopard as a fur.]

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 May 2013 11:03

Kenneth Mansfield;99072 wrote:

[No. Don’t think about using leopard as a fur.]

Just blazon it as "Or pelletty."

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

29 May 2013 11:17

I never wanted to introduce new furs. I was asked about using rabbit or deer fur from a friend of mine and I told him it wasn’t allowed and more than likely had never been done. With that question I did some research about use of alternative furs, but didn’t garner any results out of the standard tinctures. With that, I wanted to bring it to the group for discussion as a "what if" type of situation.

A lot of the interest I get from people about heraldry are individuals who would fully embrace using deer skin and rabbit fur. I know that the thought makes several of you cringe, but to them it would be more fitting than than ermine or vair.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 May 2013 14:49

I don’t think there’s any objection to using deerskin or rabbit fur "proper" as an element of an object on a shield, or even as the object itself.  I can imagine a coat of arms "Argent a deerskin proper."  It’s not really different in principle from a fleece.

The problem arises when we try to use such furs in lieu of tinctures, for the field of the shield or ordinaries and subordinaries, or as the tincture of objects that aren’t plausibly made of fur in the real world—"three lozenges rabbit-fur," "a mullet deerskin."  This strikes me as a kind of innovation heraldry doesn’t need.