International Heraldry Day

Joseph Staub

Joseph Staub
Total Posts:  211
Joined  26-08-2006

24 April 2013 21:44

James Dempster;98634 wrote:

Oh, and one final caveat. Under no circumstances should anyone tell Hallmark. There’s enough bad poetry in the world without them inflicting Happy Heraldry Day cards on us. wink

James

So for your birthday you’ve made a crest,

some supporters and a motto.

Well, we wish you the very best.

now go get super blotto!

We hear you have a standard fine

for the retainers in your castle.

We hope they are the human kind.

otherwise, it’s a hassle!

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

25 April 2013 15:27

Benjamin Thornton;98640 wrote:

Of course, celebratory dates need not be historically accurate (the Fourth of July, Christmas, e.g). I realize you’re not quibbling about the date of Geoffrey of Anjou’s knighting, but rather its significance in the history of heraldry.

I’m involved in a strategic planning process at work right now. We’ve spent hours and hours debating finer details but my boss has adopted the motto "good enough!" to keep us moving forward. Progress is motion towards an end - not the Utopian end in and of itself.

If there is not an academic consensus on the origin of heraldry, than it would be silly to insist that ANY date - much less June 10 - marks the beginning of heraldry.

The point of establishing a day of celebration is to celebrate heraldry - not make a political assertion regarding a disputed fact.

I think June 10 is still appropriate - not necessarily because it was the birth date of heraldry - but because it is one of many significant and arguably appropriate dates to pick. Plus honestly ... it’s "good enough!" :D

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

25 April 2013 15:53

Joseph Staub;98641 wrote:

So for your birthday you’ve made a crest,

some supporters and a motto.

Well, we wish you the very best.

now go get super blotto!

We hear you have a standard fine

for the retainers in your castle.

We hope they are the human kind.

otherwise, it’s a hassle!

Brilliant!

Happy Heraldry Day to you

Now show your coat of arms

But if you break the color rule

You’ll set off many alarms

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

29 April 2013 00:34

...but June 10 is already taken—that’s my anniversary!  (Well,OK, we can share the date…)

My concern FWIW is that a flowery proclamation can (likely would) be hijacked by the bucket shops to promote their wares; & I suspect there’s more of them—and definitely with more $kin in the game!—than us.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

24 May 2013 10:21

I’m surprised to see no further discussion on this topic. I really like the idea of a "Heraldry Day" as a way to introduce the subject to the general population and promote education.

David Pope;98637 wrote:

I’d be happy to present such a resolution to our governor, but think it best that we all use the same language.

I agree and would propose the following verbiage:

Quote:

Heraldry Day Proclamation

Whereas,
<div class=“bbcode_indent” >
on June 10, 1128 AD, Geoffrey Plantagenet was presented by his father-in-law, King Henry I of England in Rouen, France with a blue shield bearing six gold lions, which is recognized by most heralds throughout the world as the first true coat of arms; and
</div>
Whereas,
heraldry is the abstract science and art of coats of arms – the systematic application of unique, personal, and describable designs upon a shield that identifies a person, corporation, or state – as well as their associated appurtenances including crests, supporters, mottos, badges, seals, and flags; and
</div>
Whereas,
heraldry has been used to identify individuals, organizations, schools, businesses, and governments from the aforementioned date forward to the present time; and
</div>
Whereas,
various and several persons, organizations, schools, businesses, religious bodies, police and fire departments, towns, cities, and counties within the State of Missouri, as well as the State itself have historically and currently borne whole achievements of arms, as well as heraldic badges, crests, and shields; and
</div>
Whereas,
the State recognizes the importance of heraldry as a form of identification, both personal and corporate, and wishes to promote the education thereof and the scientific study of armorial bearings.
</div>
Therefore,
I, Jeremiah W. (Jay) Nixon, Governor of the State of Missouri, do hereby proclaim the day of June 10 to be

</div>

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
Heraldry Day
</div>

in Missouri and encourage all residents to learn about the origins, history, and symbolism of heraldry and celebrate the continued existence of this ancient art.
</div>
In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused to be affixed the Great Seal of the State of Missouri, in the City of Jefferson, this ___ day of ___, 2013.

Of course, you would change your state and governor’s name in your own proclamation.

Per Michel Pastoreau’s thoughts on the subject, I think that just because one doesn’t use their arms on their seal doesn’t negate the fact that they possessed and used arms. I do agree, though, that heraldry - and especially its origins - is (and was) a progressively changing science. To truly nail down a specific date for the origins of heraldry would be near impossible, but I also feel that the first documented account of a heraldic shield being presented to an individual makes that date appropriate. As Jeremy said, "it’s good enough!"

-Phil

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

24 May 2013 10:43

If I can work in my name and a blazon of my arms into it, do you think Lyon would have to recognize them?

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

24 May 2013 18:52

Tomasz Steifer, as co-originator of the idea of June 10 as a day to celebrate heraldry, has given me his blessing to put together an online presence for this great day of the year.

Please “Like” the International Heraldry Day Facebook page here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Heraldry-Day/506056482793288

And please follow International Heraldry Day on Twitter here:

https://twitter.com/HeraldryDay

Naturally, online promotions for an International Heraldry Day deserve a logo, and by extension that logo should be heraldic in nature! I know everyone loves designing new emblems, so what better way to celebrate International Heraldry Day than with a design contest?

I’ll be setting up a democratically organized contest where folks can submit their own Heraldic Badge designs which will be voted on by other heraldry enthusiasts.

Time is short – so start brainstorming now! Folks are welcome to submit as many designs as they like and can also work together.

Look for announcements and more details on Facebook and Twitter!

Snyder

Snyder
Total Posts:  322
Joined  25-11-2007

28 May 2013 00:30

Kenneth Mansfield;98635 wrote:

I’m afraid an "unofficial" Heraldry Day will be taken about as seriously as Talk Like a Prate Day which is fun, but certainly won’t do any good to heraldry and will probably put it further in the fantasy, Renn-faire category.

Ironically, most Ren Faires I’ve attended have had Pirate themed days. :yarr:

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

31 May 2013 13:53

Any thoughts on a Badge for the holiday? Initially thinking of including broom flowers as a nod to Geoffrey Plantagenet.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

31 May 2013 15:37

hollywood1765

hollywood1765
Total Posts:  163
Joined  29-06-2012

31 May 2013 16:14

Kenneth Mansfield;99104 wrote:

How about something simple?

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/1200/internationalheraldryda.png

Just a suggestion, why not add white and black to the color scheme and have the 7 main tintures.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

31 May 2013 17:00

hollywood1765;99105 wrote:

Just a suggestion, why not add white and black to the color scheme and have the 7 main tintures.

Well, I didn’t because…

1. they aren’t part of the color spectrum (per se)

2. then you wouldn’t have a (regular 5-pointed) star in the white space between them.

But anyone is certainly welcome to take that idea and run with it.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

07 June 2013 12:49

Voting on the submitted designs has begun!

Vote here!

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

10 June 2013 07:18

Happy Heraldry Day!

-Phil

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Joined  20-06-2008

10 June 2013 07:37

I’m pleased to say an American has won the design contest! Happy Heraldry Day!

See the winning badge here: http://www.heraldryday.com/

Also - so long as I’m allowed - I intend to use the IAAH forum as sort of an international "neutral zone" for discussions on future celebration efforts. By all means join the discussion there! I will of course post updates here at AHS as things develop.

http://amateurheralds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=366&start=40