New Arrival(s)

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

13 June 2013 17:14

Kenneth Mansfield;99347 wrote:

You could buy the book. A signed copy off of e-bay perhaps.

That just makes too much sense.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

13 June 2013 19:44

Kenneth Mansfield;99347 wrote:

You could buy the book.

Not any more. The auction has ended.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

14 June 2013 14:09

A TRUE gem for my collection came in the mail today. The deluxe edition in publisher’s morocco binding of The Heralds’ Commemorative Exhibition 1484-1934, held at the College of Arms, example no. 252/300 which also happens to have George Viner, FSA’s bookplate in it. This is one I’ve been trying to get hold of for some time and now I finally have it. This will be one of my most prized possessions.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

15 June 2013 01:55

And when the three Abrahamic religions are referred to as "people of the Book" silly me thought they meant the Bible!  smile

Seriously, a very. very nice library indeed!  As to Gayre, I enjoyed the artwork enough to overlook some of the ideological excesses in the text.

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

15 June 2013 05:03

gselvester;99366 wrote:

A TRUE gem for my collection came in the mail today. The deluxe edition in publisher’s morocco binding of The Heralds’ Commemorative Exhibition 1484-1934, held at the College of Arms, example no. 252/300 which also happens to have George Viner, FSA’s bookplate in it. This is one I’ve been trying to get hold of for some time and now I finally have it. This will be one of my most prized possessions.

Well done indeed. This is definitely a splendid volume I would recommend to any serious collector. It has both high quality illustrations and scholarship in Anthony Wagner’s text. I have two copies, my first - no 216/300 with bookplate of Christopher Owen Philips-Gange (irrelevant biography at http://archive.epsomcollege.org.uk/1915-1939/OE_Biographies/1915-1939.pdf) - was so pleasing that when the opportunity arose I snapped up no 27/300, with the bookplate of Anthony Richard Wagner, who I regard as the greatest heraldic scholar of the 20th century if not of all time and no biography needed here.

I note a copy of George Viner’s bookplate was formerly for sale in London:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GW-EVE-Armorial-Bookplate-of-George-Viner-pre-eminent-collector-of-exlibris-/00/s/NjU3WDQyMw==/z/dCIAAOxyY3ZRo175/$KGrHqJHJFEFGBRUQKltBRo175r4Jg~~60_12.JPG

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GW-EVE-Armorial-Bookplate-of-George-Viner-pre-eminent-collector-of-exlibris-/00/s/NjU3WDQyMw==/z/dCIAAOxyY3ZRo175/$(KGrHqJHJFEFGBRUQKltBRo175r4Jg~~60_12.JPG
Quote:

The owner (1865-1955) of this bookplate ranks alongside Brian North Lee and John Henderson Smith as the foremost among bookplate collectors of the 20th century. He joined the Ex Libris Society in 1892, shortly after its founding, was elected FSA in 1908, participated in the Bookplate Exchange Club and, parallel to the Franks Collection, created a series of items not in Franks, donated to the Department of Prints and Drawings. In his professional life he was Assistant Secretary at the Marine & General Mutual Life Assurance Society from 1905 until he retired in 1930. At the age of 32 he m. Ella, youngest dau of John Francis Hunnard of Kensington. Viner’s only substantial printed work is a catalogue of the bookplates of George William Eve RE (1855-1914) who became, in the medium of etching, the counterpart of C. W. Sherborn, and produced, for instance, the excellent series of bookplates for the Royal Library at Windsor Castle. See Lee’s British Bookplates. Eve married in 1901.

Dimensions of paper: 109x69mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GW-EVE-Armorial-Bookplate-of-George-Viner-pre-eminent-collector-of-exlibris-/300911510256

Eve also wrote books on "Heraldry as Art" (1907) and "Decorative Heraldry" (1908 ) - both also worth adding to the library.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

16 June 2013 10:50

gselvester;98923 wrote:

Nah. My personal heraldry library consists of only about 65 books.

I discovered something today both wonderful and frightening. I had thought by roughly guessing that I had about 65 books on heraldry. Then I decided I probably should catalogue them. So I began counting. Including those books of which I have more than one copy (for example I have 5 copies of Heim’s Heraldry in the Catholic Church) and those that aren’t much more than booklets I have 186 books on heraldry in my personal library as well as some more on the way that I’ve recently ordered. I began collecting books of my own on heraldry in about 1988 but I had no idea I had amassed that many!

Derek Howard

Derek Howard
Total Posts:  116
Joined  08-05-2009

18 June 2013 04:48

gselvester;99390 wrote:

I discovered something today both wonderful and frightening. .... I decided I probably should catalogue them. So I began counting. .... I had no idea I had amassed that many!

There has long been a connection between heraldry enthusiasts and book collecting. It is one of those interests which is best conducted with well stocked shelves. I have to admit I have never catalogued mine and your post sent me off to do a rough count. You are right, one’s impressions built up slowly over the years are wildly in error and it is frightening. However, I shall not post any numbers because the prospect of this aspect of the hobby becoming competitive would be even more alarming, especially for my bank manager. I am trying to wean myself off the addiction but find that the substitute histories and volumes on chivalry, feudalism, crusades, castles, Byzantine art and the like just increase at an ever greater rate. Perhaps admitting it here is the first step to coming off the drug ... but perhaps not.

Jeremy Keith Hammond

Jeremy Keith Hammond
Total Posts:  789
Joined  20-06-2008

18 June 2013 07:49

Derek Howard;99401 wrote:

There has long been a connection between heraldry enthusiasts and book collecting. It is one of those interests which is best conducted with well stocked shelves. I have to admit I have never catalogued mine and your post sent me off to do a rough count. You are right, one’s impressions built up slowly over the years are wildly in error and it is frightening. However, I shall not post any numbers because the prospect of this aspect of the hobby becoming competitive would be even more alarming, especially for my bank manager. I am trying to wean myself off the addiction but find that the substitute histories and volumes on chivalry, feudalism, crusades, castles, Byzantine art and the like just increase at an ever greater rate. Perhaps admitting it here is the first step to coming off the drug ... but perhaps not.

There are certainly worse vices.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

18 June 2013 11:20

Jeremy Keith Hammond;99402 wrote:

There are certainly worse vices.

Agreed.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

18 June 2013 11:23

Derek Howard;99401 wrote:

Perhaps admitting it here is the first step to coming off the drug ... but perhaps not.

Oh, I don’t want to "come off the drug" as you say. I just hadn’t realized that I had collected quite as many as I had. It is worth noting again that many of these are multiple copies of the same book and quite a few of them are not more than booklets. I included them all in the count because part of the reason I did this was to have a handy reference of precisely what I do own in the hope of avoiding purchasing something accidentally only to find I’d already had it. That’s one of the reasons I own multiple copies of some books.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

19 June 2013 03:41

Fr. Guy those 5 heraldry in the catholic church books you own are they in different languages or are they different editions ?

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

19 June 2013 20:48

Two are in English of the 1978 edition. One is in English in the expanded 1979 edition. One is in Italian. One is in Dutch. I also own a copy of Heim’s original book, Customs and Rights of Heraldry in the Catholic Church in French.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

20 June 2013 03:30

ah nice collection I own the Dutch version and one of the English editions not sure if it is the 78 or the 79 edition I will have to look that up.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

20 June 2013 11:10

The 1978 edition was published just as Pope John Paul I died. His arms are included at the front of the book. The 1979 edition has a chapter added to explain the use of the letter "M" in the arms of Pope John Paul II.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

21 June 2013 18:12

Today saw the arrival of Heraldry For Embroiderers by Vicky Lugg & John Willcocks. Published in 1990.