Statistical Importance

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

31 August 2006 21:22

In an earlier thread Nichols said, "I think what makes a CoA typical of, say USA, Scotland,France, Spain is rarely a charge or colour itself, but rather its statistical importance ... Statistically, dogwood flowers are far more frequent in America than elsewhere:they tend to become a typical american heraldic feature."

I’ve had a feeling that this is so.  But I’m curious where does one finds these stats.

Is there some organization or society that cranks out these statistics?  Where can one find the published data? Or is there a web site?

(OT: I apologize for my absence, but the computer I use is not mine.  It belongs to my roommate and he has had claim to it for the past several days.

Then, I’ve been involved in a self-study recently and that is taking some time. I hope to get back on a more regular basis after Labor Day.  Donnchad, you posted truly excellent heraldry and it answered a question I had in mind: is all

your work in cartooning style? Obviously not!)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

01 September 2006 03:06

Thank you Ed. smile And I have no idea where to find these stats.

Nicolas Vernot

Nicolas Vernot
Total Posts:  199
Joined  22-01-2006

03 September 2006 16:17

These stats are maid by… volunteers willing to make them !

A couple of decades ago, Michel Pastoureau gave heraldic studies a new breath by comparing the frequence of several charges from one area to another, and from one era to another. It then appeared, for example, that there was "lions areas" and "eagles areas" in the middle ages.

He also showed that Azure became more and more frequent while Gules was recessing.

I have made several statistics for the county of Burgundy and for Algeria (colonial heraldry), and it brought many interesting conclusions.

I can develop if desired.

Nicolas

PS : Sorry for being so quiet at the moment : I am very busy in my real life (new home, new family life…) ! I apologize towards those of you who wrote me privately : answers will come soon !

Edward Wenzl

Edward Wenzl
Total Posts:  158
Joined  18-04-2006

04 September 2006 21:58

Thank you for the reply.  When it is convenient for you to do so, please develop the information.  I believe it would be very useful and helpful.  I appreciate your effort.