Heraldry Lecture

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

08 September 2006 17:04

Once again there was another wonderful evening on heraldry sponsored by the heraldry committee of the NY Genealogical & Biographical Society. This latest talk, also co-sponsored by the College of Arms Foundation, Inc. was given by Michael McCarthy, the proprietor of Thylacine Press and the author of several great books on ecclesiastical heraldry including his most recent Manual of Ecclesiastical Heraldry.

His talk was on external ornaments in Catholic Heraldy, a topic that has been discussed quite a bit on this forum in the religious heraldry category. Basically it was a summary of Chapter 5 of his book.

The talk was lavishly illustrated and included many fine anecdotes. In addition, Michael spoke a little about the Congress on Heraldic & Genealogical Sciences which he too attended in St. Andrews. In fact, he presented one of the papers.

So far his book has only been available direct from Thylacine Press in Australia which means you’ve had to pay for the book and the shipping. At present no U.S. outlet sells the book. However, Michael had several copies on hand to sell after his lecture and he did not sell them out. That means that you can purchase the book and save a little money. There are about 10 copies or so which he left with me. You would still contact him directly at Thylacine Press http://www.homepages.ihug.com.au/~thylacinepress/ in order to purchase the book. Until supplies run out for any book purchased by a resident of the United States Michael will simply contact me and have me mail the book to you. So, the book is still full price but you’d pay no shipping.

For anyone who does not yet have this book, it is worth having.