Army Football 1946-1961

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

09 September 2006 10:36

Found this old army footbal Design

Army

Thought it was pretty good for a sports team. Don’t know why more sports teams don’t use heraldry, it seems like it would be a good medium for them.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

09 September 2006 11:31

that is cool. 8)

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

09 September 2006 13:04

Linusboarder wrote:

Found this old army footbal Design

Army

Thought it was pretty good for a sports team. Don’t know why more sports teams don’t use heraldry, it seems like it would be a good medium for them.

We had an interesing discussion about hockey goalie masks back in the old forum you may want to check out.

http://forums.heraldrysociety.us/showthread.php?t=1583&highlight=hockey

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 September 2006 14:59

Oh dear.  This is not the logo of the Army football team.  Its the coat of arms of the US Military Academy as an institution—even appears on the uniform insignia and on the center of the corps color (flag).

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

09 September 2006 15:55

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Oh dear.  This is not the logo of the Army football team.  Its the coat of arms of the US Military Academy as an institution—even appears on the uniform insignia and on the center of the corps color (flag).

Oh, the football team must have just used the Military Acadamy CoA until ‘61.

My mistake

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

09 September 2006 21:14

Used it how? I’ve seen old pictures of the Army team and never seen the arms on the uniforms anywhere. The designs in the source seem fine, but the dates assigned are far from reliable. For example, the site dates a University of Alabama logo showing an elephant walking through a block letter A from 1959.  But in fact this design did not come into use until about 1970 or 71 at the earliest.  It was still a new design when I started at Alabama in 1973.  I’d take this source with a grain of salt when it comes to dates.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

09 September 2006 21:25

I think it was the logo, even though it wasn’t on the uniform. A lot of older football teams had a logo that was never on the uniform itself but always appeared on other stuff (merchandise, etc.) For example an "official" logo of Ohio State is this even though it appears on no OSU sports teams unis or anything. However it is an official Logo.

Older football teams rarely used any type of logos on uniforms at all, so it’s not suprising at all that you didn’t see this logo on any old uniform, and Army stays true to it’s roots. Even presently Army Football uses no logo , this practice was VERY common up until the 60’s. I suspect (even though I am not an expert on Army football history, this is just an educated guess) that Army football just adopted Westpoint’s Arms as it’s official logo until the 60’s when someone decided that they needed their own seperate identity.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

10 September 2006 14:00

Yes, and lots of colleges used the college seal or coat of arms on various sports related items like sweatshirts, mugs, and pennants.  That doesn’t make them (or the USMA coat of arms) sports logos.