The Beginning…....I hope ;)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

12 October 2006 15:10

Louis… much "better-ish" on the second try! This way, by removing the bottom mantling, the eye does not loose sight of the lines showing the shield and is not wandering due to a sea of Or and Purpure. Much "better-ish" mate! 8)

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

12 October 2006 15:18

Denny,

I hope you were not under the impression I was taking offense at anything you wrote, I was simply chiming with some ‘behind the scenes’ info.

Actually I agreed with some of what you said via PM with Loius already, in particular about the mantling.

In no way am I trying to dissuade anyone from offering constructive criticism.  Sorry of my message gave anyone that impression.

-M

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

12 October 2006 15:31

Oh no Mark, that’s why I said in case others did and if you did, etc. No problems mate. It’s all good. I just know that others might read it wrong, so I wanted to clear any of that up right away. That’s all.

That’s the problem with these MBs… no one can tell what you are truly saying and how you are saying it… so be it. smile

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

12 October 2006 17:17

Louis,

I think you did not go far enough in removing the "foliage".  I think you could take the hedge clippers and remove everything below the second or third row of crowns (from the top down).

Otherwise, nice work.

—Guy

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

13 October 2006 12:25

Well, heck, I’ll chime in, too. Now this is nothing more than a personal taste issue: I really dislike mantling that looks like some odd, polychromed form of oak-leaf ivy. It doesn’t look at all like the tattered remnants of a cloth mantle attached to the helm and just tends to confuse people who are new to heraldry (remember Colin’s question about surrounding his wife’s shield with garlands?). I always prefer something that looks like it might have at one time been made of cloth and might have at one time hung from a helm as a mantle. But, that’s just personal taste.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

13 October 2006 19:51

Since there are several distinct types of crowns/coronets which I believe are treated as heraldically distinct, IMO you should pick one type & stick to it.  While there is of course some latitude for the artist in depicting the coronets, they should still IMO be clearly of the same type no matter who draws them.

Others—Thoughts?

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

13 October 2006 20:42

Guy Power wrote:

Louis,

I think you did not go far enough in removing the "foliage".  I think you could take the hedge clippers and remove everything below the second or third row of crowns (from the top down).

—Guy

I concur. Something like this:

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/210861.jpg

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

14 October 2006 01:40

Good Father, I really like this. Louis I’d use this as a template for future designs. But, that is my personal taste on the matter.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

16 October 2006 18:32

Louis,

I need to send you a PM, but your PM box is full, could you delete some so I can send you somehting.

Thanks in advance

Jongr90

Jongr90
Total Posts:  94
Joined  20-04-2006

17 October 2006 19:22

Done…thanks for telling me..no wonder I wasn’t getting any replies for my PMs.

Jongr90

Jongr90
Joined  20-04-2006

26 October 2006 22:58

Finally I have my newest one. Mr. Patrick Williams’. I took some of your guys’ advice, and from what I can gather from them along with the armiger’s requests here’s his arms. Any comments?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v517/Maramalo/PatrickWilliamsArms.png

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 October 2006 01:22

Louis, several things mate.

One, I like this amount of mantling much, much more than the previous ones. It is elegant, clear, and not too fussy. It allows the shield to remain as the core of the achievement whilst being an attractive side-kick so to speak. Much, much better mate and I think probably a great candidate for future mantling IMHO. Big bonus on that one!

Two, the cutting of the mantling is much better as it does not look so much like ‘foliage’ as the previous ones did. Now, mind you, that was fine, but for me it had too much of a baroque feel to it. This style is much closer to a cut/torn mantle one would expect to see after a battle. (P.S. the tassels nice touch as well, I like them, but no one I’ve done arms for has asked to have them).

Three, I absolutely love the richness of the Gules. It is at one time a true Gules and not a Sanguine, whilst still appearing as a Sanguine. Which, by the way if I had a say in my father and uncle’s design on our arms I would have chosen Sanguine and Argent, or at least Gules and Argent. So obviously I am biased on that, however I truly like the deep, rich color; very well done.

Four, Great job on the highlighting and shading! The shading is not so dark as to appear burnt. It makes the shield have depth and is a very nice rendition of highlight and shade techniques.

Five, I like the style of helmet. If that was Patrick’s choice - kudos to Patrick. If it was your imagination - kudos to you.

Now I can’t see any flaws yet, but that is likely because I like what I see so much now. I will try to look at it with a more critical eye tomorrow in order to see if I have any constructive criticism to provide for continued development.

Very nicely done Louis.

Jongr90

Jongr90
Joined  20-04-2006

27 October 2006 01:35

Hehe…...thanks! Patrick was the one who wanted either a great helm or a tilting helm, and I’ve not yet done a great helm on anybody’s arms so I chose that. Also Mr. Williams expressed that he did not like the leaf-like mantling in one of his posts in here, so I tried to move away from those.

Well….thanks again! *Anxiously waits for tommorow*

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

27 October 2006 03:35

A comment from me, nice picture but I feel if I look at it that the helmet is a bit to much to the left (normal left), and as the helmet is hanging over the shield you might consider putting some shadow beneath it going over the top of the shield. It would make it look more natural as other things are also shaded.

Jongr90

Jongr90
Joined  20-04-2006

27 October 2006 17:15