Italian Heraldry

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

19 September 2006 00:05

So, I know that in Iberian heraldry there are some normal heraldic practices that makes it obviously Iberian. The same can be said of British.

But, I was wondering what are some, if there are any, characteristics of Italian heraldry.

Not only mention them, if you’d be so kind, but please direct me towards reference material as well.

Thanks.

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

19 September 2006 01:10

I think the horse-head shaped shield is one typically "italian" feature, but I can’t think of many more offhand.  Then again I’m certainly no expert.

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

19 September 2006 06:59

From CA von Volborth’s "Heraldry of the World" (1973):

- in addition to "all the usual forms of shield", there are some characteristic Italian shapes, e.g. an almond shape, and the so-called "horse-head" shape;  women often use ovals

- crests are rare, "and are not used by commoners"

- helmet is silver with gold visor and bars for nobles; steel or silver with raised gold visor for patricians; iron-coloured with closed visor for commoners

- wreath is much slimmer than in other countries "and is easily overlooked"

- supporters are rare, and are usually confined to the higher aristocracy

<hr class=“bbcode_rule” >

If you Google, you’re sure to find some Italian heraldic websites with pics.  The Italian word for a coat of arms is "stemma" (or "stemmi"), and heraldry is "araldica".

Also try:  http://www.maineworldnewsservice.com/caltrap/italtabc.htm

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 September 2006 08:43

A characteristic of the arms of prominent families from the Renaissance period and before is the chief signifying loyalty to either the Guelphs or the Ghibellines, the two main powers contending for dominance of Italy during the time.  The first party, which supported the power of the Holy Roman Emperor, was symbolized by the capo dell’Impero (chief of the Empire), gold with an eagle or demi-eagle displayed sable.  The second, which supported the temporal power of the Papacy (which was in turn dominated by France during this period), was symbolized by the capo d’Angio (chief of Anjou), blue with three gold fleurs-de-lis and a label Gules.

For more detail on this and other Italian heraldic practices, see Louis Mendola’s "Distinguishing Characteristics of Medieval Italian Heraldry" at http://www.regalis.com/reg/medherald.htm.  Some of the things Mendola highlights are:

- Predominant use of plain gules and azure fields.

- Uncommon to find arms in which ordiinaries are the main or only feature.

- Differencing for cadency rare; done by change of tincture when done at all

- Realistic style of emblazonment

- Frequent use of "proper" for natural charges (animals, castles, plants)

Under the Kingdom of Italy (mid 19th to mid 20th centuries), there was a well-defined system of helmets and coronets of rank and an armorial regulatory body called the Consulta Araldica.  It was abolished when the republic was established in the wake of World War II.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

20 September 2006 01:04

thank you all.