Anticipating the Grover Cleveland president article

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

19 October 2006 16:34

Quote:

The Cleaveland coat-of-arms is: Or chevron sable and ermine a chevron engrailed and counter charged. Crest: A demi old man proper habited proper, having on a cap gules turned up with a hair front holding in the dexter hand a spearheaded argent, on the top of which is fixed a line proper, passing behind him, and coiled up in the sinister hand.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hubbard/NNY_index/cleaveland.html

Were these Grover’s arms?

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

20 October 2006 10:54

I’m at work and can’t access the link, but that blazon sure needs some work.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 October 2006 00:06

Per chevron Sable and Ermine a chevron engrailed counterchanged.

These are indeed the arms of Grover Cleveland, subject to two caveats:

-  They seem not to have been granted by any British authority, which troubles some people.  However, they do seem to have been used by President Cleveland’s ancestors (specifically General Moses Cleaveland) in what is now the US and therefore can be considered as theirs by assumption.

-  I have not yet found any evidence that the President himself made use of them.

Sorting out these questions is one reason the Cleveland article has not yet been written.

One more time on Reagan, while we’re talking presidents:  can anyone take credit for the article on the Reagan arms that appeared in our news section when Reagan died?  I want to use it as the core of the Reagan article and want to give credit where credit is due, but for some reason I can’t get anyone to raise his hand as having written it.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 October 2006 11:23

I grew up with Reagan and love him (warts and all). I can’t wait for his article. Of course I’ve liked the other articles and so I can’t wait for any of them really. This is one of the nicest things I’ve seen done by the AHS.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

24 October 2006 19:32

Here’s the shield of the Cleveland arms; the crest is going to take some elaborate drawing.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeohzt4/cleveland.PNG

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

24 October 2006 20:03

I like it Joe. smile