Some new US Navy heraldry

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

29 October 2006 03:47

The Class of Arleigh Burke-class Destroyers continues to grow, som of the newest additions have got the following CoA:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2428/mainpagesnavbarr1c1bg9.gif

CoA of USS Kidd.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8570/uss101bi8.jpg

CoA or the USS Gridley

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

29 October 2006 09:39

A little comment on the Gridley’s arms:  The sun issuing from chief is the one characteristic of the arms of the Philippines; the little arrowheads are the symbol used by the Army Institute of Heraldry to signify an assault.  I would take it that the upper half of the shield is therefore a reference to the Battle of Manila Bay in 1898, in which the ship’s namesake, Captain Charles V. Gridley, commanded Commodore George Dewey’s flagship, USS Olympia.  And (although my Latin is pure guesswork) the motto, Ignis ubi paratus, just has to mean "Fire when ready," an allusion to Dewey’s order, "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley."

USS Kidd is the third destroyer named after Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, the senior officer killed at Pearl Harbor, who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his attempt to repel the Japanese attack from his flagship, USS Arizona.  The phoenix arising from flames could refer simply to the recovery from that attack, or to the family legacy to the USN—his son, Isaac Kidd, Jr., retired as a full admiral and his grandson, Isaac Kidd III, is (was?) a captain in the Navy the last I heard.  The crest of King Kamehameha must be a reference to Hawaii as the location of Pearl Harbor, the two stars to the senior Admiral Kidd’s rank.

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

01 November 2006 12:19

Does the Army’s Institute of Heraldry do this work for the Navy?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

01 November 2006 12:22

Joseph McMillan wrote:

A little comment on the Gridley’s arms…

Fascinating stuff Joe. I always find your heraldic history very interesting

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

01 November 2006 12:41

Ben Foster wrote:

Does the Army’s Institute of Heraldry do this work for the Navy?

Yes, I’m pretty sure the arms of the new Navy surface warships (destroyers and cruisers) are all done by TIOH.  The Institute’s legal/regulatory charter permits it to do heraldic work on a reimbursable basis for any element of the federal government, and I believe the Navy has given it the "contract" to do the arms for these ships.  (The artistic style is a pretty good clue in any case.)  There’s no rule that requires the Navy to use TIOH’s services, but I think in this case they do.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

01 November 2006 12:47

Just noticed another detail in the Kidd arms—in the crest, Kamehameha is supporting with his left hand a gold star with two points up and a design on the center.  I’d bet this is the posthumous Medal of Honor awarded to R.Adm. Kidd for gallantry at Pearl Harbor.

Regarding the swords crossed behind each shield:  The one bendwise is the commissioned officer’s saber; the one bendwise sinister is the cutlass worn by petty officers and formerly used by sailors in combat.  I think the hilt on the cutlass in the Kidd arms should actually be steel-colored, as it is in the Gridley arms, unless there’s some reason to the contrary of which I’m not aware.

The fesswise sword in chief in the Kidd arms is an officer’s saber.

Finally, it occurs to me that the flames below the phoenix in the Kidd arms appear to be floating on the water in base—very appropriate allusion to the Pearl Harbor attack.

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

01 November 2006 16:30

for more on the coa of navy ships see this link : http://www.navysite.de/ships.htm

first select the class of ship and then a specific vessel :p

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

05 November 2006 07:16

Thank you all for you interesting contributions.

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/6743/ship27s20crestlargefg7.gif

CoA of LPD 20, some rather non heraldic designs with a Ship’s siluette.

The Blason:

"SHIELD:  Or, a pale Azure (Dark Blue), the Green Bay City logo Proper all edged of the first; an a chief wavy Vert the silhouette of the PG 101 Sable, fimbriated Or.

CREST:  From a wreath Or and Azure (Dark Blue), a maple wreath Vert surmounted by an anchor of the first, the stock Gules charged with the Wisconsin State seal Proper.

MOTTO:  A tripartite motto scroll Or doubled Vert inscribed “STATUM BELLO INVICTUS MANEO”, of the last.

SUPPORTERS:  A United States CPO saber and Marine NCO sword saltirewise points down proper.

Symbolism:

SHIELD:  Dark Blue and Gold, the colors traditionally associated with the Navy, represent the sea and excellence.  The blue pale symbolizes the historic waterway of the Fox River, the entrance which leads to the City of Green Bay, the first settlement in Wisconsin.  The Green Bay logo recalls the heritage and spirit of the city, which includes the city’s football team “The Green Bay Packers”.  The chief signifies authority.  The silhouette commemorates the previous ship, USS GREEN BAY (PG 101), which served as aggressor in fleet exercises, while serving in Guantanimo Bay, Cuba.  The wavy division of the shield suggests the shoreline, combined with the pale alludes to the ship’s mission of amphibious transport of troops.

CREST:  The maple wreath conveys success and achievement, signifying the state tree of Wisconsin, sugar maple.  The anchor represents naval strength and maritime tradition.  Red denotes sacrifice.  The restock of the anchor exemplifies the Marine Corps, highlighting the Navy and Marine team.  The state seal alludes to Wisconsin’s industry and honors the state being the “heart of America”.

SUPPORTERS:  The crossed naval and marine swords symbolize readiness and cooperation of the Navy-Marine war fighting team.

MOTTO:  The motto “STATUM BELL INVICTUS MANEO” translates to “STAND AND FIGHT, REMAIN UNVANQUISHED”.  The scroll displays the colors of the “Green Bay Packers”, green and gold, which honor the city’s admiration and commitment for their football team."

Picture, Blason and symbolism from http://www.greenbay.surfor.navy.mil/Site Documents/Crest.aspx

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

05 November 2006 07:23

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1975/lgcrestgf7.gif

"SHIELD

Dark Blue and Gold - Colors traditionally associated with the Navy, represent the sea and excellence.

Red Shield - Symbolizes valor and the RADM’s wartime service

Two Silver Stars - Honor the highest rank awarded to RADM Sampson, upon his retirement.

Five Gold Stars - The ships commanded by RADM Sampson; Alert, Mayflower, Swatara, San Francisco and Iowa.

Three Lightning Flashes - Denote the science and technology of USS Sampson, also highlights the former ships named Sampson.

Smaller Inner Shield - Displaying the embattled portion on top and lion recalls the Spanish ensign of 1898, during the Spanish-American War.

Lion - Represents the courage of RADM Sampson commanding the vessels that defeated the Spanish fleet.

CREST

The Demi-Doubled Bladed Battle Axe - Suggests USS Sampson’s execution of military duties at sea.

Bronze Star - Represents the battle star earned by the second vessel named for RADM Sampson, during World War II.

Laurel Wreath - A symbol of honor and achievement, commemorates RADM Sampson’s distinguished naval career.

The Heraldic Roses - Allude to the state flower of New York, the birthplace of RADM Sampson. The number of roses recall the various naval positions held by the RADM throughout his career, including Chief of the Bureau of Ordnance and Commandant of the Boston Navy Yard."

Picture and symbolism frpm http://www.sampson.navy.mil/ddg-102.htm?3

Jongr90

Jongr90
Total Posts:  94
Joined  20-04-2006

11 November 2006 19:15

Marcus K wrote:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8570/uss101bi8.jpg

CoA or the USS Gridley

Can someone explain the symbols on the Gridley’s CoA.  I’m Filipino and interested in any heraldry relating to the Philippines, which there isn’t many. So any little scraps makes me happy.  Now the Gridley’s CoA clearly has some Philippine symbols, the sun, sea lions (since the Philippines was an overseas or ultramar colony of Spain whose coat of arms had the Lion of Leon, there came the sealion, also the coat of arms/seal of the Philippine President), the colors resemble the Philippine flag, and the globe is centered near the Philippines. So anyone know what the whole thing means?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 November 2006 20:45

Luis,

See about five or six messages up this thread.

Jongr90

Jongr90
Total Posts:  94
Joined  20-04-2006

11 November 2006 21:17

I see, I see…any info on the other parts other than the upper part of the shield, and the swords?

BTW…it’s Louis wink

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

11 November 2006 21:52

First, sorry about the name misspelling.

As to the rest, I’m not sure there’s much left.  The octagonal shield in the crest is the standard USN symbol for the Aegis radar/air defense system with which the DDG-51 class of destroyers is equipped.  The trident in base is a standard symbol of naval power.  The colors, aside from being those of the Philippines, are (except for the yellow) also those of the United States).  The fess or bar wavy is obviously merely nautical.  You’re probably right that the sea lions are a reference to the Philippines, although why one is gold and the other silver I don’t know.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

05 January 2007 06:50
Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

05 January 2007 10:44

the more i see the heraldry our armed service use the more i really, really like it. they are very good at it i think.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Joined  06-05-2005

05 January 2007 12:14

Donnchadh wrote:

the more i see the heraldry our armed service use the more i really, really like it. they are very good at it i think.

Well for the most part I agree with you, but as always the are exeptions like the including of both Bleu Celeste and Azure in the CoA of USS Pearl Harbor.