New Campus…time to assume first CoA?

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Total Posts:  47
Joined  26-08-2006

05 November 2006 11:24

Greetings,

Antioch University McGregor in Yellow Springs, Ohio is building a new campus for the first time in our 20 year History.  This has created a unique opportunity for us to:

—explore icons and symbols that uniquely reflect our values, beliefs and mission

—while acknowledging our history (Antioch College founded 1852)

—and that today we are part of a 6 college university.

Most recently this internal dialogue has included what flag/s we might fly should we have a flag pole.  This is a challenge when flags (as CoAs) symbolize unity to some and war to others.

I have been amazed how personal arms have evolved through this group’s collective efforts and I ask you to consider doing the same for McGregor as I would very much like my friends and colleagues at Antioch University McGregor to consider assuming a CoA.

I need to be clear there has not been any agreement that McGregor will assume arms…I would however like to make that my individual proposal to my coworker as they consider many options during this time of change.  Would those willing please suggest some options!  Thanks!!!

Background:

Antioch University McGregor offers socially responsive, flexible and innovative education programs for adult learners.  McGregor features a wide array of bachelor’s degree completion programs, master’s programs in conflict resolution, management and education and also individualized liberal and professional studies programs.

Antioch is a six campus university located in four states with headquarters in Yellow Springs, Ohio.  Antioch University McGregor is one of the six campuses.  Each independent campus has its own distinct academic programs, community life and identity while functioning under the centralized Antioch University organizational umbrella that provides appropriate vision and values along with the cost-effective delivery of services. Antioch University exists to develop individuals who desire to grow in their commitment to the improvement of the human condition through responsible leadership in their careers and communities.

Originating from Antioch College as an adult degree completion program in 1986, we are name after previous Antioch College President Douglas McGregor who is perhaps best remembered as the creator of management theory x and y and his book “The Human Side of Enterprise”.

The first President of Antioch College was Horace Mann and words from his last Commencement speech have become the slogan for all Antioch including McGregor.  “Be ashamed to die until you have won some small victory for humankind”

We share our founding organization’s value of social responsibility.

“At the end of the day, most people are happy if they make a difference in this world. At Antioch University McGregor we believe you can be the difference.”

– Barbara Gellman-Danley, President

Mission Statement

Antioch University McGregor is imbued with an entrepreneurial spirit and strives to provide high quality, socially responsive, flexible, and innovative educational programs.  Antioch University McGregor seeks to pass on to its graduates a legacy of passion for lifelong learning and a commitment to the application of knowledge toward the betterment of our workplaces, our communities, and the wider society.

Vision Statement

Antioch University McGregor contributes to the betterment of the individual and the community by fostering academic excellence and providing socially responsive, flexible, and innovative education programs for adult learners.

Colors

McGregor colors are blue and gold.

The great debate:

The college founded in 1852 never had a CoA however there are two symbols that are embedded in the Antioch College identity

-Circle A Squared

http://www.antioch-college.edu/news/releases/newsitem.php?id=63  (logo in banner)

-Towers

http://www.antioch-college.edu/About/index.html  (towers in background)

A number of people want to retain these symbols while others do not want to adopt because they are symbols of the “college”

Home Page

http://www.mcgregor.edu/index.html

New building

http://www.mcgregor.edu/about/news/campuswest.html

[removed]NewWindow(‘http://www.mcgregor.edu/about/news/campuswest/index.html’,’‘,‘620’,‘430’,‘custom’,‘front’);

Student testimonials

http://www.mcgregor.edu/media/testimonialcomm.mp4

Student profiles

http://www.mcgregor.edu/cr/crprofiles/index.html

http://www.mcgregor.edu/CCM/profiles/index.html

Best Regards,

Rob

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

05 November 2006 12:47

Well ... as long as they know to keep their "Cirlce A Squared" logo separate from a COAT of ARMS .... we’ll be just fine.  smile

I wonder at the name McGregor?  And how strong a connection is McGregor?  Does Antioch bear more recognition?

Of course using themes from the MacGregor chiefly arms is very tempting:

ghp wrote:

Argent issuant from a base Vert between two swords imbedded hilts upwards, an oaktree fructed proper gorged of an antique crown Gules upon the base an open book with the word ANTIOCH scribed thereupon; upon a chief (color) between two lamps Gules a representation of the Towers proper.

[tongue-in-cheek]

Since college students love to be PC I’ve stuck the blade tips into the mound to symbolize "world peace" and "kumbaiya" (bwa-hahahha), and instead of having the oak tree eradicated, I’ve maintained it in the earth to show their concern for ecology (yeah, right).  The diabolical red crown symbolizing the evil IMF & World Bank imperialism of the Global Economy will not stop the Greens from growing—the green tree (symbolic of the Earth Goddess) grows although constricted by the crown.  Finally, the red lamps of education will light the way (and the school buildings) during the blackouts that will ensue because the US does not subscribe to the Kyoto Accord.

[/tongue-in-cheek]

I’ve also thought about placing the lamps above the sword hilts instead, leaving just the Towers in chief.

Oh .... and what is it called when a tree is "gorged" by an object?  I know that’s not the correct term.

Wordy!!!

—Guy

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

06 November 2006 00:59

I went ahead and put together a picture based on Father Guys Blazon. (note: my blazon skills aren’t really that good so I may have messed something up… also "Antioch" would have been too small here so i didn’t put it on the book

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/76dc466e2a.png

I think i will probably put together my own idea, with the school colors (azure and or) more prominantly involved

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

06 November 2006 16:47

Linusboarder wrote:

I went ahead and put together a picture based on Father Guys Blazon.

Wrong Guy .... it is I, not Fr. Guy.  smile

Again, good job.  Thank you very much.

Cheers,

—Guy

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

06 November 2006 23:07

Whoops sorry Guy, for some reason I thought you were father. My mistake

Also Here we go I made some of the changes from the blazon. Like I said, I’m still not great at reading/writing blazons. Note: I kept the lanterns the same, and also didn’t make it a hill because it would make it extremely more difficult just for this throw together clipart version i was putting together. Also the 2 towers were just supposed to be the center 2 towers, but mnore can be added.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/d232dce759.png

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

07 November 2006 00:22

Linusboarder wrote:

Whoops sorry Guy, for some reason I thought you were father. My mistake

Well,  I’m sure you didn’t mean to insult Fr. Guy!!  LOL

I understand the restrictions you’re laboring under with the software and I really appreciate you emblazoning what I attempted to blazon.  You did a right fine job, that’s for certain.

Chief: Vert is too much alone, as is Azure.  Can we split the difference and have the chief Vert in base and the rest Azure—I don’t know how to blazon that.  It could replicate lawn and sky—the perfect setting for a university building!

Regards,

—(the other) Guy

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

07 November 2006 01:23

Guy Power wrote:

Chief: Vert is too much alone, as is Azure.  Can we split the difference and have the chief Vert in base and the rest Azure—I don’t know how to blazon that.  It could replicate lawn and sky—the perfect setting for a university building!

Regards,

—(the other) Guy

Think it might be better to have Or in base and Rest Azure, that will match school colors too, which i think was wanted by the original poster

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

07 November 2006 12:10

Linusboarder wrote:

Think it might be better to have Or in base and Rest Azure, that will match school colors too, which i think was wanted by the original poster

Good point.  Or, perhaps reverse the order and have Azure in base to separate the Or from the Argent.

I know you said the book was too small to write "ANTIOCH" on the leaves:  Try breaking the words down similar to this:

|
<hr class=“bbcode_rule” >
|
|

| A N | O C |

| T I |  H   |

|
|
|

(hope the format doesn’t shift!)

Here’s a better example of how "Dominus Illuminatio Mea" is broken down:

http://www.mlfl.ox.ac.uk/crest.gif

I’m looking forward to seeing your (and others’) examples.

—Guy

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Total Posts:  47
Joined  26-08-2006

07 November 2006 12:50

Thank you both for your efforts… I am eager to see what else emerges.

Without doubt there is more name recognition with Antioch than with McGregor…however the challenge is in maintaining connection to the Antioch history while moving toward a unique McGregor identity…satisfying both those wanting to move past the towers & logo and those that want to keep them.

Guy, although "tongue in cheek" your suggestions are spot on for the college.  The adult students at McGregor are more moderate although the concepts of social responsibility and being the difference are shared values.

Best,

Rob

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

07 November 2006 22:14

One problem I am having is that with a proper tree and swords, and then red towers and Blue and Gold shiled is there are too many colors too look good. The shield I have now has turned into a cacophany of colors, so I am trying to fix that

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

07 November 2006 22:47

Here’s an idea I had. I dropped the Proper Oak tree to get rid of some of the color contrast I was having (Brown and Green) and made the towers proper and bigger, and Yellow instead of Red Lanterns.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/c6d51bbc97.png

charlesj68

charlesj68
Total Posts:  136
Joined  03-05-2004

08 November 2006 13:35

Linusboarder wrote:

Here’s an idea I had. I dropped the Proper Oak tree to get rid of some of the color contrast I was having (Brown and Green) and made the towers proper and bigger, and Yellow instead of Red Lanterns.

To my eyes at least this is better, but still too busy.

Maybe, use the swords to divide the field per saltire, place one tower each in the dexter and sinister divisions, a lamp in the base and the book in chief?  This image shows what I mean, but it’s bad because of proper-on-color.  But, I would also suggest making all the charges gold, simplifiying the color scheme even further.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/90d80342b2.jpg

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

08 November 2006 14:01

If you want to symbolize Antioch, why not use a Holy Hand Grenade?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

08 November 2006 14:25

I don’t want to intrude and come off as ‘all knowing’ or some such garbage. But… why not simplify the arms with normal/traditional heraldic devices to represent the charges that appear here. Moreover why not keep the tree and swords as charges and change tinctures so as to keep the McGregor theme alive and current? I mean… the towers could be represented by heraldic towers instead and I’m sure something could be done with the lamps… etc…

Of course I am operating on little sleep from last night (active in my party’s politics, so it was a long night…) and classes today et al so it is possible I am way off… if so just ignore me…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

08 November 2006 15:32

Madalch wrote:

If you want to symbolize Antioch, why not use a Holy Hand Grenade?

There you go!  "Azure a Holy Hand Grenade between five… (three, sir!)... three roundels barry wavy Or and Argent."

Seriously, since both the original Antioch campus and McGregor are in Yellow Springs, Ohio, how about using one or more roundels barry wavy Or and Argent as a pun on the name of the town?

I know it takes us in a different direction, but I can’t say I find any of the ideas to date all that stirring—sorry!

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

08 November 2006 15:59

Joseph McMillan wrote:

There you go!  "Azure a Holy Hand Grenade between five… (three, sir!)... three roundels barry wavy Or and Argent."

And for a crest, a vorpal bunny salient Argent.

Quote:

Seriously, since both the original Antioch campus and McGregor are in Yellow Springs, Ohio, how about using one or more roundels barry wavy Or and Argent as a pun on the name of the town?

Would it be better as Or and Argent, or Azure and Or?