Need some direction

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

01 December 2006 19:49

Excellent design! As someone with vert, sable, and or in his arms I really like your colors. wink

I would recommend you register your arms with the United State Heraldic Registry. Also for a relatively inexpensive amount they can render your arms.

Dave Shorey

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 December 2006 21:02

With the six crosses on the bend (which IMO look very nice!) you’re less likely to run into duplication problems—that was one concern I had about the versions with only three, which is much more commonly uses (three objects on a bend…).

As much as we all (& apparently you) like the latest design, stick it on the door of the fridge for a week or two before locking yourself in.  Blazon in haste, regret at leisure… If they look as good to you then as they do now, go for it!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

01 December 2006 23:10

loaba that’s great! welcome aboard. 8)

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

01 December 2006 23:41

I PM’d T.R., but haven’t heard anything as of yet.  I’m assuming that since he’s trying to set some time aside this weekend, we’ll be in touch soon enough!

I second that, welcome aboard!

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

02 December 2006 12:38

I’m almost 100% certain that this is what I want. But I do have another idea rolling around inside my head. I’ll work on it in photoshop and give it a whirl on the fridge as well.

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

02 December 2006 15:12

So my mom’s sister is in town and I got a chance to talk with her today at lunch. She told me that their side of the family is more than a little German and Polish and English.

Okay, so that means I’m pretty much a mutt and I can deal with that, but it also means that I really need to figure out how to incorporate an eagle into my arms now more than ever.

If you look at those countrys, and add in Spain as well, the heraldic eagle would be a great unifier. I’m thinking there are two style of Eagle I could possibly use; Roman or North American Indian (I also have some Cherokee and Mayan blood as well).

Thoughts?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

02 December 2006 15:27

Go with the North American Indian eagle. I think that would be a perfect symbol for what you are trying to convey. I’d put it where you had the eagle before

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

02 December 2006 15:39

loaba wrote:

So my mom’s sister is in town and I got a chance to talk with her today at lunch. She told me that their side of the family is more than a little German and Polish and English.

Okay, so that means I’m pretty much a mutt and I can deal with that, but it also means that I really need to figure out how to incorporate an eagle into my arms now more than ever.

An eagle, like a lion, is something that is often overdone.  I prefer mine rare.

Your shield, as it stands, is a wonderful example of elegance- don’t ruin it by adding an eagle.  I’d use an eagle for a crest, if you must have one.

How about a pair of eagle’s wings with a cross fleury between them?  That would look very Germanic, to my eye.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

02 December 2006 17:44

loaba,

How about using an eagle displayed sable armed or grasping in it’s dexter talon a mullet argent as a crest. Then you are still incorporating the eagle and mullet without changing your already lovely arms.

Take care,

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

03 December 2006 01:01

I would strongly urge you to not muddy the design with an eagle. I would follow the advice of others and place it as a crest. Further, there is no reason to assume that the cross fleury can not mean anyone else either… there are loads of German arms with crosses. It, like the lion and eagle, is the most used charge in heraldry and goes across every single national/cultural border.

There is something you could do to make it look more German and that is to leave the design of the shield alone and place the arms in a squatty shield. Look into the German Heraldry threads here and see that in German arms there is a tendency to use short/squatty shields. Do this and it can be both a nod to the German ancestry and the Dominguez ancestry.

Just be careful not to overload a shield with so many charges in order to hit every single facet of your life or you’ll ultimately wind up with a coat of arms that looks nothing like heraldry and more like a school’s ‘wanna be’ heraldic device.

When designing my family’s arms some time ago here someone said to "keep it simple" and it reminded me of what my dad used to say often K.I.S.S. (of course he was a military man and then a policeman and so he had many colorful acronyms the likes of which I can’t post here! wink ) But if you’re unaware of it it simply means ‘keep it simple stupid’. Now I’m not calling you that… I’m just saying it is what came to my mind when others here reminded me to keep it simple. I hope you do the same. The arms you have now are very, very nice and I’d hate to see them become cluttered… but they are not my arms and I don’t have to live with them so take it for what it’s worth…

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

03 December 2006 02:47

loaba

loaba
Joined  27-11-2006

03 December 2006 06:21

Phil, that’s very nice indeed. Thanks for the visual.

I tend to agree that the arms would simply be far too muddied if I added some other charge. What I need to do now is work on all the other elements that go into a CoA.

That eagle you’ve devised is wonderful, great job.

Madalch

Madalch
Total Posts:  792
Joined  30-09-2005

03 December 2006 13:10

PBlanton wrote:

Something like this:

Take care,

Perhaps it would look better to put the mullet as a charge on the eagle’s chest?

As it is, it looks like the eagle is doing a little dance- the funky chicken, perhaps?

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

03 December 2006 15:46

Madalch wrote:

Perhaps it would look better to put the mullet as a charge on the eagle’s chest?

As it is, it looks like the eagle is doing a little dance- the funky chicken, perhaps?

agreed…, or maybe one on either wing.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

03 December 2006 21:16

Madalch wrote:

What’s wrong with a little funky chicken dance?

You reminded me of when I was a Boy Scout—as an Ordeal member of the OA, we were required to wear a leather "thunderbird" eagle necklace that we lovingly named the "thunder-chicken" while doing community service.

OK, back on topic. How about something like this:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/loaba2.jpg

or

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/loaba3.jpg

Take care,