Extremely Interesting Ottoman Arms

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

04 December 2006 22:30

http://www.hanedan.org/r/R1_716.jpg

Hassan, do you have any idea what these are? They are obviously different from the state arms (my avatar). I found them on a website that I assume belongs to the Osmanli House, since its called hanedan.org any ideas? Google image search hanedan.org brings up some pretty interesting stuff.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

05 December 2006 12:40

I am interested in these arms as well, I hope our residant Middle Eastern Arms experts know something about it

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

05 December 2006 15:38

MohamedHossam wrote:

Hassan, do you have any idea what these are? They are obviously different from the state arms (my avatar). I found them on a website that I assume belongs to the Osmanli House, since its called hanedan.org any ideas? Google image search hanedan.org brings up some pretty interesting stuff.

They are less "arms" than simply a display of the tughra, the ceremonial signature, of the reigning Ottoman sultan.  There is a decent Wikipedia article on tughras which also breaks one down into its component parts at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tughra

David

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

19 December 2006 10:12

There is an argument to be made for both sides.  These are a representation of the Ottoman Sultan’s, Mehmet V’s, Imperial turghra.  However there is an argument to be made for the different Sultans or Padishahs using their tughra as a personal coat of arms.  In fact the arms/stalls of the two sultans who were invested as Knights of the Garter consisted of a red shield with each sultan’s tughra in .  Those were of Sultan Abdulmedjid and Sultan Abdulaziz of Turkey.  I seem to remember their arms on the walls of St. George’s Hall at Windsor Castle.

Either way, the tughra spells out the names and titles of Padishah Mehmed Reshad V or Turkey.  The tughra reads:

Mehmed Reshad Han bin Abdulmedjid el Muzaffar Dayman, i.e. Mehmed Reshad Han son of Abdulmedjid, the ever victorious.