Husband’s Impailing

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

10 December 2006 11:57

Is it a common practice in Ireland for a husband to display his arms impaled with is wifes? Is it something only common husbands who marry noble wives do?  It just seems like a break from the generally pro-man slant to heraldry…

I ask because Mr Power shared this beautiful achievement in another thread and it struck me as a little odd.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

10 December 2006 15:58

Everett,

I must say the topic of your thread lead me to a different thought:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/43/Impaled.gif

http://www.uh.edu/~cfreelan/vampires/tepes.gif

Vlad Tepech (aka "Vlad the Impaler" and "Dracula")

—Guy

Chapulin

Chapulin
Total Posts:  480
Joined  19-08-2005

10 December 2006 18:35

Thank you, I thought I was alone on that one smile

Mark Olivo

Mark Olivo
Total Posts:  536
Joined  23-02-2005

10 December 2006 22:27

Guy Power wrote:

I must say the topic of your thread lead me to a different thought:

—Guy

Spotting this thread title while looking over my shoulder, my wife gave me a bit of a short evil laugh.

I guess she agrees…

PS- I have no idea about Ireland

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

11 December 2006 06:19

To be boringly unwitty, impaling is the normal way in both the UK and Ireland to combine marital arms.  It certainly has nothing to do with female equality in the heraldic world—a wife was traditionally not allowed to display her own arms except in this impaled format, with her husband’s crest, while a husband had the option of displaying his arms in their original form, impaled with hers, or both, depending on the setting.  (E.g., he might have his own arms alone on his seal and writing paper, but impaled with hers on the family silver and carriage.)

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

11 December 2006 10:50

Joseph McMillan wrote:

To be boringly unwitty, impaling is the normal way in both the UK and Ireland to combine marital arms.

The caveat being that is supposedly (we’re getting into a real technicality here in terms of present heraldic practice) restricted to "times of peace" (you do not carry impaled arms into battle if a father or brothers are in being), unless the wife is an heraldic heiress, in which case it would be on an escutcheon of pretence.