Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

13 December 2006 13:08

http://mission.depaul.edu/_graphics/coatOfArms.gif

Quote:

The Coat of Arms

Coat Of Arms The main section of the shield consists of nine panes forming a heraldic cross, the symbol of the Christian faith. The center pane holds a heart which represents St. Vincent de Paul, for whom the university is named. Because he spent his life in the service of God and people, especially the poor, St. Vincent is considered to be the Apostle of Charity. The pane above the heart holds a crescent symbolizing Mary, the Immaculate Conception, the patroness of the United States.

The upper section contains a fleur-de-lis, symbol of France, Vincent’s homeland. Three are shown, representing the Trinity. This section also carries two symbols of Chicago. A line suggestive of the wall of a fort represents Fort Dearborn. The phoenix rising from the flames atop the shield is both a symbol of the Resurrection of Christ and the resurrection of the City of Chicago after the Great Fire of 1871.

The inscription 1898 refers to the year DePaul was first chartered by the State of Illinois as St. Vincent’s College. In 1907 a new charter was granted in the name of DePaul University. The motto of DePaul University, "Viam sapientiae monstrabo tibi," is taken from the biblical book of Proverbs (4:11) and is translated "I will show you the way of wisdom."

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

13 December 2006 15:37

This web graphic fiddles with the colors of the shield, for some reason.  The correct colors, as I recall them from printed pictures of the DePaul arms, are gold field, black cross quarterpierced, red heart (or I guess it could be blazoned as "checky of nine pieces, Or and Sable, in fess point a heart Gules, on a chief embattled, etc."

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

14 December 2006 11:29

Joseph McMillan wrote:

This web graphic fiddles with the colors of the shield, for some reason.

Yes; I was quite surprised to see this as I’m familiar with the usual ones.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

14 December 2006 12:07

Here are some interesting banners from the same university:

http://mission.depaul.edu/mission/banners.asp