Clan, Tribe, or Country?

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

25 December 2006 22:23

Which is more important when it comes to choosing colors for arms—clan, tribe, or country?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

26 December 2006 00:27

Trent wrote:

Which is more important when it comes to choosing colors for arms—clan, tribe, or country?

Personal Preference smile

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

26 December 2006 00:39

^That’s my thought exactly, Colin.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

26 December 2006 08:19

Trent wrote:

Depends on the tradition in which you’re designing the arms.  Scottish tradition is for all arms belonging to people with the same surname to be derived from the arms of the chief of that name (clan or lowland family).  That quite often means the use of at least some of the same colors.

But, of course, in the US the decision to follow a particular design tradition is ultimately a personal choice, so the answer "personal taste" is also correct.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

26 December 2006 17:40

I agree with Joe. On the Irish side there is the tendency to do the same, but it is not as ingrained as it is in the Scottish system. Of course with the Irish and Scottish being cousins one can see why there would be some similarity ... plus it is just a nice way to do it if you can as it combines the individuality of the armiger with a desire to show belonging/allegiance to a group.

Just my $.02.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

26 December 2006 18:27

hmm, well, personally, and this is just my feeling, in a country such as the United States where there are many different cultures and nationalities, you should so some of your national signs. For example, my arms feature the colors (as well as crescent and three stars (:mullet: of five points) of the old Egyptian flag.

But, let me add my voice to the personal preference chorus!