movement on irish heraldry ...  :)

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

27 December 2006 13:10

I don’t know about the political movement of the Irish Heraldic Authority/CHofI, but I do know that on their website they have added a very attractive section called, “Arms Granted 1936 to 1980” (new to me anyway). It is fifth from bottom on the links there. Just click it and view the wonderful examples of Irish arms. These are recent paintings of grants during that time and are not finished – there is more to come. I loved it and I seen our very own Mr. Power’s arms there – or at least his father’s. It is all very nice indeed.

http://www.nli.ie/fr_offi.htm

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

27 December 2006 13:19

Thanks for turning me on to that Irish site!  It’s inspirational.  I’ve always preferred arms without helms and mantling.

You mentioned in another thread that your are an artist.  What kind of artist are you?  Do you have arms on the members page?  Why no avatar?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 December 2006 13:55

Hi Trent. These are my arms on the member’s arms page (it is watermarked so no one can steal it, as another student did some time ago ... long story):

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/MemberArmPages/membersarms.php?page=MacGoff

I like mine basic with little or no highlights or shading – just flat and plain. So, of all the different arms I’ve created for myself this is the one I chose to have in the Member’s Arms section. You can see my bookplate being made in progress here at: http://forums.heraldrysociety.us/showthread.php?t=2206

And my latest creation for a client here at:

http://forums.heraldrysociety.us/showthread.php?t=2241

Also there is another very good artist on my member’s arms page, Mr. Ton de Witte, who rendered my arms for me. Very good artist and I would recommend his work to anyone in a New York minute!

As for others, I have made arms for Michael Swanson, David Boven, Fr. Guy, Fr. Archer, Patrick Williams, Guy Power, Ton de Witte, Robert Hardin, T.R. (but we are waiting for his work to pick up before we complete the transaction), and John Duncan of Sketraw as for member’s and guests here. Not all of them have placed the arms I designed for them in the member’s arms section though.

To date I have rendered 97 coats of arms for people and I’ve only been doing this art form for about a year or so now. I have made three achievements on wood using acrylics and am working on a fourth for my mom’s kitchen make over (on this one I am antiquing the whole achievement to give the impression of an antique [duh Donnchadh that should’ve been obvious…LOL]).

Prior to this I worked as a cartoonist and photographer, which of course I still do. My mediums for the cartooning were mixed (design markers – not your store brand crap mind you but the professional design markers, pastels, charcoal, ink, and colored pencils). My landscape sceneries are made using the same mediums.

Obviously my photography is a different bird all together. I’ve been doing cartooning since I was in junior high school and photography since I was in high school. I have one art degree as well as a business degree and am working to complete my art degree in the field of interior design/interior architecture. So, in a nutshell that is the sort of artist I am.

As for no avatar, well, I had one, one that John Duncan of Sketraw made for me and it is excellent. I removed it when I was remodeling my user profile and I have simply not taken the time to put it back up there. I should right now, but … I am very busy, as my full time work is as an online customer service agent, which is why I am able to post here so often (during down time) as I’m already on line. Maybe I will soon …

edited to correct the number… sorry…

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

27 December 2006 14:10

Donnchadh wrote:

...As for others, I have made arms for ... Guy Power…. Not all of them have placed the arms I designed for them in the member’s arms section though.

Denny, I’ve been waiting for TR to get some free time; I’ll ask him after the dust settles.

And for the public record, I am highly pleased with your emblazon!

—Guy

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 December 2006 14:22

No problems Guy. I hope you didn’t infer I was upset over it not being there. I just wanted to make clear to Trent that not all the arms that people have done for them are in the member’s arms section since he mentioned the member’s arms section in relation to my arms. Please don’t think I was offended over this… not even close.

Now… if I can only get Clarissa to help me with the web page she promised to build if we went out on a date so I can showcase some of my work… that was many months ago now and she has not moved on it one bit, but we’ve certainly moved past one date and even simple dating… we’re now a "couple" as she puts it… I think I got shafted there… J/K smile

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

27 December 2006 15:14

Thanks.  I recall seeing those arms before.  I didn’t know that they were yours.

Do you emblazon electronically—with clipart and graphics programs?

What do you think Swanson’s argument against supporters?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 December 2006 16:35

Trent, I do not do digital art - mostly because I don’t know how; if I did I’d offer it alongside my freehand work. I do my work free hand as with all of my art (excluding photography). And my creations are from my abilities therein such as they are. I do look over other artists and get inspiration, but I try not to steal any of their work, as that would p**s me off for another to do to me. But, if I can take a general idea and tweak it into my own creation and give credit for the inspiration to another so be it. So, in that mode I don’t use clipart either. smile

Slakrking

Slakrking
Total Posts:  71
Joined  30-11-2006

27 December 2006 16:38

Denny,

If its a lack of HTML programming, there are some pretty slick packages for new websites that are easy to use and produce a not so bad looking site. You could look at www.1and1.com or www.godaddy.com and both of those sites have web-hosting pretty cheap with site designer software geared to the non-programmer types.

Rand

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

27 December 2006 16:43

Thanks Rand. But, my point was a smack at myself as Clarissa came up to me at school one day and asked if I’d like to go out on a date. I told her I’d think about it (I’m 34 and she’s 25 now, but at the time she was 24 and I was 33). I had dated one of her friends and she recommended Clarissa ask me out, so that’s how we met originally.

So a couple of days later I told her I would if she would build me a website (she’s in the graphic arts department at school). She agreed and we went out and hit it off. So much so that I no longer date anyone else and as she is oft to say we are a couple now. And yet… she has yet to build my website… LOL… ahhh the power of the woman over the man… sigh…

Thanks for the site Rand. I will look into it, as I think Clarissa has no reason now to uphold her end of the original bargain… wink

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Total Posts:  55
Joined  31-10-2006

27 December 2006 18:21

Mr. Westgate: When you built a website with a program provided by "1and1" or "godaddy"; after your obligated term of service is used; can you save and re-use the website you built elsewhere? Are they portable websites?

focusoninfinity

focusoninfinity
Total Posts:  55
Joined  31-10-2006

27 December 2006 18:37

I’ve got two free picture "watermark" programs; but where do you get the program that disables, "right click-save"?  Several times I’ve been able to work around this feature after I e-mailed the webpage to my self; but it was a pain, and not worth the effort. There is another program which disables seeing the webpage’s "source" code. Don’t know if that still works after you e-mail it to your self? If the source view is not written in HTML, I don’t know what I’m looking at anyway (ie., those little boxes?). But likely many, more computer literate; would know the non-HTML language? So…, I understand some webpages have the source view encrypted; yet anyone can see the webpage per se, anyway. I can’t grasp how that works if my computer does not have the decryp cypher?

Slakrking

Slakrking
Total Posts:  71
Joined  30-11-2006

27 December 2006 20:22

Mr. Miller,

I am not sure, I assume you could, but without the software to create them, I doubt you could update them, but like I said, I really do not know

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

28 December 2006 17:59

Hey Guy, is that an ancestor of yours on page 7 under "Personal Arms"? Raleigh Broughton Power