Assumption of arms in the colonies

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

29 December 2006 12:27

In addition to being a differenced version of the Forster arms, my arms are also a differenced version of those of my ancestor, Capt. William Gerrish.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5691/gerrishmass1dh6.gif

These arms are recorded in family papers as well as Matthews’ American Armoury.  William was born in Bristol on August 18, 1617.  At this point, I have been unable to locate any record of these arms at the College of Arms. Interestingly, distant Gerrish cousins in England report a long history of usage of the same arms.

Hence, the ultimate origin of these arms is something of a mystery.  One obvious conclusion is that these arms were simply assumed by William.  William married Joanna Lowell, daughter of Pervical Lowell, a prominent merchant (the patriarch of the Boston Lowells), and may have deemed in necessary to be an armiger himself.

This, however, does not explain the use of the arms by the family in England.  The Gerrish name is of some antiquity, and is recorded as early as 1273 in Oxfordshire.  My review of early property and estate records from Oxfordshire and Somersetshire indicate that the family was "landed," so it would not be out of the ordinary for them to be armigers.  Is it possible they could have been "missed" by the visitations?  Any thoughts on where to look next?