Charges

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

30 December 2006 22:58

Can charges be used by themselves to divide colors?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

30 December 2006 23:01

Personally, I would say no. Since charges are put on the shield. They are not part of the shield, or part of the partition.

loaba

loaba
Total Posts:  138
Joined  27-11-2006

30 December 2006 23:17

MohamedHossam wrote:

Personally, I would say no. Since charges are put on the shield. They are not part of the shield, or part of the partition.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/loaba/BlassingdellCadency.png

So the shield on the left is in violation?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

31 December 2006 02:48

unfortunately the one on the left would be in violation of the tincture rule. The one on the right would not be, and it is a very elegant design.

I mean no offense whatsoever. Your work is very nice.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

31 December 2006 09:13

MohamedHossam wrote:

unfortunately the one on the left would be in violation of the tincture rule. The one on the right would not be, and it is a very elegant design.

I mean no offense whatsoever. Your work is very nice.

neither of them violate the tincture rule.  You can use charges to divide a shield, it sometimes gets a little creative on the blazon wording.  I would venture a guess that the one on the left would be something like per chevron of two crossed swords but you could just as easily use "overall" with "throughout" to accomplish something similar without creative interpretation tradition.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

31 December 2006 17:21

Do you know any examples of charges throughout? I would be very interested in finding out about this. Of course, I do not know everything in heraldry, and I wouldn’t pass up a chance to add on, or even correct my previous knowledge!

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

31 December 2006 21:36

http://whitelionsociety.org.uk/WLSArmorial/Slide 100.gif

That is an example of charges used as divisions, in one of the Kings of Arms from the College of Arms.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

31 December 2006 22:43

I would blazon your first shield as per chevron sable and azure two sabres in saltire points to base in nombril point a mullet of eight points all argent.

MohamedHossam wrote:

and...

Do you know any examples of charges throughout?

What ever happened to the most common charges: ordinaries? These are placed on the shield and are not part of the shield, yet are regularly used to separate tinctures on a field.

There is nothing wrong with using a charge to divide a field. Take for example the arms of Barry Wilde:

http://whitelionsociety.org.uk/WLS Armorial Ppt GIF/Slide 120.gif

and Raymond Clark:

http://whitelionsociety.org.uk/WLS Armorial Ppt GIF/Slide 158.gif

Take care,

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

08 January 2007 16:56

Whether its an ordinary, or some other charge—in either case you divide the field "per" whatever ordinary & place the ordinary or charge along the division line.  Note that in the examples shown of a sword (very nice all) the sword is clearly added atop the e.g. palar division line, which continues above & below the sword’s point & pommel—i.e. the field would still be divided if the sword were removed.  Think of the way the arms are blazoned—e.g. Per pale Or and Argent a Pale Sable, or Per pale Or and Argent a sword palewise Sable.  The order of the blazon reflects the way the design is "constructed."