New coat of arms

AVD1

AVD1
Total Posts:  169
Joined  31-08-2006

11 January 2007 17:58

My stepdaugther and her fiance are graduating from school next May. As my graduation gift I am thinking in a CoA for Brian (Registration included of course). His father was adopted and no much of family history and I am saying this with the utmost respect since he is a true gentelman but when I was sitting last night thinking in what elements should go in his arms my first thought went to his family history.

Talking with him I found out that he will prefer to have something truly his and start hisw own heraldic tradition.

He is graduating from Catholic University and with a major in Politics. He is a devouted catholic and very commited with his family. I think that his strongest vitues are perseverance, selfrestrain, altruism and honesty.

So this is my first "Draft"

Please consider this as a design blue print since I will commission with some heraldic artist…

It didn’t go that well since I was using MS PAint and din’t go well

Anyway here it is. Any comment welcome

http://www.aurelio.valarezo.net/Bryan Hull.JPG

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

11 January 2007 19:06

Hi Aurelio,

I must say that personally I don’t care for unicorns as charges.  They look nice as supporters, but on a shield a unicorn just reminds me of a fantasy shield you might see in the Society of Creative Anachronisms (SCA).

But that’s just me.

I would like to try removing the unicorn and repositioning the cross crosslett fitchee Sable to center point, aligned with the other two.  That might prove to be a simpler—and more "anciently authentic" (trademark pending :D )—design.

Regards,

—Guy

AVD1

AVD1
Joined  31-08-2006

11 January 2007 21:03

Like this?

http://www.aurelio.valarezo.net/Bryan Hull 2.GIF

Maybe too Papal????

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

11 January 2007 21:56

Well Being and American and All, and with him wanting to start his own heraldic tradition and such, you may want to take some of the american charges we were talking about over on another thread. I think this might be the perfect time to incoorporate them into the design.

A mustang, Bison (or buffalo as I have always heard them called) come to mind. I notice you’re from Vegas, what about something like a suarro (swarro?) cactus if he’s from the area? Maybe a different symbol of where he grew up (for example If I wanted to show my Coloradoness i’d probably put a columbine on my shield)

BTW I love the flauches… a good design that only needs some minor tweaking IMO

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

11 January 2007 22:08

Here’s a list of N.A animals…

Hummingbird is one that I haven’t heard thrown out there

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

12 January 2007 00:13

AVD wrote:

Like this?

Yes.  It’s nice and simple; I’d never mistake it for something Papal.

Hmmmmm….. the Or portion sorta reminds me of a Chalice.  Makes me want to hear, "Hic est enim calix Sanguinis mei…."

—Guy

AVD1

AVD1
Joined  31-08-2006

12 January 2007 00:31

Guy: Hahahaha. You are way too funny. I was thinking more in "Ludates Domine…"

Colin: He is not Vegean. He is a goo catholic boy from New Jersey smile

- Not a baseball bat since him does not like the game at all

- Vison, tepee and other native american seems little bit out of question since him seems very, how to say thi, caucasian or nordic.

Any other ideas (flora or fauna form New Jersey) Violet? Pines?

I thought about a horse since is N.J.‘s State animal but is too close to me since I am dressage rider so I change it for a Unicorn who is symbolic of some of his virtues.

I will try something with wolves and bald eagle. Let’s see.

Any other idea?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

12 January 2007 01:10

NJ

State Flower: Violet

State Tree: Red Oak (maybe an Oak Tree Gulles?)

State bug: HoneyBee

State Bird: Eastern Goldfinch

Jersey is the "Garden State" maybe you can do something with that.

If not you can always ask him some of what he might want smile

DJensen

DJensen
Total Posts:  29
Joined  16-08-2006

12 January 2007 11:33

Something that suggests his chosen field, perhaps?  If he’s graduated with a degree in Political Science or similar, you could base a central charge on that (a fasces, maybe?  I’m no good at this.) and keep the crosses on either side.

Just an idea, overvalued at two cents.

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

12 January 2007 11:44

I liked the unicorn… and the shield seems a little empty with only the three crosses, it definitly needs something, unicorn or otherwise…

On the whole though, I like this basic design, looks nice!

If the unicorn is no good on the shield, I think one (or half of one) would work nicely in a crest

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

12 January 2007 12:06

how about something like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Horatio86/AVGcopy.jpg

are you certain that the flauches (?) don’t break the rule of tincture?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 January 2007 12:10

My only real problem with the unicorn is that it was too small. I thought it would have been fine to have the unicorn larger and centered, with the crosses on smaller flaunches. That said, I think unicorns are seen a bit too frequently these days for something that was supposed to be a shy and elusive creature. If I were designing these, I think I’d suggest a horse rather than a unicorn.

On the other hand I disagree that the version with three crosses is too empty. I find it quite elegant. Of course, the final art work should have the crosses fill up the space available for the crosses as much as possible.

The shield does have a tincture violation, although to my mind a relatively minor one. Technically flaunches are subordinaries placed "on" the field rather than constituting a division of the field, and therefore Argent flaunches should’t be placed on a field Or. But in this case I don’t think I’d be too bothered by it. Practically speaking the gold and white are really next to each other, as they would be in the case of a chief, so there’s no more visibility problem than there would be with a shield parted per pale or barry of two metals.

Are there such things as "flaunches cousues," or however it would be spelled?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

12 January 2007 12:15

On the other hand (he said, wringing his hands), even technical tincture violations are best avoided.

How about dropping the flaunches and substituting something like "Per pale Or and Argent, semy of cross crosslets fitchy Sable, over all a something or other [pick a color]?"

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

12 January 2007 12:50

Joseph McMillan wrote:

...On the other hand I disagree that the version with three crosses is too empty. I find it quite elegant. ...

Oooooooooooohhhh. :o

What further acceptance do you need than Joe’s compliment?????

Yay!!!!

—Guy

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

12 January 2007 14:14

You could counterchange and use sable flauches and argent (or Or) crosses. I like the gulles tree too.

AVD1

AVD1
Joined  31-08-2006

12 January 2007 15:59

Thanks for your help.

Thank you Everett it’s a nice alternative.

I am posting the Joseph’s recommendations and see what could work.

I just made up something with horses just because it’s the State’s animal. I am too slow and clumsy with the graphic software. Any way here the three alternatives Joseph suggested and I am still working in Colin’s. I have to do some of the “other” work too and feed the children smile

http://www.aurelio.valarezo.net/briam hull 30.JPG

Here the Crosses enlarged

http://www.aurelio.valarezo.net/Brian Hull 32.JPG

Here "Per pale Or and Argent, semy of cross crosslets fitchy Sable, over all a Rampart Horse (something) Gules ungulee and lampasee azur (sorry the Galisism)"

http://www.aurelio.valarezo.net/Brian Hull 33.JPG

Here an alternative "inescutcheon Sabre a rampant Horse Argent Ungulee & lampasee Or"