New Book: The Gore Roll

davidappleton

davidappleton
Total Posts:  194
Joined  30-04-2004

03 August 2006 13:35

I thought I’d make the announcement here first.

After several years of research and presentations on the topic, my new book on "The Gore Roll: An Early American Roll of Arms" is finally done!  It is, I am certain, the most complete and accurate history and review of this unique 18th Century American roll of arms ever made.  It contains the full review of a copy of the roll published in 1865 by William H. Whitmore and the full review of the rediscovered original published by Dr. Harold Bowditch in the late 1930s, as well as additional research by this author on each of the coats found in the Gore roll.  Further, it is the first book publication to include illustrations (black and white line drawings) of the arms in the roll, as well as drawings and photographs of the arms from other - many contemporary with the roll - sources.  (All prior book publications of the roll contained at most but a single drawing of one of the coats in the roll.)

The book also includes an armorial and an ordinary of the arms found in the Gore roll.

Additional information about this book can be found at www.appletonstudios.com/herald7.htm

Questions?  Comments?  Please feel free to e-mail me at:  davidappleton at earthlink dot net

David

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

03 August 2006 13:57

David,

Can you post a few select pages for illustrative purposes?  The thumbnail is too small and does not expand.  I’m thinking about buying a copy, but would like to see what I’d be getting.

Thanks,

Guy

davidappleton

davidappleton
Joined  30-04-2004

03 August 2006 14:28

Guy Power wrote:

David,

Can you post a few select pages for illustrative purposes?  The thumbnail is too small and does not expand.  I’m thinking about buying a copy, but would like to see what I’d be getting.

Thanks,

Guy

I’ll .pdf a few pages when I get home from work this evening, and post a link in this thread.

David

David Boven

David Boven
Total Posts:  1063
Joined  29-04-2004

03 August 2006 20:45

Congratulations on the publication, David. If I ever start getting a paycheck again, I may be able to convince the powers that be that this would be a good addition to our library.

davidappleton

davidappleton
Joined  30-04-2004

03 August 2006 21:03

Guy Power wrote:

David,

Thanks,

Guy

Okay, home again, home again.  I’ve picked a few sample pages from the book (first page of the Index, first page of the Introduction, one two-page entry on one of the coats of arms, and the first pages of the armorial and the ordinary) and dropped them into a .pdf file, which has been uploaded to:

www.appletonstudios.com/GoreRollSample.pdf

(If you type the URL, it _is_ case-sensitive, so the G, R, and S need to be in capital letters.)

I will probably make a link to that .pdf on the website page in the next couple of days.

If you have any other questions, comments, or requests, please let me know.

David

davidappleton

davidappleton
Joined  30-04-2004

03 August 2006 21:09

David Boven wrote:

Congratulations on the publication, David. If I ever start getting a paycheck again, I may be able to convince the powers that be that this would be a good addition to our library.

Oh, I hope you do!  (Both the paycheck and the convincing!)  I think the Gore roll is a wonderful piece of early American heraldry, and one which is too little known, even among American heraldists.  And so much of the information about it which is comparatively easy and/or inexpensive to find is full of errors, and the better scoop on it from the 1930s is difficult to find and even more expensive when you do.  (Dr. Bowditch’s review of the rediscovered roll was published in the Journal of the Rhode Island Historical Society 1936-1938), and republished in "Rhode Island Genealogies from Rhode Island Periodicals", at $85 for the two-volume set.  And, as I noted in my initial announcement, none of these publications has illustrations of the arms.  (There’s only one drawing of a coat from the Gore roll in Dr. Bowditch’s review.)

David

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

03 August 2006 22:14

davidappleton wrote:

If you have any other questions, comments, or requests, please let me know.

That’s the best $50 purchase I’ve made in a while!  The pdf samples secured the deal.

Thanks,

—Guy

P.S. Mike McCartney: "NO!  You cannot read it when I get it!!"

Buy your own.  :D

davidappleton

davidappleton
Joined  30-04-2004

13 August 2006 17:14

Never heard of the Gore roll? Think you already know pretty much what there is to know about the Gore roll?  Want to know more about it before even _thinking_ about buying the book? A paper presented on the Gore roll by the author of this book at the International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Bruges, Belgium in 2004 may be found at:

www.appletonstudios.com/Congress2004DBA.pdf

Guy Power

Guy Power
Joined  05-01-2006

13 August 2006 23:47

davidappleton wrote:

...A paper presented on the Gore roll by the author of this book at the International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Bruges, Belgium in 2004 may be found at:

www.appletonstudios.com/Congress2004DBA.pdf

David, thanks for providing a copy of your paper; it makes me want to purchase a copy of the Gore Roll.  WAIT!  I already purchased a copy.

I received your invoice and anticipate arrival of said tome this next week.

Regards,

—Guy

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

17 October 2006 12:46

I want to thank David who submitted the Gore Roll, with formatted and abbreviated entries, to the United States Heraldic Registry.  I omitted only a few entries which did not have first names.  Here is the link:

http://usheraldicregistry.com/pmwiki.php?n=Category.Gore

For a complete version of the Roll, with new drawings and commentary, see his webpage which is mentioned below:

davidappleton wrote:

After several years of research and presentations on the topic, my new book on "The Gore Roll: An Early American Roll of Arms" is finally done!  It is, I am certain, the most complete and accurate history and review of this unique 18th Century American roll of arms ever made.  It contains the full review of a copy of the roll published in 1865 by William H. Whitmore and the full review of the rediscovered original published by Dr. Harold Bowditch in the late 1930s, as well as additional research by this author on each of the coats found in the Gore roll.  Further, it is the first book publication to include illustrations (black and white line drawings) of the arms in the roll, as well as drawings and photographs of the arms from other - many contemporary with the roll - sources.  (All prior book publications of the roll contained at most but a single drawing of one of the coats in the roll.)

The book also includes an armorial and an ordinary of the arms found in the Gore roll.

Additional information about this book can be found at www.appletonstudios.com/herald7.htm

Questions?  Comments?  Please feel free to e-mail me at:  davidappleton at earthlink dot net

David