Signet Rings

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

09 February 2007 21:53

Yeah, would you believe that I actually emailed Dexter Seal rings? However, they informed me that a ring the style that I want (silver, since in Islam, only women may wear gold, as well as silk), and was informed that the price would be $498 or something to that effect, I stil have the email. But I found this other site, that makes them cheaper. 69.95 for the ring itself and then between 100 to 200 for the engraving (which does make impressions in wax). As to an embosser, I emailed the company Father Guy told us about, and they told me it would cost starting $90, which is reasonable. So, I will see what I will do (though if it was up to me, I’d get my arms painted on porcelain dinnerware, etched on glassware, and have my whole library (between 250 to 350 books, I can’t tell!) all bound in leather and embossed with my arms in gold, and of course, this would require some nice engraved bookplates!)

But one thing at a time, and I think that a painting of the arms is a good start. Heraldry is a very nice hobby, art and science!

Regards,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

09 February 2007 22:08

MohamedHossam wrote:

they informed me that a ring the style that I want (silver, since in Islam, only women may wear gold, as well as silk),

Regards,

Is this a provision in the Qur’an or is it from the Hadith? Is white gold permitted to be worn by men?

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

09 February 2007 22:21

It is in both the Quran and the Hadith. As to white gold, if it includes Gold (i.e the element with symbol Au) then no. But if it is purely platinum, i.e the metal platinum alone, or with silver, or with any metal but gold, then OK. But is it common to make jewlery out of just platinum?

I have a ring that is platinum, but I am not sure whether or not it has gold in it, so I don’t wear it, just to be sure. I do however wear a silver ring (btw, men are supposed to wear light silver, i.e not like the so called "bling" of hip-hop stars), that my father gave me, set with a black onyx stone. Which is very strange, since almost all the men in my family wear similar rings, by coincidence…

Hope that answers your question!

Regards,

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

09 February 2007 22:32

I will admit that I paid more for my ring than what they quoted you, but I can assure you that it is well worth the cost and more.  I’m thinking, somewhere down the line, to get my desk seal from them.

My ring was also my birthday present/christmas present/anniversarry present from my wife.  She pretty much covered her expenses for the year all in one shot!  Smart lady, that’s why I married her!;)

I’ll try to take a picture of the ring, but Lord knows how it will come out.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

09 February 2007 22:46

Better than nothing! Show us!

Anxiously waiting,

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

10 February 2007 07:46

I tried, but all I get is a shiny spot.  I can’t zoom in enough to see the detail either.  Never, ever buy an HP digital camera.

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Total Posts:  47
Joined  26-08-2006

10 February 2007 07:58

MohamedHossam wrote:

But I found this other site, that makes them cheaper. 69.95 for the ring itself and then between 100 to 200 for the engraving (which does make impressions in wax).

Mohamed,

Do you have a link to this company’s web site or a name.  I am all for having another choice.

Thanks!

Rob

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

10 February 2007 13:28

To Rob:

Here is one of them http://www.signetring.com/Signet_Rings/signet_rings.htm

And here is one more, but I can’t locate it at the moment. When I find it, I will post it, hopefully.

Hassan: I wasn’t trying to dictate to you what to do or not to do. I really hope you don’t loose respect for me, or view me as some sort of extremist. I really enjoy talk to you about heraldry and history, and I don’t want our personal beliefs to affect that. If you still what to chat, I’m online now. If you don’t, I understand.

Regards,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

10 February 2007 15:11

MohamedHossam wrote:

Here is one of them http://www.signetring.com/Signet_Rings/signet_rings.htm

I have a silver seal ring engraved with my badge that was made by Mr. Lemke. I am very pleased with the quality and workmanship of the ring, it makes a clean and deep impression in wax. However, one should be warned that Mr. Lemke is not good on his estimates of the time that it will take to finish your order so expect your ring to arrive much later than you were told. Keep in mind that you are paying much less than Dexter or one of the other British engravers so just bear with him and you will have a good quality seal ring, eventually.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Joined  13-10-2006

10 February 2007 15:16

Depending on where you’re located, you could even check with some local jewelery smiths to see if they can do that type of work.  Just be certain that you’re not going to get something acid etched, as that will wear off after some time.  I’ve been debating myself about a desk seal.  While I think they’re attractive, I don’t know what exactly I’d apply my seal to!

On a side note, I would doubt highly that a gentleman such as Hassan would stop talking with you because of your own personal religious convictions.  I re-read his post and it didn’t seem directed at you as an individual, more like a broader statement.

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Joined  26-08-2006

10 February 2007 16:29

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information on the ring.

Knowing of Mr. Lemke’s work and pricing provides me with the option of ordering much sooner than I would consider through Dexter.

If you don’t mind I do have a couple of additional questions to which I would like some feedback:

—It seems having just the crest and shield (leaving out the mantling and helm) permits the engraving of a larger more detailed image.  Am I correct that using only the crest and shield is acceptable practice?

—Am I correct in expecting the engraver to provide their ‘rendition’ albeit similar to the sample artwork provided?  In other words he will use the sample provided as a guide but his engraving will not match exactly.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,

Rob

(My apology for getting off topic on this thread…moderator, please feel free to move if appropriate.)

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

10 February 2007 16:30

Andrew J Vidal wrote:

Depending on where you’re located, you could even check with some local jewelery smiths to see if they can do that type of work.  Just be certain that you’re not going to get something acid etched, as that will wear off after some time.  I’ve been debating myself about a desk seal.  While I think they’re attractive, I don’t know what exactly I’d apply my seal to!

Hand engravers who cut seals are very few and far between in the US. Most are Europeans or second generation Americans who learned their craft from their fathers. It might be easier to find a gun engraver willing to cut a seal than a jeweler who has this skill. I have been told that the best seal or die engravers in the US are Russian immigrants, the Soviets having had the foresight to establish the University of Rare Professions to preserve such obscure skills. Some years ago, I attended a week long course in hand engraving taught by an older gentleman who was the engraver at Tiffany’s Palm Beach store. Most other instruction given today is done with power assisted gravers and not the tools of the 19th century.

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Joined  26-08-2006

10 February 2007 16:51

David Pritchard wrote:

Hand engravers who cut seals are very few and far between in the US. Most are Europeans or second generation Americans who learned their craft from their fathers.

I do not intend this next comment to sound as harsh and selfish as I imagine it will….I do view hand engraving as a fading (if not dying) art.  I imagine at best prices will increase as the craftsmen disappear (yes, I mean die).

Perhaps I am wrong and heraldry and therefore demand will only become stronger.

Best Regards,

Rob

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

10 February 2007 17:05

Rob McLaughlin wrote:

If you don’t mind I do have a couple of additional questions to which I would like some feedback:

—It seems having just the crest and shield (leaving out the mantling and helm) permits the engraving of a larger more detailed image.  Am I correct that using only the crest and shield is acceptable practice?

Yes to both questions.

Rob McLaughlin wrote:

—Am I correct in expecting the engraver to provide their ‘rendition’ albeit similar to the sample artwork provided?  In other words he will use the sample provided as a guide but his engraving will not match exactly.

The engraver, cuts a reverse image. Usually the engraver does not get ‘artistic’ while working from a mirror or a light image scrawled on the ring. As you live near Cincinnati, I should recommend that you check with Tony Gilson, http://www.gilsonsonline.com/engraving.php?osCsid=. I originally directed you to the Pewter Palce, a shop that he owned in Kenwood some years ago but I am not sure if he still owns it.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Joined  03-12-2006

10 February 2007 17:12

Rob, keep us posed on the progress if you choose to have your ring done by that particular craftsman. If everything goes well for you, I might try them as well.

I was informed that I can also have my ring done in Egypt, but that engraving would probably be just my arms engraved on a ring, i.e, just the design, not making a wax impression. But now that I come to think of it, I actually doubt I would need a wax seal anyways. An embosser would be much more of a priority, i.e, in regards to writing paper. A rubber stamp of my arms would also work well.

Regards,

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Joined  26-08-2006

10 February 2007 17:27

Mohamed,

I will post updates regardless of the path I choose…thanks for asking.

David,

Thank you very much for the suggestion.  There is something appealing about working with a local artist.

I found a second article on Google:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/AB/20070204/BIZ01/702040333/

I will contact him on the 15th…I would appreciate anyone else waiting until the 19th :p

Best Regards,

Rob