Designing my own Coat of Arms

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

08 April 2007 22:57

Charles Mosteller;43400 wrote:

I don’t know what the specific name is of the exact shield type that I prefer. It is similar to this shield design, except the point at center top of the shield should be slightly higher than the points on either end at the top.

http://usera.imagecave.com/CharlesMosteller/Heraldry/PatrioticShield1.gif

This shield became quite popular in 18th century England. Because this was the popular shield shape at the time of American independence many of the arms devised during the formative years of the republic utilised and continue to use this shape. I have a vague memory of this shield being called the spade shield. In Russian heraldry this shape is called the English shield.

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Total Posts:  50
Joined  10-02-2007

09 April 2007 13:44

I just like the design of the shield similar to that one that I posted. Does anyone have a selection of blank shields that I can simply pick from? I figure that I can pick the shield type that I like best, and then work my way forward through each design component or element, one at a time.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

09 April 2007 14:38

This is really putting the cart before the horse.  A coat of arms can be emblazoned on any shape of shield.  It’s what goes on the shield that should be decided first.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

09 April 2007 15:11

Joseph McMillan;43457 wrote:

This is really putting the cart before the horse.  A coat of arms can be emblazoned on any shape of shield.  It’s what goes on the shield that should be decided first.

I was thinking the same thing.

On a different note, I haven’t been a big fan of the Gyronny shields. just a presonal preference I guess…

If you want something symbolic of a sun, but not an actual sun, why not just an Or saltire and cross together.

Something like: Azure, a cross and saltire Or (or Argent), overall a mullet of 4 Gulles

Or you could go the other way…

Or, a cross and saltire Azure, overall a Sun of 16 points Or charged with an eye. 

(what i mean by 16 points is that every other sun ray is a long one. The ones that are along the Cross and Saltire being the long ones. Not sure exactly how to blazon that.) If i have time tonight i’ll make a quick image of my idea

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

09 April 2007 15:28

Joseph McMillan;43457 wrote:

Very well. That will be fine by me.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

09 April 2007 20:03

This is very rough, as i just threw it together in a few minutes, but this was my idea…

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1796/moellesfq5.png

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

09 April 2007 21:03

I dislike the single eye very much it strikes me as Masonic, Satanic or something else with undesirable connotations. The Sun in it Glory is much better.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

09 April 2007 22:02

It’s nice without the eye, but I think that it is too reminiscent of the Union Jack. Looks to me like the logo of a British football or rugby team of some sort. It’d look great on a track jacket, though. :mrgreen:

Though after my Wonder-Woman/American Ninja fiascos I am unworthy of the privelige of constructively criticizing others! :D

I really like the idea, however, of an Or field with Azure charges. I think we should work on this idea a bit more…

Cheers,

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

09 April 2007 22:06

I’m not too crazy about the eye either.  Any reason why you’re thinking a cross and a saltire?  I only mention it because it reminds me of the English flag.

Charles - what else do you want represented in your arms?  I know you want something to represent your son, but what of yourself and your wife?  Maybe a division of the field per chevron or on a chevron to split the three?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

09 April 2007 22:23

MohamedHossam;43471 wrote:

Though after my Wonder-Woman/American Ninja fiascoes I am unworthy of the privilege of constructively criticizing others!

I do not think that many of the other proposals are superior to your comic book arms designs. The design for my own arms including crest and mottoes took about seven years to finalise, so I do not view the designing of arms to be a quick process. Developing a sense for good heraldry is not a quick trait to acquire, there are dozens of books to study and thousands of arms to evaluate before one develops such a sense of good form, shape and colour. May I suggest that you read the book Form und Farbe by Vassily Vasilivich Kandinsky which is a book that I read in a graduate level art history course over twenty years ago.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

10 April 2007 01:17

Well the reason for the Blue cross and saltire was to give enough blue on the shield to actually see the sun. Ideally 8 of the tips of the sun would have lined up perfectly wwith the yellow field, but i was doing this much too quickly to make that work properly.. but I can see why some would see the union jack. I do agree though that I didn’t liek the one eye, i just put it in because I thoughtcharles liked it… What about something like this:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9343/moellessd6.png

My only concern is that the sun will be too small to see in a smaller setting

Charles Mosteller

Charles Mosteller
Joined  10-02-2007

10 April 2007 02:58

Linusboarder;43469 wrote:

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/1796/moellesfq5.png

Sorry, but I just don’t like this design, at all.

David Pritchard;43470 wrote:

I dislike the single eye very much it strikes me as Masonic, Satanic or something else with undesirable connotations. The Sun in it Glory is much better.

Well, I am no Mason, nor am I a Satan worshipper. I am free to attach other symbolism to a one-eyed sun, aren’t I?I still like the one eyed sun. I haven’t really seen a lot of different sun charges, though, so I am stating preference based upon what I have encountered, thus far.

Andrew J Vidal;43472 wrote:

Charles - what else do you want represented in your arms?  I know you want something to represent your son, but what of yourself and your wife?  Maybe a division of the field per chevron or on a chevron to split the three?

Honestly, Andrew, I’m not really sure. My son and my wife are my primary concerns. If I don’t incorporate something for them, then there is no other reason strong enough to motivate me to bother with designing a coat of arms, at all.

I’ve considered something to acknowledge my father and my mother. I have three sisters, but they don’t rate high on the priority list for incorporating. I am willing to listen to suggestions, though.

Linusboarder;43484 wrote:

What about something like this:

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/9343/moellessd6.png

My only concern is that the sun will be too small to see in a smaller setting

I like that one much better than your previous suggestion, Linusboarder, but the sun is too small, and I don’t think that I care much for the edgework on the blue "X," whatever it might be called. It’s not an ugly design, mind you. It just doesn’t click with me.

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

10 April 2007 07:59

How about you list some qualities of your wife and son.  That way, we could throw some ideas at you and each other as to what charges could represent some of those qualities.

For example, is your son a rough and tumble tot, or is he more the gentle quiet type?  Maybe something your son really enjoys doing with you or that he has a particular interest in.  Maybe he’s quick and nimble or patient and thoughtful?  Information like that can open up a whole world of charges.  Give some examples of your wife as well.  What is it about her that drew you to her (beyond the obvious:rolleyes: ), maybe something in her personality that really struck you.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

10 April 2007 08:31

Charles Mosteller;43455 wrote:

I just like the design of the shield similar to that one that I posted. Does anyone have a selection of blank shields that I can simply pick from? I figure that I can pick the shield type that I like best, and then work my way forward through each design component or element, one at a time.

As Joe pointed out, the design’s the thing. Really, Charles, you don’t want to become too terribly stuck on shield shape, it will limit your appreciation of various emblazonments of your arms in the future. I know this from experience: I’m a ‘heater shield’ man, myself, and if I hadn’t backed off of that particular design element, I would never have had Loren Chapulin’s wonderful design, which you can see in the armorial.

As for the ‘one-eyed’ sun: you certainly may ascribe whatever symbolism you deem appropriate to that charge. And I encourage you to do just that. But then again, I am a Mason and apparently, therefore, of ‘undesirable connotation’. wink

Making a pleasing, well-balanced and easily identifiable design becomes much more difficult when you feel it necessary to add charges to identify several individuals. It’s certainly not impossible, but it is more difficult. You may wish to rethink that: your wife could certainly become armigerous herself and then you could bear impaled martial arms, if you chose, and your children could quarter them.

But, assuming, as you’ve stated, that you want a single achievement that reflects your wife and children as well as yourself ... might I suggest that you take the ideas presented here that you like and consult an heraldic artist? Mike Swanson, Loren Chapulin, Guy Sylvester, Louis Rotea and Brian Jeffs, all members of our society, spring immediately to mind, and there are several other quite competent artists hereabouts who might be willing to take on your work.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

10 April 2007 11:40

Charles,

The blank shields like the one you posted are in the AG clipart folder named "Design".  Isn’t that where you got that one from?  I’ve seen it there.