Designing my own Coat of Arms

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

03 April 2007 21:29

Charles,

You mentioned the Titans, the sun, Atlas, and the summer solstice regarding your son.

Hyperion, a Titan, was the father of Helios, the Sun God.  The bull, rooster, and white horse (winged maybe) are associated with Helios.  St. John’s Eve (John the Baptist) is a summer solstice (Midsummer) celebration.  The Tropic of Cancer (the Crab) is connected to the summer solstice.  You might also pull something from a Midsummer Night’s Dream.

You mentioned the colors red, white, and blue regarding yourself.  What about your wife?  You said you wanted to reference her in some way, but I don’t recall seeing any specifics.

I put something together on the link below.  It resembles a few flags, but it has the themes you mentioned—the colors and the sun.  The counterchanged lion and lion heads are just place holders for more meaningful charges to you.

[IMG]http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/9598/charlesfg4.th.jpg

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

04 April 2007 10:51

I like that a lot trent, even if it is remeniciant of the Czech Republic’s flag

DJensen

DJensen
Total Posts:  29
Joined  16-08-2006

04 April 2007 12:18

With the sun in chief, I had it as a nod to the Phillipines at first glance.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

04 April 2007 12:33

Yeah, it does look a lot like the Phillippine flag. I think the one in the corner, with the lions’ heads could pass for the regimental insignia of a Phillippine military unit.

How about a pile with a bezant behind it in such a way as to give the effect of the sun rising above a hill?

Another idea would be to use gyronny, with a Bezant in the center. Wait, it’s called gyronny in heraldry too, right? I am most familiar with that term in regards to vexillology…

Regards,

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

04 April 2007 18:58

Thanks guys.

I was hoping that the orientation would be enough of a distinction between the arms and the flags of those countries.  But one just can’t help but think of them.

If Charles has a particular division that he is partial to, that would help.  I was just trying out something basic.  I prefer the one with the lion heads.

Mohammed,

Would you post your pile idea?  I can’t envision it.  Your last idea, and versions of it, were done by Phil in previous posts on this thread.  See the comments on that.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

04 April 2007 20:36

OK, I see why you can have a hard time envisioning it. I said the wrong thing! I just looked it up and pile is in fact from Chief to Base, I guess what I meant would thus be an inverted pile?

Here is a pic of my idea:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c93/mohamedhossam/pile.jpg

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

04 April 2007 21:32

Could it not also be blazoned per chevron?

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

04 April 2007 21:48

Does putting the sun in the base make much of a difference?  Looking at it from left to right and top to bottom you get the red, white, and blue color scheme. This was my first version actually.

[IMG]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/541/charles2yd6.th.jpg

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

04 April 2007 21:54

Phil is currently working on rendering a blazon that I devised for Charles which thankfully looks nothing like any of the designs yet proposed.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

04 April 2007 22:04

WB,

Of the three colors, which two would you suggest for the per chevron division, and what charges would you suggest for the field?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

04 April 2007 23:20

Trent I like the one per chevron even more than the other one you posted. It doesn not remind me, at all, of the czech flag, yet still looks excellent.

I’m also curious to see what david proposed.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

05 April 2007 00:27

Trent, I was simply responding to Mohamed’s question about the blazon.

Trent

Trent
Joined  01-11-2006

05 April 2007 00:44

Thanks Colin,

The first two I put up are per pall, and the last one which you like best is per pall reversed.  I didn’t put up a per chevron version because that only gives you two fields instead of three to work with.  And he wanted red, white, and blue.

I’m really learning a lot here by trying out designs and getting feeback on them and interacting with others who do the same (Phil, Mohammed, WB, Joe, Stephen, etc.).  I’m learning a lot and it’s fun.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

05 April 2007 01:14

Trent;43135 wrote:

Thanks Colin,

The first two I put up are per pall, and the last one which you like best is per pall reversed.  I didn’t put up a per chevron version because that only gives you two fields instead of three to work with.  And he wanted red, white, and blue.

Of course, i knew that… temporary brain fart.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

05 April 2007 17:42

OK. Sorry I took so long, but I didn’t have much access to the computer yesterday. Here’s my rendition of what David suggested:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/MostellerAchievement.jpg

Arms: Azure, the sun in its splendor Or, within an orle of six bezants.

Crest: On a wreath Or and Azure, a demi-figure of the Titan Hyperion Proper.

David’s rationale is as follows:

The sun is in it’s most ancient form. The six bezants represent the six planets (including Earth) that were known in Roman times. All of the charges could be seen as a pun on the name Mosteller, through the Latin word stella meaning star.

Hyperion was the Greek Titan who created the heavens and his son, Helios, was the sun god.

I like it! The real question is, does Charles like it?

Take care,