Campus Apartments

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

21 June 2006 20:32

My school’s mascot is the Hghlanders and se we have taken it upon ourselves to give all our buildings Scottish names that seem rather ridiculous in Southern California.  That aside, I snapped this picture of the logo of one of the campus apartmen complexes called "Bannockburn".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/Horatio86/04-06-06_1528.jpg

It isn’t a horrible design but, unfortunatly, in nearly all the other uses of the logo they stylize the mantling to the detriment of the shield… kudos for the attempt I guess.

Does this design have any connection to the real Bannockburn?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

21 June 2006 20:43

It doesn’t look like a shield and mantling to me…I think it’s supposed to be a Scottish thistle.

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

21 June 2006 20:51

Joseph McMillan wrote:

It doesn’t look like a shield and mantling to me…I think it’s supposed to be a Scottish thistle.

Yes, it’s a thistle—but this rendition is easily confused for a shield.

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

21 June 2006 23:51

I always liked this wee story of the thistle:

The prickly purple thistle was adopted as the Emblem of Scotland during the rein of Alexander III (1249 -1286). Legend has it that an Army of King Haakon of Norway, intent on conquering the Scots landed at the Coast of Largs at night to surprise the sleeping Scottish Clansmen.

In order to move more stealthily under the cover of darkness the Norsemen removed their footwear. As they drew near to the Scots it wasn’t the only thing hiding under the cover of darkness. For one of Haakon’s men unfortunately stood on one of these spiny little defenders and shrieked out in pain, alerting the Clansmen of the advancing Norsemen. Needless to say the Scots who won the day.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

22 June 2006 00:24

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Hmm… I guess that makes more sense… I was thinking something like ___fretty ___ and on a chief ___ paly ___  Seeing as how the tincutures aren’t visible on the sign….

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

22 June 2006 00:25

J Duncan of Sketraw wrote:

...For one of Haakon’s men unfortunately stood on one of these spiny little defenders and shrieked out in pain.

Ergo Scotland’s Latin motto: Nemo me impune lacessit (No one touches me with impunity).

Cheers!

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

22 June 2006 00:35

That is a great story John. Is it legend, or fact, or a little of both? Either way it is a great story.

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

22 June 2006 00:44

Donnchadh wrote:

That is a great story John. Is it legend, or fact, or a little of both? Either way it is a great story.

It is a little of both I think but it is supposed to be the excepted story.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

22 June 2006 00:49

I can see it happening. We get thistles here in Colorado, though I don’t know if they are the same as the ones that grow in Scotland. However, they grow wild in our high plains fields and I’ve been out in the fields doing photography and even hunting and many a time snagged myself on them - man they hurt. So, I can see how stepping on one barefooted would make one yelp out loud. Ouch.

Jeremy K. Hammond

Jeremy K. Hammond
Total Posts:  1914
Joined  22-02-2016

22 June 2006 18:37

I guess it could be possible…

http://www.heraldrysociety.us/pictures/members_posts/Thistle.png

Does anyone know of any such adaptation in use?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

22 June 2006 20:51

Quote:

Does anyone know of any such adaptation in use?

I don’t chief.

GJKS

GJKS
Total Posts:  375
Joined  07-08-2004

23 June 2006 00:46

ESmith wrote:

Hmm… I guess that makes more sense… I was thinking something like ___fretty ___ and on a chief ___ paly ___  Seeing as how the tincutures aren’t visible on the sign….

If it were a shield and you were indeed blazoning it, rather than ‘fretty’ I would term it either ‘Lattice’, ‘Trellise’ or ‘Treille’.  Fretty shows a distinct interlacing design, whereas this one looks more like (if it were a shield) to be straight overlays of bendy and bendy-sinister.

I don’t think that the preposition ‘on’ should be there as there is nothing ‘on’ the Chief and I wouldn’t use ‘paly’ as there aren’t an even number of partitions - I offer that it should possibly be ‘... a Chief X ‘number’ pallets Y’.

ESmith

ESmith
Joined  15-11-2005

23 June 2006 02:59

GJKS wrote:

If it were a shield and you were indeed blazoning it, rather than ‘fretty’ I would term it either ‘Lattice’, ‘Trellise’ or ‘Treille’.  Fretty shows a distinct interlacing design, whereas this one looks more like (if it were a shield) to be straight overlays of bendy and bendy-sinister.

The sign is carved into several planks of wood so it is fairly difficult to discern that degree of detail…  You’re right though, it seems less like a shield now that folks have pointed out the thistle image…