MARA University of Technology

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

28 February 2007 11:52

http://www4.uitm.edu.my/uitm/templates/uitm_truematchb8/images/logouitm122.jpg

The arms of this Malaysian University, at which I’ve had some artwork exhibited over the years, contain charges that are completely mysterious to me.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

28 February 2007 13:17

*edited by member*

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

28 February 2007 14:06

Donnchadh wrote:

I think that is a stylized stack of books in pale and two different weapons in saltire in base. I could be wrong though.

The weapons that appear to be some kind of swords seem to obscure some other Or item in sinister base.  There is also a kind of saltorel issuant from base and couped in chief, or perhaps a bendlet and scarp overlying this.

The field I would blazon as "Party per fess enhanced enarched azure and purpure" both to get around a colour-on-colour violation (though I know it can be argued that it is not for the chief) and also because I think the azure portion is slightly deeper than a chief would be.

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

28 February 2007 15:03

Greetings all,

Donnchadh, I think the charge in chief is a stylised pile of paper rather than a pile of books (although either is a reasonable guess).

I have no idea what the upper couped saltire in base is but the lower ornate charges are Malay kris - a form of dagger.

However, the per pale lozenge shape between the two probably has no significance or purpose other than being decorative.

Regards,

Iain Boyd