Joined  13-07-2005

14 March 2007 22:15

*edited by member*

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

14 March 2007 22:35

Stephen,the only sword I’m really interested in is Spiritus Gladius.  Should have reckoned on an appearance from Clint (should have also known it would be Guy who produced him!).  wink

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

14 March 2007 22:57

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

Stephen,the only sword I’m really interested in is Spiritus Gladius.

The Ghost Sword??  What’s that, Preacher?

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

...(should have also known it would be Guy who produced him!).  ;D

—Guy

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

14 March 2007 23:22

Ephesians 6:10-17 - "Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His power.  Put on the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.  For our struggle is not against enemies of blood and flesh, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic power of this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places.  Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.  Stand therefore, and fasten the belt of truth around your waist, and put on the breastplate of righteousness.  As shoes for your feet put on whatever will make you ready to proclaim the gospel of peace.  With all of these, take the shield of faith, with which you will be able to quench all the flaming arrows of the evil one.  Take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit (Spiritus gladius), which is the Word of God."

It is this passage from the apostle Paul’s letter to the Church at Ephesus which led to the shield attributed to him:  a sword bisecting a Bible with the words Spiritus Gladius.  (Sorry, it’s late and I don’t even want to try to blazon that.)  "Sword of the Spirit" is also the name I chose for a radio program I do Sunday mornings at the local radio station.

Here endeth the lesson!  :D

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

14 March 2007 23:30

And now, a word from our sponsor:  Could we, just for the novelty of it, get back to the original premise behind this thread!  :-D (Don’t make me start preaching again…)

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

15 March 2007 00:16

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

...Give me a helmet, give me Winston Churchill’s derby, give me Judy Garland’s hat from "Easter Parade," anything!  C’mon, make my day! :D

—Guy

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

15 March 2007 00:56

Oh, yeah, we’re making some real progress here.  8)

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

15 March 2007 01:21

Guy Power wrote:

Yowch!  My reputation preceedeth me!

;D

—Guy

You should read Pilgrim’s Progress

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

15 March 2007 09:01

Guy Power wrote:

—Guy

Think "lightsaber" with an ancient or medievel hilt.  Genesis 3:24, Hebrews 4:12, Ephesians 6:17.

But back to heraldry—Ephesians 6:16.

I know that FW57 went into greater biblical detail, but I just had to use the Star Wars analogy!  wink

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

17 March 2007 00:23

How do you think this would work as a crest?  Luther’s Seal centered on a Gammagion Cross with a stole draped over the arms of the cross surrounded with an open palm wreath?  (If you ask me to blazon that, I will have a stroke, I swear.)  Also, could someone please show me the shield in post #44 with three Canterburry Crosses in place of the Templar Crosses?  ("I’m ready for my refrigerator test, Mr. DeMille!")  Thank you in advance.

Pr. William

James Dempster

James Dempster
Total Posts:  602
Joined  20-05-2004

17 March 2007 06:17

I’m coming to this very late and there seems to have been a lot of post on this thread in the last few days which I have hardly digested but I thought that this may be of interest. It’ll probably be a spanner in the works smile

I was looking for something else in Nisbet’s "System of Heraldry" and found the following

Quote:

The surname of HENRY, in some old books, Azure a fesse between three pelicans Argent vulned Proper

There is only one person of the surname Henry in the Lyon Register (up to 1973 when the published version ends) a US citizen called Albert William Skene Henry who was granted arms in 1966. His arms are a complex composed coat with elements from Skene, and possibly also Hay and a couple of pelicans (Proper sitting in nests Vert) .

Assuming that you are still thinking about a theme that involves Azure a fess of some sort between charges the arms are unconsciously close to those of Scottish Henrys anyway and obviously the Pelican is an appropriate symbol of Christian piety so you may want to consider it as a charge or a crest.

James

WBHenry

WBHenry
Joined  12-02-2007

17 March 2007 15:01

Ya gotta hate when than happens!  (Strange coincidences, that is.)

I’d be interested in seeing a version of Henry arms.  And I am to understand that they are Azure with a fess?  Perhaps heraldry has been around long enough now that it is genetic?  (There’s a strange thought.)

Thanks for the information.  (And if anyone thinks they have a copy of the arms James mentioned, I’d surely love to see them!)

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

17 March 2007 16:37

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

Also, could someone please show me the shield in post #44 with three Canterburry Crosses in place of the Templar Crosses?

Like this?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/Henry11.jpg

Also, are you sure you want a Gammagion Cross in your crest?  I think most people would associate this with the fylfot or swastika and Naziism.

Take care,

ESmith

ESmith
Total Posts:  550
Joined  15-11-2005

17 March 2007 18:00

PBlanton wrote:

Also, are you sure you want a Gammagion Cross in your crest?  I think most people would associate this with the fylfot or swastika and Naziism.

I agree, I would suggest steering clear of this particular symbol… I know that there is a perfectly innocent historical meaning for it, but there is also a perfectly clear not-so-innocent historical meaning for it too… :vader:

As far as the shield that Mr Blanton has posted, I think that is my favorite so far…:leprachaun: