yet another incorrect blazon from TIOH

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

17 March 2007 15:03

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Graphics/314SupportBnCOA.jpg

The blazon runs, "Per fess Gules and Buff, on two chevrons conjoined Argent, between in chief a firebomb Sable fimbriated of the third, enflamed Proper, bearing a fleur-de-lis Or and in base two swords in saltire, points up, hand guards of the fourth, blades of the third, a chevronel wavy Azure," but clearly there are two chevronels wavy conjoined Azure on the two chevrons conjoined Argent.  I suppose that they are conjoined in fess might be left out as another form of conjoining might be awkward, though perhaps it might be better if specified.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

17 March 2007 15:08

Newly initiated here.  TIOH?  (Perhaps we need a glossary on site with all these intials…)

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

17 March 2007 16:14

FatherWilliam57 wrote:

Newly initiated here.  TIOH?  (Perhaps we need a glossary on site with all these intials…)

The Institute of Heraldry (does U.S. Army heraldry and some other U.S. Armed Forces and government heraldry as well…).

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

17 March 2007 16:50

Daniel C. Boyer wrote:

The Institute of Heraldry

Here’s the website:

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/

Take care,

Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd
Total Posts:  309
Joined  15-10-2005

17 March 2007 17:54

Greetings all,

In my opinion, the division ‘per fesse’ is also incorrect.

I believe the blazon should begin - "Per fesse dancetty of two points ....." - so that the division is the same as the fesse overall.

If drawn according to the blazon and, depending on the ‘sharpness’ of the ‘conjoined chevrons’, there could easily be small sections of red and buff showing between the acute angles of the two chevrons.

Although not the best blazon (because I refer to the charged fesse before the charges on either side of the fesse) the following ‘may’ be clearer -

"Per fesse dancetty of two points, overall a fesse dancetty of two points argent charged with a bar dancetty of two points wavy azure, between in chief ..... and in base .....".

Despite the inaccurate blazon the arms are quite attractive.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Arthur Radburn

Arthur Radburn
Total Posts:  229
Joined  15-06-2005

18 March 2007 09:34

Hi

Two chevrons side by side can be termed a "chevron coupled".  This would simplify the blazon, along the lines of:

Per chevron coupled Gules and Buff, on a chevron coupled Argent between in chief a firebomb Sable fimbriated and charged with a fleur de lis Or and enflamed proper, and in base two swords in saltire Argent hilted and pommeled Sable, a chevronel coupled wavy Azure.

Buff as an heraldic tincture is new to me.  Has anyone seen any other examples of its use in heraldry?

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

18 March 2007 10:44

Arthur Radburn wrote:

Buff as an heraldic tincture is new to me. Has anyone seen any other examples of its use in heraldry?

Buff is the branch color of the US Army Quartermaster Corps, and is used by TIOH in arms of units of that branch of the Army.

Buff goes way back in military heraldry (at least in an ancillary way) as the facing color of many British regiments and thus as the color of the field of their regimental colours.  It was also the facing color for regiments from some of the middle Atlantic states’ regiments in the Continental Army.  AFAIK, its use in coats of arms is unique to US Army quartermaster units. US quartermaster units also carry buff regimental colors.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

18 March 2007 12:31

Iain Boyd wrote:

Greetings all,

In my opinion, the division ‘per fesse’ is also incorrect.

I believe the blazon should begin - "Per fesse dancetty of two points ....." - so that the division is the same as the fesse overall.

If drawn according to the blazon and, depending on the ‘sharpness’ of the ‘conjoined chevrons’, there could easily be small sections of red and buff showing between the acute angles of the two chevrons.

Although not the best blazon (because I refer to the charged fesse before the charges on either side of the fesse) the following ‘may’ be clearer -

"Per fesse dancetty of two points, overall a fesse dancetty of two points argent charged with a bar dancetty of two points wavy azure, between in chief ..... and in base .....".

Despite the inaccurate blazon the arms are quite attractive.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Wow; you’re correct and picked up something that shouldn’t have slid by me.  Good job.

Hugh Brady

Hugh Brady
Total Posts:  989
Joined  16-08-2005

18 March 2007 15:16

Joseph McMillan wrote:

Buff is the branch color of the US Army Quartermaster Corps, and is used by TIOH in arms of units of that branch of the Army.

Buff goes way back in military heraldry (at least in an ancillary way) as the facing color of many British regiments and thus as the color of the field of their regimental colours.

Also, buff is the color of the field of the New Jersey state flag and the color of the diamond on the Delaware state flag.

Perhaps buff could also be used as a tincture for governmental arms used in these two states? Just a thought—I happen to like this tincture. If used with the Canadian Heraldic Authority’s copper, one could create a handsome coat of arms.

ninest123

ninest123
Total Posts:  1703
Joined  29-06-2017

09 October 2018 23:34