New web address and website

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

29 March 2007 09:01

Michael,

Thank you from all of us for your considerable work on the new site.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

29 March 2007 15:00

Yes, very good job.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 April 2007 16:23

I like thw new format (I liked the old one too).  I’ve had minor difficulties loggin on from the Forum home page, but if I read a posting (any posting) & then post a reply, I get the old-style login page & everything’s fine.  (That’s how I managed to sign on this time)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

01 April 2007 16:38

RE: the various emblazonments of the AHS arms—while I personally preferred the older, more plain-jane version, the Kurov version is very nice.  I have to agree with Fr. Guy & Joe that a consistent "public face" is useful—the same reason that I accept the military need for a consistent representation of regimental arms etc.  IMO the chosen version (whichever one is is) should be used consistently in all applications, on-line, print, etc., even if I might prefer a different version.  In this regard, again IMO, the needs of an organization seeking to establish a public presence are different than those of an individual or family, unless a family member is using the arms as a trademark or logo in which case that individual will also need a consistent image, at least in all business-related applications.  Besides the "image" interest, one consistent artistic rendering can be protected by copyright or registration as a trademark.

On the other hand, the existence of varying renditions is a useful object lesson of the permissible latitute for "artistic license."  I haven’t spent much time in the new Members Arms pages, but there seems to be an easy inclusion of varying renditions.  Something similar could be done for the various renditions of the AHS arms, either as part of the same Roll, or as a separate page linked to the AHS Home Page with an appropriate brief intro.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

01 April 2007 17:12

Michael F. McCartney;42939 wrote:

I like thw new format (I liked the old one too).  I’ve had minor difficulties loggin on from the Forum home page, but if I read a posting (any posting) & then post a reply, I get the old-style login page & everything’s fine.  (That’s how I managed to sign on this time)

The login is in the upper right corner of the top blue bar.  It is a small popup.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

04 April 2007 20:02

Mike,

Would you add a chat feature to the site, please?

It would be nice to "talk" to each other in real time.

And do you know how I can increase the size of my avatar?

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

05 April 2007 07:23

Trent,

Avatar sizes are limited. If it’s possible to make what you want larger, then you’ll need to start with a larger image to begin with. In general, and if I’m remembering correctly, I think that avatars are limited to 500 pixels square. If you cropped your image (which appears to be about 500 pixels long, so that only the shield was in it, and then increased the size of that image to 500 square, you’d see a bigger shield. But you probably won’t be able to make the entire achievement much larger than it is now.

Rob McLaughlin

Rob McLaughlin
Total Posts:  47
Joined  26-08-2006

05 April 2007 11:43

Michael,

I have a suggestion/request.

When and if possible could you add a ‘Mark Forums Read’ option at the bottom of the ‘New Posts’ page.

The site looks great….thanks for all of your work!

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

05 April 2007 11:52

Rob McLaughlin;43153 wrote:

Michael,

I have a suggestion/request.

When and if possible could you add a ‘Mark Forums Read’ option at the bottom of the ‘New Posts’ page.

The site looks great….thanks for all of your work!

It should be the second option in the quick links.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

05 April 2007 12:25

Patrick Williams;43138 wrote:

Trent,

I think that avatars are limited to 500 pixels square.

All right except the number. Make that 150 px square. (A bit more than the height of the AHS shield at the top left corner of this page.)

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

06 April 2007 11:35

Michael Swanson;42944 wrote:

The login is in the upper right corner of the top blue bar.  It is a small popup.

I can see the logon box on both my home and office computers.  In the office, I can actually log on there.  At home (on a laptop) I can try to type name & password into the same little box but it doesn’t "take" so I have to use the work-around I mentioned earlier.  Not sure why, but that’s how it works (or doesn’t) depending on which machine I’m using.  Oh well…

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

10 April 2007 22:09

Michael F. McCartney;43237 wrote:

I can see the logon box on both my home and office computers.  In the office, I can actually log on there.  At home (on a laptop) I can try to type name & password into the same little box but it doesn’t "take" so I have to use the work-around I mentioned earlier.  Not sure why, but that’s how it works (or doesn’t) depending on which machine I’m using.  Oh well…

If your browser blocks the login screen, then place this link in your favorites:

http://americanheraldry.org/forums/online.php

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Joined  24-05-2004

16 April 2007 20:43

DO we still have Personal Messaging?  I can’t find a link…

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

16 April 2007 20:51

Click on your name on the bar at the top right corner of the screen.

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

16 April 2007 21:01

Joseph McMillan;43648 wrote:

Click on your name on the bar at the top right corner of the screen.

Also, click on the person’s name in the message or click on quick links in the header of the page.