My Kids Want Their Own CoA’s!

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

01 April 2007 11:54

What if you were to suggest to your children that they design personal badges or impresse? If you would like, I can send you a SCA article on how to design an impresse. You might start them out designing a rebus to develop their heraldic creativity. I think it is wonderful that they are interested in heraldry but it should not loose its hereditary component in the process. They are your children, if you allow them to dictate what they want now, you will be in serious trouble when they are older.

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

01 April 2007 17:09

At some point in their young lives—maybe after they’re off to college, see what the rest of the world is like, and realize that Old Dad is a pretty sharp cookie after all—they will better appreciate the value of arms indicative of membership in their own family.  Much earlier than that, differentiation (cutting the apron strings) will trump common sense.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

02 April 2007 14:46

David Pritchard;42930 wrote:

They are your children, if you allow them to dictate what they want now, you will be in serious trouble when they are older.

True, children sometimes need a firm hand, and sometimes mine is a little more firm than my wife would prefer.  However, I must also choose my battles.  This isn’t about staying up until 0200 on a school-night; It’s about something which identifies them and with which they can be like their Daddy.  I think that you guys are right, though.  I think that I will insist that they wait to register their arms until they have a much clearer view of the world and how they want to actively participate therein.  In the meantime, there will be Fridge Tests to be conducted.

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

04 April 2007 21:31

Sounds like a good decision, Stephen.  Here’s the demi-eagle, shortened mound, and centered cross.  Have fun.

[IMG]http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3862/hickmankidsgi5.th.jpg

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

06 April 2007 23:24

Thanks, guys!  Thank you especially, Trent!  You’ve been most helpful!  And yes, I will have fun!  :D