Baker Arms

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

11 May 2007 22:14

David Pritchard;44766 wrote:

The banded garbs look very good in the chief. The arms would still be unique without the dovetailing. Is there a specific reason why you want this partition line?

The dove-tailed partition was/is a nod to our Pentecostal heritage.  Not necessary, I just threw it in there for kicks.

JRB

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

11 May 2007 22:17

David Pritchard wrote:

The only problem that I have with the crest is the height of the crook as it seems very large in comparison to the standing bear. I think that the bear’s arms should be in the same position and height that is like the arm in your example closest to the viewer.

Sheesh….picky, picky, picky….rolleyes

David Pritchard wrote:

May I suggest that the bear be armed, eyed and langued Argent/Or rather than Gules? The arms and crest already use two metals and two colours and it would be nice not to add an additional colour.

I armed, eyed, and langued the bear Gules simply to give it a ferocious look. I don’t really think the arming, eyeing, and languing of the bear will make a dramatic addition to the color pallate of the arms, but what the heck…

Is this better?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/BakerCrest3.jpg

Take care,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

11 May 2007 22:42

PBlanton;44771 wrote:

Is this better?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/BakerCrest3.jpg

The changes are wonderful! Looks just like the Black Forest umbrella holder that I had in mind.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

11 May 2007 22:50

Jonathan R. Baker;44770 wrote:

The dove-tailed partition was/is a nod to our Pentecostal heritage.

A rather tenuous connection to Pentecostalism is it not? The dove is the allegorical representation of the Holy Spirit; Pentecostal worship is centered around the Holy Spirit. But what is the connection of a specific carpentry joint to Pentecostalism other than the coincidental name reference to another symbol?

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

11 May 2007 23:08

David Pritchard wrote:

A rather tenuous connection to Pentecostalism is it not? The dove is the allegorical representation of the Holy Spirit; Pentecostal worship is centered around the Holy Spirit. But what is the connection of a specific carpentry joint to Pentecostalism other than the coincidental name reference to another symbol?

Since the flame is another symbol of the Holy Spirit and Pentecost, what if the garbs, as proposed by John Duncan, were set aflame? It would definately make an interesting looking coat of arms! LOL

Take care,

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

11 May 2007 23:29

And we could say that they are fueling the baker’s oven! :D

Two birds with one stone!

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

11 May 2007 23:38

David Pritchard;44774 wrote:

That was the intention, that the allusion be subtle.  At least more so than plonking a flaming dove in the middle of the shield.:D

Well, tomorrow’s the day I have my pow-wow with the family, so I should have some more direction by the end of this weekend.

JRB

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

12 May 2007 10:11

JB,

It really is straining the definition of "subtle" to claim that the dovetail partition is an allusion to the Pentecostal dove.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

12 May 2007 10:25

Well, it seems that the dovetail partition is about as popular as Sarge’s wreath (it didn’t do so well in the chat room either), so unless my family just flips over it, we’ll go another direction.:D

JRB

Trent

Trent
Total Posts:  325
Joined  01-11-2006

12 May 2007 10:38

JB,

I like it as a design; it is one of my favorite.

I think it would look even better on your shield if it were fimbriated Argent.

J Duncan of Sketraw

J Duncan of Sketraw
Total Posts:  271
Joined  15-01-2006

12 May 2007 22:16

PBlanton;44776 wrote:

Since the flame is another symbol of the Holy Spirit and Pentecost, what if the garbs, as proposed by John Duncan, were set aflame? It would definately make an interesting looking coat of arms! LOL

Take care,

You leave my Garbs alone Philip smile

John

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Joined  27-03-2007

13 May 2007 18:13

Well, the family has all left to go home, but it was a productive visit.  In addition to my parents and grandparents, my aunt drove over from Nashville and we hammered out what we liked best.  John Duncan will be happy to know that the garbs carried the day with the final color scheme adopted being something like this:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y155/jonishairy/Heraldry/BakerFinal-3.gif

And for the crest, the salient bear holding a shepherd’s crook as posted by Phil Blanton.

All that remains is for my grandfather, father and myself to create personal badges/mottoes.

So, I’ll take a stab at blazoning the shield and crest:

Shield—Vert, thirteen estoiles Argent, on a chief Sable fimbriated Or three garbs of the same, banded Vert.

Crest—A bear salient sable armed, eyed, and langued Or, grasping a shepherd’s crook of the same.

Now, I don’t trust my blazoning abilities at all, so if there are any errors in the above I thank you to point them out.

Also, now that the design is settled upon, how far should I proceed to have made a good-faith attempt to make sure that the design is unique and doesn’t infringe upon anyone else’s achievement?

Thanks,

JRB

Andrew J Vidal

Andrew J Vidal
Total Posts:  567
Joined  13-10-2006

13 May 2007 18:58

The final design looks very nice indeed!  I agree, the garbs look much better than the peels.

The only thing that I can see (and don’t take my word for it as my blazoning is still in it’s infancy) is if you want the estoiles to be layed out exacly as you have them emblazoned here I would specify it.  As in, "...13 estoiles argent (4-3-4-2)".  But that may not be necessary, others will have more experience in this area.

As for good faith, you could look thru the various online armorials and members arms pages to see if your design is too close for comfort.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Joined  06-11-2005

13 May 2007 19:15

Jonathan,

I agree with Andrew, the final design is very nice. The only suggestion that I’d have on the blazon is that you forgot to say the chief was dovetailed. :D

Jonathan R. Baker wrote:

John Duncan will be happy to know that the garbs carried the day

Great! Can we set them ablaze now?

Jonathan R. Baker wrote:

And for the crest, the salient bear holding a shepherd’s crook as posted by Phil Blanton.

I feel special now… :mrgreen:

Take care,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

13 May 2007 19:21

It is my belief that the final design of the shield is unique. The fimbriated dove-tailed partition line ensured this. If you were to search for similar blazons, I suggest that you examine English arms granted between 1475 to 1575 for design similarities. There are probably some crests very similar if not even exactly like yours but they are in all likelihood eyed, langued and armed Gules rather than Or.

I would not specify the placement of the thirteen estoiles as you will have more success with alternative shield and flag shapes if there is some flexibility in the arrangement.