The Armorial Register Newsletter

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

29 July 2007 01:51

I would like to weigh in on this.  I realize that my arms, being assumed, are not recognized by any heraldic authority.  Do I really need for my arms to be so recognized?  Yes, if I wish to display them in, say, Great Britain, then I would need to do so in accordance with British Law.  However, if I wish to display them in a country with no such heraldic authority, the United States being a prime example, then such recognition is unneccessary, and the lack thereof irrelavent.  The arms which I have assumed and duly registered are mine.  No, they are not protected under U.S. Law, and anyone who sees and likes my arms could, if they would be so inclined, could assume them as if they were their own.  They could do the same with Sir Elton John’s arms.  His arms aren’t protected in the U.S. any more than mine are, even though he recieved his arms from the College of Arms.  Despite this, I am an armiger, for I have a coat of arms.  I have assumed them.  Does this invalidate my arms?  Of course not!  They’re still my arms!  Am I any less of an armiger because of assumption?  Of course not!  I’m an armiger!  Is the global heraldic community injured, even in a small way, because my arms are assumed?  Of course not!  Another coat of arms has been blazoned and emblazoned for the entire heraldic community to see and admire!  I have added to the richness and beauty of heraldry.  I have given my future generations an inheiritance for them to connect to me, even though I am in their past.  I have started a family tradition which, God willing, will last for thousands of years.  If, in the future, one of my decendants decides to have these arms recognized by some heraldic authority, then that would be simply wonderful.  However, in the United States at least, it is not required for arms to be displayed.

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

30 July 2007 09:12

MODERATION:

The portion of this discussion which ceased to be about the Armorial Register and went into a discussion about grants of arms to New Zealanders has been moved to the category of "Foreign Arms" under a thread entitled "Arms Granted to New Zealanders". The only thing deleted from it was one post which had already been deleted by the member who posted it. the rest of the discussion is there intact.