Badge

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Total Posts:  732
Joined  20-08-2006

11 July 2007 00:27

After a lot of thought, i think I finally decided on a badge but I wanted to use the forums for a fridge test.. so i’ll have it as my avatar for a little while while i decide if I like it

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

11 July 2007 10:52

P.S. Any comments or criticism would be greatly appreciated smile

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

11 July 2007 11:30

Attractive, simple, unique—what’s not to like?

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

11 July 2007 11:46

arriano;47276 wrote:

Attractive, simple, unique—what’s not to like?

I’m not sure if I like the trident or not. But I’m glad to see you like the design.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

11 July 2007 11:47

That’s a nice, simple design.  I’m assuming that is some form of trident.  Is this correct?  And what is its significance?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

11 July 2007 14:49

Dear Colin,

I actually like your badge. The only issue that I have with your badge design is that with the compony bordure, which could be misconstrued to be a mark of cadency, it could be confused with a coat-of-arms on a round shield. I would suggest giving the compony border an embattled edge to reflect the chequey pattern of your arms. I am glad to see that in the badge the tincture Tenney is of a very traditional shade rather than modern orange. The older shade on Tenney is much easier on the eyes.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

11 July 2007 16:05

I like it alot, Colin. The trident to me looks alot like an astronomical symbol of some heavenly body, moreso than a "nautical" trident, if that makes any sense :p.

Also, David, are badges ever differenced? Are they even inherited like arms, or are they just badges ‘of’ that sole armiger?

Cheers,

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

11 July 2007 17:34

MohamedHossam;47285 wrote:

Also, David, are badges ever differenced? Are they even inherited like arms, or are they just badges ‘of’ that sole armiger?

Badges are never differenced. Over most of history, badges have belonged to the head of the family. In the case of badges of royal persons, they have been associated with specific persons or with a specific position such as the Prince of Wales. In Scotland badges are still the property of the head of the family. Since the early twentieth century they have descended by gavelkind* in England.

* gavelkind, noun - Gavelkind was the practice of partible or equal inheritance, as opposed to primogeniture.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

12 July 2007 00:06

David Pritchard;47283 wrote:

Dear Colin,

I actually like your badge. The only issue that I have with your badge design is that with the compony bordure, which could be misconstrued to be a mark of cadency, it could be confused with a coat-of-arms on a round shield.

Do you mean the outside of the badge be embattled (like a gear) or the inside. I think if the inside is embattled it will look a lot more like a cadency mark. The meaning of the triton is a type of cadency mark. It is a mark that distinguishes generation, the triton being the third generation (I always count my Grandfather as 1st, my father as second). While i know this is very unconventional.

You see I like the idea and philosophy of cadency, something that establishes uniquness without losing the links to the family, but I don’t like its various implimentation’s. I don’t like either the scottish or english systems so I have always tried to come up with something a little different, at least for my family and fmy future generations. I thought the badge would be a good place for this as it can already be different for every individual, I figured it could be fairly useful as well in terms of cadency. (Yes I am aware that a lot of my fellow members will not like this brand of cadency, but I am comertable pushing the limits on this one smile )

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

12 July 2007 13:44

Linusboarder;47295 wrote:

Do you mean the outside of the badge be embattled (like a gear) or the inside.

I did mean outside as in a gear. What I was envisioning in my mind however, was a border chequey (in whatever manner you prefer) embattled (on the outside) as a reference to your arms.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

12 July 2007 22:16

David Pritchard;47306 wrote:

I did mean outside as in a gear. What I was envisioning in my mind however, was a border chequey (in whatever manner you prefer) embattled (on the outside) as a reference to your arms.

Hmm that’s a pretty good idea, I’ll play around with it some this week and see what I can come up with.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

12 July 2007 22:32

I would also suggest that while you are experimenting with the badge design, that you try this blazon: A trident Argent on an Orange*. I do very much prefer the shade of Tenney that you used on this first version of the badge as it is in keeping with the historic shade of Tenney rather than the modern day orange that takes is shade from the aniline (chemical) dyes developed in the late 19th century. I really like your version of the trident, it being far superior to the trident used by the Ukraine on their national arms.

The most famous trident in the modern world, the trident marque of Maserati:
<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.carenthusiast.com/logos/logo_maserati.gif
</div>

*I had to look this term up in an heraldic dictionary as I had never seen it is use. Orange is the heraldic term for a roundel Tenney.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

13 July 2007 11:05

David Pritchard;47315 wrote:

I would also suggest that while you are experimenting with the badge design, that you try this blazon: A trident Argent on an Orange*. I do very much prefer the shade of Tenney that you used on this first version of the badge as it is in keeping with the historic shade of Tenney rather than the modern day orange that takes is shade from the aniline (chemical) dyes developed in the late 19th century. I really like your version of the trident, it being far superior to the trident used by the Ukraine on their national arms.

The most famous trident in the modern world, the trident marque of Maseratri:
<div class=“bbcode_center” >
http://www.carenthusiast.com/logos/logo_maserati.gif
</div>

*I had to look this term up in an heraldic dictionary as I had never seen it is use. Orange is the heraldic term for a roundel Tenney.

I know Badges don’t always follow the tincture rule, but can I put Azure on Tenne, or is that a violation of the rule. Is Tenne a metal or a color?

A also thought about using the Barbados Flag’s trident as well.

http://www.travel-images.com/barbados.gif

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

13 July 2007 12:08

Linusboarder;47325 wrote:

I know Badges don’t always follow the tincture rule, but can I put Azure on Tenne, or is that a violation of the rule. Is Tenne a metal or a color?

Tenney is a colour just like Azure. I believe that badges follow the tincture rules, most likely because the persons designing the badges are heralds. One can find badges that are comprised of two metals just as one does with supporters. I see no reason why badges cannot be comprised of two colours as long as they are freestanding badges, meaning that they are not on a roundel or anything that could be confused with a field such as a square, triangle, octagon etc.

Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

16 July 2007 02:04
Linusboarder

Linusboarder
Joined  20-08-2006

16 July 2007 02:05

This is one with different tridents, or a fleur De Lis:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5669/badge6mk8.png http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/142/badge7uw4.png

I kind of like the style Trident David recommended