Lbj

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

19 July 2007 22:12

I’ve just tonight finished my emblazonment of LBJ’s arms as "granted" by the American College of Heraldry and Arms and uploaded the article at http://americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=President.LBJohnson.

Credit to Mike Swanson, on whose earlier work on this subject I drew heavily.

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

20 July 2007 00:14

Just finished reading it now, Joe. Excellent work, to you and Mike!

The arms in the grants are very nice, and your rendition is amzaing. 10 out of 10! :D

Cheers,

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

20 July 2007 18:55

Another very good addition to the series.

Couple of questions/comments:

1. Looking at the arms, are you sure they’re not fimbriated Or rather than Argent?

2. Since Sen. Brewseter was so involved, I wonder if he too didn’t receive a grant of arms from the group.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

20 July 2007 19:05

I find it interesting that the people involved with this group would want to promote the subject, yet not put enough effort into it to make sure that it is done right.  With the kind of media attention that they were able to garner, they could have really done a lot to promote heraldry instead of the lackluster attempt that was made.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

20 July 2007 21:11

arriano;47605 wrote:

Another very good addition to the series.

Couple of questions/comments:

1. Looking at the arms, are you sure they’re not fimbriated Or rather than Argent?

Yes, as verified by checking the RGB values on the fimbriated area.  They run about 170:170:170 to 150:145:140, both of which are shades of gray.  Gold or yellow tones will have high red and green and low blue values.  The eagle in the crest, for example, runs about 150:120:80.  Also, an Argent fimbriation is the only way to make sense of the word "bordure" that appears in one of the blazons—the saltire is "bordured" argent.

Quote:

2. Since Sen. Brewseter was so involved, I wonder if he too didn’t receive a grant of arms from the group.

Quite possible, but all the principals in the AC of H & A seem to be deceased.  Their records don’t seem to have been deposited in any publicly accessible library or archive, and efforts by a couple of our members to contact their surviving family in the past seem to have been fruitless.  So who knows?

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

21 July 2007 00:34

given the obvious problems i think this is an excellent piece joe.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

21 July 2007 22:45

Joseph McMillan;47622 wrote:

Quite possible, but all the principals in the AC of H & A seem to be deceased.  Their records don’t seem to have been deposited in any publicly accessible library or archive, and efforts by a couple of our members to contact their surviving family in the past seem to have been fruitless.  So who knows?

I presume someone has checked the Baltimore Public Library? Just a thought, and you never know. Sometimes things like this are sitting forgotten on a shelf in the basement of a library without being properly catalogued. Having worked in a large public library in the past, I know from experience that strange things are found all the time.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

22 July 2007 01:45

Another excellent article, Joe!  Thank you.  :D

BTW, is "Baltimoreans" really how one would identify people from Baltimore?  It just sounds odd.

Take care,

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

26 August 2007 10:04

All:  I finally tracked down the photo I had from the LBJ library of the original certificate presented to President Johnson and have uploaded it to the article, at http://americanheraldry.org/pages/index.php?n=President.LBJohnson