FLASH! McCarthy DEAD!

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

06 August 2007 07:44

I received the following shocking message from a friend in Sydney:

"I am sorry to say I received a phone call this afternoon advising me of the sudden death of Michael McCarthy. It seems that Michael died unexpectedly but peacefully at home while sitting in an armchair watching television. This is of course a great shock– although Michael has been in indifferent health for some time. I can hardly believe it. I was due to spend time with him this week preparing for a visit this weekend by the members of Heraldry Australia to St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney, to look at the many examples of heraldic images in carvings, in stained glass, and on furniture, vestments and sacred vessels.  Further details as they come to hand."

I, too, am shocked and saddened. May he rest in peace.

Kelisli

Kelisli
Total Posts:  570
Joined  13-08-2006

06 August 2007 09:35

May he rest in peace.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

06 August 2007 11:12

What an terrible loss to heraldry. Michael has left a brilliant legacy to the world in his art work and many fine books. He shall be remembered.

<div class=“bbcode_center” >
Requiescat in pace.
</div>

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

06 August 2007 12:36

May he rest in peace.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

06 August 2007 15:06

Michael and I during his last visit to the USA in September, 2006. He had just addressed the College of Arms Foundation and the NY Genealogical & Biographical Society. We had another lovely visit in Sydney in April of this year during which I attended a meeting of HeraldryAustralia. I still can’t believe he’s dead.

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249716.jpg

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

06 August 2007 15:57

I’m sorry to hear this sad news. It is good to know that he passed peacefully and at home.

May he rest at peace in the arms of our Savior.

Take care,

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

06 August 2007 19:02

This is very sad indeed. It’s hard to believe he’s gone. It was only a couple of weeks ago that I was talking to him arranging to purchase his ecclesiastical heraldry manual. I wonder what this means for all his other excellent books.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

06 August 2007 21:07

I heard further news about Michael’s death today. Since he lived alone he apparently passed away without anyone knowing for some time. When the police found him they guess that he had been dead for several days. He was only 57.

DRShorey

DRShorey
Total Posts:  528
Joined  11-12-2005

06 August 2007 21:39

Guy,

As appropriate, could you please express the Society’s condolences to his family and friends. Also, please accept my condolences on your loss of a friend and colleague.

David Shorey

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

06 August 2007 21:46

Thanks, David.

By the way…my avatar is the version of my arms done by Michael.

Sandy Turnbull

Sandy Turnbull
Total Posts:  157
Joined  21-03-2007

07 August 2007 08:41

A circular from Heraldry Australia has advised that Michael’s funeral will be held at 10.00am on Tuesday, August 14 at St Canices Roman Catholic Church, 28 Roslyn Street, Elizabeth Bay, Sydney.

Marcus K

Marcus K
Total Posts:  3368
Joined  06-05-2005

07 August 2007 16:46

Very Sad News indeed, may he rest in peace.

gselvester

gselvester
Joined  11-05-2004

08 August 2007 18:59

Below is the obituary I prepared for the American College of Heraldry (on whose Board of Advisors I serve). In addition, Heraldry Australia will be making use of this as well.

http://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249952.jpghttp://excoboard.com/forums/18883/user/133625/249953.jpg

MICHAEL FRANCIS McCARTHY,KCHS

(1950-2007)

Born January 20, 1950. Died August 3, 2007 suddenly at home at Darlinghurst.

Fond son of Norah Elizabeth (Scullion) and the late Francis John McCarthy, brother of Daniel and Thomas and uncle to their children. He was a former administrator at the School of Asian Studies, University of Sydney. He had been a seminarian in his youth but decided not to pursue the priesthood and he went home to Tasmania. He maintained strong links with the Church and in 2002 was invested as a Knight of the Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre. Recently he had been promoted to Knight Commander.

In 2003 he received a small grant from the National Library of Ireland to produce a book on the coats of arms of the bishops of Ireland. The beginnings of this were presented as a paper at the XXVIIth International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences convened at St. Andrews, Scotland in 2006. The completed work is with the Chief Herald of Ireland for review. He was hoping for its completion and eventual publication book at the time of his death.

From an early interest in heraldry encouraged by Archbishop Bruno Heim during his appointment to the Court of St James&#8217;, Michael established Thylacine Press (named after extinct carnivorous marsupial from his native Tasmania) in 1998 to publish works on ecclesiastical heraldry, which would be given in the historical context in which particular Coats-of-Arms were and are used. At his death he was the author, primary illustrator and publisher of no less than seven books on heraldry. They are:

An Armorial of the Hierarchy of the Catholic Church in Australia, 1998

Heraldica Collegii Cardinalium ,(Vol II), 2000

Armoria Sedium, 2001

Heraldica Collegii Cardinalium ,(Vol I), 2001

A Manual of Ecclesiastical Heraldry, 2005

Dragonkind, 2007

Armoria Pontificalium, 2007

In addition, in 2001 and again in 2005 he published supplements to the Heraldica Collegii Cardinalium and a CD Rom updated version of the Armorial of the Australian Catholic Hierarchy was produced in 2005.

A fine artist and a keen scholar Michael’s unique style was befriended, encouraged and heavily influenced by the late great Archbishop Bruno Heim as well as being influenced by the late Dom Anselm Baker, OCSO. Michael could often be seen to be "difficult" by those who didn’t know him well. He had very strong opinions and didn’t suffer fools gladly. However, after a disagreement it was often he who was the first to offer a conciliatory word. Horribly worried about the decaying state of heraldry in the Catholic Church Michael undertook to effect a revival of sorts building on the foundation laid by Heim. For those who will miss his work and his contributions to the world of ecclesiastical heraldry his efforts were certainly not in vain and he was somewhat successful in achieving his goals. It is a shame that his untimely death comes just as he was beginning to receive the recognition he so richly deserved as one of the world’s leading scholars of heraldry as well as one of its finest heraldic artists. In his Manual of Ecclesiastical Heraldry he left a work of great practical utility to experts as well as to many amateurs.

Michael was a devout man with a dry but very quick sense of humor. He lived modestly in Darlinghurst and ran his pet project, Thylacine Press, out of his residence. His tiny cramped library was a treasure trove of heraldica! In recent years he began to look forward to a hoped-for return to his native Tasmania. He will be sorely missed by those who knew him personally and those who knew only his magnificent and prolific work.

In recent times Michael had been putting his art work into bound volumes for its protection and with a view to its ultimate bequest to the Vatican Library to which he left &#8220;all my library of heraldic books, manuscripts, illustrations, artwork and related material and all copyrights belonging to me whether in published or unpublished works.&#8221; He was a member of Heraldry Australia as well as the Society of Heraldic Artists.

The Mass of Christian Burial for Mr MICHAEL FRANCIS McCARTHY will be offered in St. Canice&#8217;s Church, Roslyn Street, Elizabeth Bay, on Tuesday (August 14, 2007), commencing at 10 a.m.

May He Rest In Peace.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

08 August 2007 19:46

Thank you for posting this obituary, Fr. Guy.  The world of armory and its enthusiasts did indeed suffer a great loss.

My prayers for his family.

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

14 August 2007 09:23

A profound loss… Is there a designated heir to his pair of thylacines?

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

13 September 2007 19:16

A 12 September 2007 article/interview about Michael McCarthy on Zenit

Papal Coat of Arms Still Relevant

http://zenit.org/article-20480?l=english