Neubecker’s "Guide to Heraldry"

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

10 August 2007 23:16

I found that Barnes and Noble has published a 2007 edition of Ottfriend Neubecker’s excellent book A Guide to Heraldry. The orginal publication (coffee-table sized) was published in 1979 in a 264-page pocket sized version. This small book is the one republished. This is not an updated version. All 264 pages are the same. I mention it because now B&N is publishing it as a "bargain-priced" book. I got it for $7.98!

Since B&N has published the newer version if there isn’t one in your local store they can get it for you.

If you don’t have this book…GET IT! This is one of those that is a good little resource to have.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

11 August 2007 01:27

Wow!  Thanks for that heads-up.  Just tonight, I was asking David Pritchard what he thought I should purchase next.  For eight bucks, this is just too good to pass up.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

11 August 2007 01:33

I have the full size Neubecker and recommend it to everyone interested in heraldry. It is a good introduction to non-British heraldry as most of the focus of this book is on European heraldry.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

14 August 2007 21:11

I picked up this book the other day, and although I haven’t waded into it yet, it looks to be a very interesting read.  The larger version, I imagine, would be nicer for the larger photographs, however this smaller version has the advantage of price.  I also recommend it, as eight dollars is a steal.

By the way, my local Barnes and Noble had two other copies, and if someone were to have trouble locating a copy, I would be happy to help.

Thanks again to Fr. Guy, without whom I would not even have known to look for it.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

19 August 2007 16:39

Although I already have the "coffee table" version, I picked up my new "travel size" version while I was at B&N the other day. It’s definately worth the price and for those in the St. Louis area, the B&N on Mid Rivers Drive in St. Peters had quite a few copies left. Thanks for the tip, Fr. Guy! :D

Take care,