Latin help

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Total Posts:  2462
Joined  26-02-2005

02 September 2007 10:33

Here is a simple one:  "Know the earth"  What is the latin?

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

02 September 2007 11:44

When you write "know" what kind of knowing are you trying to convey? You probably aware that in most languages other than English, to know is not simply one verb but two or three different verbs with various differences. Just what earth are you meaning, the Earth or the soil?

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Total Posts:  700
Joined  01-12-2006

02 September 2007 11:52

"Novisse Orbis", according to my Latin-English dictionary.  This is assuming that you mean, "be familiar with the planet Earth as if it were a person".  Otherwise, the translation would be, "Scire Terra", which means, "understand the ground/soil".

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

02 September 2007 13:20

David Pritchard;49159 wrote:

When you write "know" what kind of knowing are you trying to convey? You probably aware that in most languages other than English, to know is not simply one verb but two or three different verbs with various differences. Just what earth are you meaning, the Earth or the soil?

The intended meaining is this: Y’all, "know the earth" (as in "you should study geography/geology")

gselvester

gselvester
Total Posts:  2683
Joined  11-05-2004

02 September 2007 13:46

Stephen R. Hickman;49160 wrote:

"Novisse Orbis", according to my Latin-English dictionary.  This is assuming that you mean, "be familiar with the planet Earth as if it were a person".  Otherwise, the translation would be, "Scire Terra", which means, "understand the ground/soil".

I would second that you should go with "Scire Terra" but I would, nevertheless, translate "terra" as "Earth". I’m not saying it doesn’t mean ground/soil/dirt but I am saying that the word "terra" can be used to understand the (planet) Earth as the world and all that is in it. Think of, for example, the use of this word in the following phrase:

"Pater Noster qui es in caelis; sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum sicut in caelo et in terra..."

(Our Father, who art in heaven; hallowed by thy name. Thy kingdom come thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven…)

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

02 September 2007 15:36

Another option would be: Scire Orbis Terrerum, or in English Know the Circle of the Earth. Circle meaning the entire world.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

02 September 2007 17:02

Michael Swanson;49164 wrote:

The intended meaining is this: Y’all, "know the earth" (as in "you should study geography/geology")

To throw a light nuance in here, you seem to be using "know the earth" as a command. If this is the case, you need to use a different form of the verb scio. Scire is the infinitive. The imperative forms are scito (2nd person singluarl) and scite (2nd person plural). And terra should be in the accusative case (terram). I would also go with terra rather than orbis. When I see orbis I tend to think of the English words world or globe, such as in the pope’s Urbi et Orbi (to the City and to the World). I don’t think orbis conveys the meaning of earth as the chunk of rock which is studied in geology.

For your reference (singular forms only since I don’t think you mean multiple earths or worlds):

Nom. terra - orbis

Gen. terrae - orbis

Dat. terrae - orbi

Acc. terram - orbem

Abl. terra - orbe

And it’d be Scire Orbem Terrae (To know the Circle of the Earth). Terrarum is the genitive plural of terra, i.e. "of the earths."

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

03 September 2007 00:22

And I thought that English was a hard language to master…:rolleyes:

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Joined  26-01-2007

03 September 2007 01:15

Stephen R. Hickman;49182 wrote:

And I thought that English was a hard language to master…:rolleyes:

Latin with only five cases is simple compared to some languages, Hungarian, for example, has twenty-four cases.

Stephen R. Hickman

Stephen R. Hickman
Joined  01-12-2006

03 September 2007 22:42

Just another reason why I don’t have a Hungarian-English dictionary.

Anyway, Michael, I hope that we were able to help.

Jochen

Jochen
Total Posts:  232
Joined  04-05-2005

04 September 2007 04:10

"Nosce mundum" or "nosce orbem" or "nosce terram" should do.

Classical pronounciation: Naws-keh moon-doom, naws-keh or-bam, naws-keh terr-ahm.

The literal meaning is - more ore less - "get (thou) acquainted with the Earth."

"Nosce" is the imperative of "noscere" = to get acquainted with sth.

"novisse" is the past infinitive of "noscere" and means "to have got acquainted with sth". There is not such a thing like past imperative.

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

04 September 2007 09:20

So clarify the difference for you, Michael. If you’re intending your motto to convey the meaning "understand the earth" or "know something factual about the earth" go with the verb scire in the proper form. If you want it to convey the idea of "learn about the earth" or "get to know the earth" use noscere.

And in case your so inclined, Ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation of scire and noscere, to keep it simple, is more or less how it is written except that "sc" when followed by an i or an e is pronounced as the English sh

Michael Swanson

Michael Swanson
Joined  26-02-2005

04 September 2007 10:30

Thank you for your help.  I am helping someone who I have invited to join the AHS but has not yet.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

20 December 2007 10:50

Anyone have a good translation for "consilium instinctum" into English?  Is this even proper Latin?

Kyle=

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Joined  07-07-2007

20 December 2007 18:09

Is this something you came across, or is it something you’re trying to say, in which case what are you trying to say?

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

20 December 2007 21:12

No, this is something my brother gave me as something to consider for his motto, which he gave me a translation for.

However, knowing my brother, I am not 100% sure it says what he wants it to say… so I’m soliciting opinions.

I don’t want to give the game away by telling you what HE thinks it says… thought I’d see what you could come up with.  =)

Kyle=