Degrassi Community School

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Total Posts:  1104
Joined  16-03-2005

14 September 2007 13:38

http://www.degrassi.tv/assets/locker/interests-default.gif

Above, the rather unfortunate arms of Degrassi Community School, with the escroll strangely over the lower part of the shield.

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

14 September 2007 18:13

Not a horrible design. I think it would look much better without the monogram in chief sinister. If they felt they absolutely needed it, then a simple "D" would have been better.

I kinda like the scroll across the bottom of the shield. It’s different and adds some depth to the design.

Take care,

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

14 September 2007 19:48

At least the scroll doesn’t really obscure the design… reminds me of when palliums are placed over bishops’ arms, but those often do obscure some design.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

15 September 2007 00:47

I second everything that Phil said.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

15 September 2007 11:25

PBlanton;49683 wrote:

Not a horrible design. I think it would look much better without the monogram in chief sinister. If they felt they absolutely needed it, then a simple "D" would have been better.

I kinda like the scroll across the bottom of the shield. It’s different and adds some depth to the design.

Take care,

Though I don’t care for the overall design, the interesting and attractive part of it IMO is the two chevronels where normally a chevron would be placed.

Patrick Williams

Patrick Williams
Total Posts:  1356
Joined  29-07-2006

15 September 2007 12:14

Actually, I think this design just flat misses the mark. It’s actually a good thing that the escrol is placed where it is as it obscures the lack of a charge in base. Were the shield shown without the escrol in this unusual position, I think everyone would complain about the lack of balance in the design. I’m not particularly offended by the torch, but, like many, feel that this charge (along with the lamp of knowledge) are terribly overused in scholastic arms. And the initials ... well, the less said the better. In the end, I feel that this is a rather unimaginative and not well-informed use of heraldry.

Daniel C. Boyer

Daniel C. Boyer
Joined  16-03-2005

21 October 2007 14:01

Strangely, the arms are used in other tinctures on the school’s soccer uniforms, with the chevronels elongated to sinister.