Scottish and American arms for MacLea

Guy Power

Guy Power
Total Posts:  1576
Joined  05-01-2006

02 March 2008 11:39

Kyle wrote:

In addition to this, I thought of simply placing the New England pine tree over the Azure cross-crosslet.

Kyle,

How about a tip from the MacGregor Arms?  I once saw a kilt pin using the major charges:

http://www.highlandcathedral.org/images/arm/macgregor1.jpg

Yours could be "A New England pine tree Proper in bend sinister surmounted of a cross-crosslet fichey Azure in bend."

—Guy

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

02 March 2008 14:05

kmansfield;54879 wrote:

Of course the Scottish tradition would simply be to put your crest within a circlet inscribed with your motto.

Well, I may actually use something like this too, but I was also thinking about something smaller or simpler.

kmansfield;54879 wrote:

But seeing as how you are also embracing the American, you are free to do whatever you like. Is there anything that you thought about including in your arms that perhaps didn’t make the cut for design considerations?

That’s a good question.  Of the things I think would be possibilities in a badge would be the "jeweler" references (in the crest of the sparrowhawk-holding-ring but it could be as simple as a ring, or as suggested by eploy, a gold disc), the lion, the Azure cross, and/or the New England Pine Tree.

I’m open to any ideas though, even more than I was open (perhaps) in the arms themselves.  Since there is no firm Scottish tradition that I am trying to adhere to, I am free to do whatever looks nice and "feels" right.  So any ideas will be appreciated!

Kyle=

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

02 March 2008 14:10

eploy;54883 wrote:

For your badge, I would consider putting your NE Pine tree on a gold disk which would in turn be placed over the intersection of your cross-crosslet.  The arms & ends of the cross-crosslet should be visible.

This sounds attractive.  I did consider having some kind of gold ring, etc., to reference my jeweler forebear.  This would aid in visibility by making it a solid ring (or it could even be voided around the shape of a cross so it looks kind of like the symbol for Earth?).  The edges of the cross-crosslet being visible would also be neat.  I’ll have to try sketching this out.

eploy;54883 wrote:

An alternative would be to place a lion’s head affronte Gules langued Azure on the gold disk instead of the pine tree.  The rationale simply being that the lion is in the first quarter of your arms and presumably the more important charge.

Also a great idea, with the langued Azure as a subtle reference to the Cross of St Moluag.  I’ll also have to see what I can do to visualize this.

With anyone who wants to try emblazoning any of these ideas, I would love to see your attempts.  My own attempts tend to be pretty ham-handed and look pretty terrible, so getting a good idea of what a real artist might come up with would be a great aid.

But I appreciate the blazon ideas notwithstanding any images!  Thanks!  They’re really good ideas.

Kyle=

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

02 March 2008 14:12

Guy Power;54887 wrote:

How about a tip from the MacGregor Arms?  Yours could be "A New England pine tree Proper in bend sinister surmounted of a cross-crosslet fichey Azure in bend."

—Guy

Very interesting!  I’ll have to try sketching this out too, see how it looks.

Also gives me an idea for a kilt pin—instead of those sword-shaped ones, I could go with a cross-crosslet fitchy.

Thanks, Guy!

Kyle=

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

04 March 2008 00:15

A couple ideas for badges (no time for artwork yet):

A cross crosslet fitchy Azure enfiling a ring Or gemmed Gules. (The effect would look something like a Celtic circle & pin brooch.)

Another:

A lion’s face Gules jessant a cross crosslet fitchy Azure. (The effect would be like "jessant-de-lis" but with a cross crosslet fitchy instead of a fleur-de-lis.)

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

04 March 2008 18:18

Dohrman Byers;54942 wrote:

A cross crosslet fitchy Azure enfiling a ring Or gemmed Gules. (The effect would look something like a Celtic circle & pin brooch.)

Wow, this is a neat idea, and also ties in the Celtic look.  I like this a great deal!

Another:

A lion’s face Gules jessant a cross crosslet fitchy Azure. (The effect would be like "jessant-de-lis" but with a cross crosslet fitchy instead of a fleur-de-lis.)

Also a neat idea!  My only concern here would be whether it looks like I’ve just stabbed the lion through the back of the head with a strangely shaped sword?

Kyle=

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

05 March 2008 00:39

Kyle MacLea;54977 wrote:

My only concern here would be whether it looks like I’ve just stabbed the lion through the back of the head with a strangely shaped sword?

Kyle=

A little more violent but not as weird as stabbing it through the back of the head with a lily.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

05 March 2008 11:02

Dohrman Byers;54988 wrote:

A little more violent but not as weird as stabbing it through the back of the head with a lily.

Father has a point!

Kyle=

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

06 March 2008 03:02

What about a cross crosslet fitchy Azure fretted with a ring Or gemmed Gules?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/MacLea.jpg

Take care,

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

06 March 2008 08:04

PBlanton;55015 wrote:

What about a cross crosslet fitchy Azure fretted with a ring Or gemmed Gules?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/pblanton/MacLea.jpg

Take care,

Thank you, Philip, very much!  When I have a chance to try emblazoning the others, I’m going to have to compare these.  I like this and will have to see how the others look!  THANKS!

Kyle=

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

06 March 2008 21:37

The cross & ring motif is attractive, but I would wonder how unique it would be—celtic crosses of various sorts being fairly ubiquitous.  The other suggestion is at least more likely to be unique.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

19 March 2008 01:12

Kyle—

I finally found time to draw the two badges I suggested.

First, a cross crosslet fitchy azure enfiling a ring or gemmed gules:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6379/ringcrosseu6.th.png

Second, a lion’s face gules jessant a cross crosslet fitchy azure:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9722/lioncrosszg0.th.png

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

19 March 2008 17:29

Dohrman Byers;55667 wrote:

First, a cross crosslet fitchy azure enfiling a ring or gemmed gules:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6379/ringcrosseu6.th.png

Second, a lion’s face gules jessant a cross crosslet fitchy azure:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9722/lioncrosszg0.th.png

Dear Father,

Wow, thank you!  I have been working on other things recently, so I hadn’t had a chance to revisit the badge question, or try emblazoning any of them.

The first is very appropriate I think, but I wasn’t terribly excited by it.

At the moment, I find your representation of the second beautiful and appropriate as well.  So if I had to pick between these two, I would pick the second.

I’m going to continue thinking on this, though.  If anyone else has more ideas, I’m glad to hear them too.  In the meantime, I will also look at the other suggestions people have had and maybe try my hand at some alterations.

But with Holy Week upon us, I will busy and will hope to pick up again next week!

But thank you *so much* for taking the time to emblazon, Father!  Neat!

Kyle=

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

19 March 2008 18:20

Ooh! The second! Yes, indeed. The second.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

19 March 2008 18:59

kmansfield;55729 wrote:

Ooh! The second! Yes, indeed. The second.

Kenneth—happy to see it caught others’ imagination as well!

Kyle=