Scottish and American arms for MacLea

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

20 March 2008 01:36

I too will be busy with Holy Week, and I’ll be on retreat for Easter week, so you won’t be hearing from me for a fortnight.

WBHenry

WBHenry
Total Posts:  1078
Joined  12-02-2007

20 March 2008 02:03

That being the case, have a blessed Easter and a refreshing retreat.

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Total Posts:  269
Joined  27-04-2006

20 March 2008 18:36

Yes—though off-topic, a blessed Easter to all and a refreshing and well-deserved retreat for Fr. Dohrman!

Thanks to all, I know all are busy this time of year!

Kyle=

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

06 November 2008 21:28

Dohrman Byers;55667 wrote:

Second, a lion’s face gules jessant a cross crosslet fitchy azure:

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9722/lioncrosszg0.th.png

I was thinking about this, but also thinking about a way to bring my pine tree into it.

I was thinking… could the crosslet ends of the cross be shaped like pine trees (in the same way that the partition line in Fr Selvester’s arms is shaped like fir trees)?

I’m not sure how this would look, but it seemed interesting to me.

Kyle=

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Total Posts:  2518
Joined  04-06-2007

06 November 2008 22:58

Trying to incorporate too much stuff for a badge IMHO.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

06 November 2008 23:23

I agree—too much. By making the cross unlike that in the arms, that connection would be lost; and the cross would be so unlike the pine tree that that connection would not work either.

What about adopting two badges: one with the lion’s face jessant a cross-crosslet fitchy (as shown), and another with a lion’s face jessant a pine tree eradicated?

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

07 November 2008 14:17

Dohrman Byers;64346 wrote:

What about adopting two badges: one with the lion’s face jessant a cross-crosslet fitchy (as shown), and another with a lion’s face jessant a pine tree eradicated?

Thanks, Kenneth and Fr Dohrman.

I was thinking it was probably too much…

Anyone want to take a stab at the second suggestion… "lion’s face jessant a pine tree eradicated"?  This seems interesting as well.

The lion’s face jessant is "growing" on me (and perhaps on the tree as well).  smile

Thanks!

Kyle=

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Joined  02-08-2007

07 November 2008 14:36

Somewhere I think I also suggested (or intended to suggest) the red hand holding the pine tree eradicated. The lion and cross badge connects the first with the second/third quarter. A hand and tree badge would connect the second/third with the fourth quarter.

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

07 November 2008 15:10

Kyle, this is quickly thrown together, but you get the idea….

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/520/macleapinetreebadgeur8.gif

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

07 November 2008 15:23

Dohrman Byers;64376 wrote:

Somewhere I think I also suggested (or intended to suggest) the red hand holding the pine tree eradicated. The lion and cross badge connects the first with the second/third quarter. A hand and tree badge would connect the second/third with the fourth quarter.

I can tie them all together….

http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3310/macleapinetreebadge2nf4.gif

I kid. I kid.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

07 November 2008 15:48

I always think a beast’s head jessant of anything but a fleur-de-lys looks like the poor thing has been stabbed either through the back of the neck or the roof of the mouth.  That’s particularly the case with any cross fitchy.  (In fact, I wondered if Kyle’s question, "Anyone want to take a stab at the second suggestion?" was an intentional pun.)

Jessant-de-lys would probably have the same effect if it weren’t already a relatively well established charge.

For purposes of the present discussion, how about a pine cone Or charged with a cross-crosslet fitchy Azure, or a cross crosslet fitchy azure surmounted of a pine cone Or slipped Vert?

Kenneth Mansfield

Kenneth Mansfield
Joined  04-06-2007

07 November 2008 16:45

How about a Cross crosslet fitchy Azure enfiled in base by a pinecone Or?

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/8858/macleapineconecrossyf2.gif

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

07 November 2008 20:02

Joseph McMillan;64379 wrote:

I always think a beast’s head jessant of anything but a fleur-de-lys looks like the poor thing has been stabbed either through the back of the neck or the roof of the mouth.  That’s particularly the case with any cross fitchy.  (In fact, I wondered if Kyle’s question, "Anyone want to take a stab at the second suggestion?" was an intentional pun.)

I have to admit the jessant design brought the same to mind for me, but it has grown on me a little nonetheless…  Still, I’m taking this very slowly.

Thank you to Kenneth for the emblazon… I think it looks interesting, actually.  The second though…. reminds me of some kind of "captain caveman" type abomination.  wink

Jessant-de-lys would probably have the same effect if it weren’t already a relatively well established charge.

Also agree here!

For purposes of the present discussion, how about a pine cone Or charged with a cross-crosslet fitchy Azure, or a cross crosslet fitchy azure surmounted of a pine cone Or slipped Vert?

You know, I hadn’t thought of the pine cone being a more subtle allusion.

A very interesting idea!

The enfiling is interesting as well… if anyone has some software that could throw Joseph’s other suggestions together, I would love that too.  It seems quite simple but effective.

Open to other creative uses of the pine cone, too.  I have to think on this…

Thanks, guys!

Kyle=

Kyle MacLea

Kyle MacLea
Joined  27-04-2006

24 September 2010 22:26

Just to update…. going to let the badge question percolate for a few more years… smile

I had contemplated making some minor changes to the arms, but am going to leave well enough alone.  I’m now actually able to send out copies to my family and have them enjoy them too, which will be fun!

Haven’t been on the forum much this last year or two, don’t anticipate that will change much.  But I am always interested when I have the chance to do some reading and enjoy all that the members have put together.

Thanks for making it fun, guys!

Kyle=

Michael F. McCartney

Michael F. McCartney
Total Posts:  3535
Joined  24-05-2004

26 September 2010 22:57

I’ve always considered your current arms to be one of the more successful American designs based on the West Highlands quartered totem theme, so I’m happy you’re not going to mess with them!