Blazon Clarification Requested

PBlanton

PBlanton
Total Posts:  808
Joined  06-11-2005

04 January 2008 16:46

gscsderby;52807 wrote:

Philip,

Thanks for the welcome and the additional clarification of terms. Looking at your arms I like the look of the ‘Expansed’ i.e. slight downward curve as compared the the more rigid straight line of the wing that I currently have drafted into the design.

Now based on this information an artistic difference between displayed (wings curved in an upward arc) versus expansed (wings more fesswise and/or with a slight downward curve). The interchangeable nature of varying terns is why I need the assistance of everyone here!

If the old axiom about learning something new every day is really true, I’ll be here an awful lot! No wasted time for me!

Thanks again.

Jim,

Actually, the slight downward curve that you see in my avatar is simply "artistic license". As can be seen in other emblazonments of my arms such as this one by Michael Swanson, sometimes there is a slight upward curve, but the wings are definitely opened horizontally, not vertically. It was this horizontal attitude of “expansed” vs. the vertical attitude of “displayed” that I was trying to clarify. With the arms you have shown in your avatar, I would blazon the figure in dexter base as an airscrew palewise Or winged expansed Argent. Personally, I would have no problem depicting what you have shown with this blazon.

Dcgb7f;52807 wrote:

This is starting too look like a perfect candidate for "as are in the margin hereof more clearly depicted." :razz:

I have been slowly acquiring an appreciation for this phrase as some blazons are far too complex and confusing.

Take care,