A new book-swapping tool

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

26 January 2008 00:42

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts!

My brother-in-law recently directed me to a fantastic new website.  The address is http://www.bookmooch.com.  The way it works is as follows:

1.  You list books that you own that you would not mind giving away.  For each book listed you get 1/10th of a point.

2.  Once you have accrued a point you may search the other member’s inventories and pay your point to that member and they will ship the book to you free of charge.

3.  Other members will request your books, and although you have to pay for the shipping cost (Media Mail rates are about $2.00 for an average sized book), they have to give you a point which you can use to claim another book.

4.  If the book that you want is not yet listed, you can put it on your wish-list and if someone makes it available, you are notified by e-mail so that you can attempt to claim it.

In essence, you are trading books that you do not want for books that you do want for the cost of shipping.  You can also "mooch" books from overseas, although this costs two points for the additional shipping costs.

I joined the site yesterday and listed about 20 books.  I shipped off 11 of them today, and already have 7 headed back my way for a grand total of $14 dollars, and I still have points to spend.  At the moment, there aren’t many heraldry books available, but if more of us got involved, we could list any duplicates that we might have in our libraries and make them available to others.

If you like the look of the operation and decide to sign up, I can be found listed as "Jonathan R. Baker" or through my e-mail address, "jonathanrbaker@baker-clan.com".  Be sure to add me as a friend if you do.