My first Helm Drawing…

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

04 February 2008 15:29

Hi all,

I have been trying to study the works of the many great artist on here, and decided I would give it a go at creating a helm myself.  You will noticed I tried to incorporate the rose from my proposed arms.  Please let me know your thoughts and advice.  I would love any recommendations/criticism so that I can improve.

Thanks,

Terry

http://omega1.us/personal/new/helm.gif

I used this as a visual guide, so some things will most likely look like it.  The shadows on the side are taken from it, as I couldn’t figure out something else (this is thanks to my newness at computer art).

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Total Posts:  4101
Joined  13-07-2005

05 February 2008 00:57

Here’s my opinion for what it’s worth.

For your first work it is good. smile

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

05 February 2008 14:21

Denny,

As always, thank you for your advice, insight and direction.  As I read through your response I was able to clearly see your points by referencing my image.  I started a new one today that I will post up when I finish….doing this one by hand thou. smile  If I am lucky, it will be a little better as I am referencing the masters works you suggested.

Respectfully,

Terry

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

05 February 2008 17:55

Good. I look forward to it. smile

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

06 February 2008 14:53

After staring at tons of images that Denny directed me to, I finally have something I can share.  As you can tell, this one was done by hand.  I didn’t bother to clean it up as this is still a learning thing.  Please let me know your thoughts, comments, criticisms etc.  (After I scanned it I noticed the "checkers" on the inside representing the quilting were a bit off)

http://omega1.us/personal/new/draw.jpg

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

06 February 2008 17:37

Well, I’d be interested in seeing it shaded, but it looks pretty darn good to me.  Better than I could do freehand!

MohamedHossam

MohamedHossam
Total Posts:  967
Joined  03-12-2006

06 February 2008 18:29

They’re both nice, but I really like the hand drawn one. The mantling is nice too.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

07 February 2008 04:01

it looks good, keep looking at the work of the masters to get inspiration wink

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

07 February 2008 11:58

Kevin, Mohamed, Ton,

Thank you for the kind words.  I feel much more comfortable learning by hand then using a computer medium.  I have tons to learn but I am sure with the guidance from here I will progress in time smile

Terry

Hall/Perdue

Hall/Perdue
Total Posts:  179
Joined  16-12-2006

08 February 2008 18:00

Wow!!! I love the hand drawn helm.

When I want a computer image, one of my preferred techniques is to draw by hand, scan the image, then recolor the image using the computer.  I often resample the image much larger, so that many of the rough edges get lost when I later reduce the image.

Of course, It all depends on the look you are going for…I doubt my method would work well, if at all for the kinds of images chap produces.

werewolves

werewolves
Total Posts:  477
Joined  14-08-2007

08 February 2008 18:35

Hall/Perdue;54168 wrote:

Wow!!! I love the hand drawn helm.

When I want a computer image, one of my preferred techniques is to draw by hand, scan the image, then recolor the image using the computer.  I often resample the image much larger, so that many of the rough edges get lost when I later reduce the image.

Of course, It all depends on the look you are going for…I doubt my method would work well, if at all for the kinds of images chap produces.

Another technique that works well is to scan your image, and then "trace" the lines in a vector graphics program like Inkscape.  Then you’re not getting pixels but lines and shapes, that can be exported at any size for coloring and shading.

Donnchadh

Donnchadh
Joined  13-07-2005

20 March 2008 00:21

This is nice Terry. smile

I remember the email on it and seeing it here it is still nice.

Have you made more? Want to share them? C’ya.