Order of Americans of Armigerous Ancestry

Stuart

Stuart
Total Posts:  230
Joined  01-12-2005

19 February 2008 01:22

Thank you Charles,

I noticed the founding date after I sent my remarks - (we are sure it was actually founded then - I trust?)

I think it smacks of extreme snobbery, and isn’t very American after all. It ought to be entitled, "Descendents of Colonists with Foreign Arms" as it celebrates the traditions of other nations (all the while breaking the laws of our own and possibly others.)

:mullet:

emrys

emrys
Total Posts:  852
Joined  08-04-2006

19 February 2008 04:10

Charles E. Drake;54450 wrote:

The bylaws specify that one have a proven descent from an American ancestor who settled on or before 4 July 1776 in the territory that became the 48 contiguous states and had a proven right to bear arms in the settler’s country of origin. This also explains why Russia and Hawaii are not included.

The tinctures were corrected and the supporters and crest removed from the British arms to create parity with the arms of the other nations depicted. Input on the changes was received from respected heraldists including John Shannon, Duane Galles, and Henry Beckwith, all of whom, are I believe, members of the Order.

Kind regards,

/Charles

The Dutch arms are wrong before 4 July 1776 different arms were in use by the Dutch republic namely Gules, a lion holding a sword and 7 arrows or. The arms used are those of the kingdom of the Netherlands which was formed in 1815, the arms are a combination of the republic arms and those of the house of Nassau.

eploy

eploy
Total Posts:  768
Joined  30-03-2007

19 February 2008 07:29

Stuart;54455 wrote:

I think it smacks of extreme snobbery, and isn’t very American after all. It ought to be entitled, "Descendents of Colonists with Foreign Arms" as it celebrates the traditions of other nations (all the while breaking the laws of our own and possibly others.)

I absolutely agree with the good Doc Stuart.

At the risk of making more enemies on this forum and being banned from making further posts, it has been my experience that most American hereditary societies are about honoring past ancestors and deeds.  There is certainly nothing wrong with that and I think we would all applaud the research necessary to uncover interesting stories pertaining to Americana and family connections.  The down side, however, has been to exclude those Americans whose ancestors are not as grand or immigrated more recently to the States.  The former is praiseworthy and very American.  The latter is very snobby and not very American.

I think the name proposed by Dr. Stuart is more appropriate, just my two cents worth…

Ben Foster

Ben Foster
Total Posts:  208
Joined  12-05-2006

22 February 2008 23:33

eploy;54459 wrote:

I absolutely agree with the good Doc Stuart.

The former is praiseworthy and very American.  The latter is very snobby and not very American.

Lest we let this discussion degrade into ad hominem arguments about whether or not the members of certain organizations are “snobs” or un-American, etc., I would remind the readers that one of the fundamental tenets of our democracy is the protection of an individual’s right to freely associate in groups or organizations of his or her own choosing.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

22 February 2008 23:41

Ben Foster;54611 wrote:

I would remind the readers that one of the fundamental tenets of our democracy is the protection of an individual’s right to freely associate in groups or organizations of his or her own choosing.

True, and another is the freedom to comment as we please on such organizations or any other issue.

But I would agree with the spirit of Ben’s post and suggest that some have gone a little overboard in criticizing the OAAA.  Let’s remember that a lot of people consider our own interest in heraldry to be snobbish in itself and at least think twice before casting stones.