COA design - round 2

Terry

Terry
Total Posts:  419
Joined  07-01-2008

14 March 2008 17:45

Hi All,

As you all will remember a short time ago everyone helped me on my first round of creating a COA for myself.  The result of that was Gules three roses in pale Argent barbed and seeded proper in dexter flank two pallets Argent  This has been sitting on my fridge and as the backdrop on my computer ever since as I evaluate and think about it.

I still really like this, but in light of my recent trip to Scotland, I have come back with some new ideas which I would like to share and get your opinions on.  Before I finalize my COA I would like to have reviewed all options. I would be thankful for your assistance once again.

Please feel free to correct my blazon if (when) I have made a mistake.

1st thought….(I really like this one)

Argent three Piles Wavy Gules, on a Chief Gules three roses Argent barbed and seeded proper

2nd thought

Argent, three Cheveronels, braced in the Base of the Escocheon Gules, on a Chief gules three roses Argent barbed and seeded proper

3rd thought….(not so sure about…almost a bit Capt. America in my mind)

paly of five Argent and Gules, on a chief Gules three roses Argent

And to answer the question I am sure you are thinking…yes, I like the look of 3 roses in chief.  smile

Note: any duplication of a known COA is completely accidental - please point it out and I will either change or remove the thought

Dcgb7f

Dcgb7f
Total Posts:  516
Joined  07-07-2007

15 March 2008 12:52

Could you describe the appearance of No. 2? The blazon is a little odd sounding and I can’t quite get a mental image of what your idea is. Also, a paly needs to be an even number. I believe it should be blazoned argent five pallets gules.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

15 March 2008 13:02

Dcgb7f;55455 wrote:

Could you describe the appearance of No. 2? The blazon is a little odd sounding and I can’t quite get a mental image of what your idea is. Also, a paly needs to be an even number. I believe it should be blazoned argent five pallets gules.

Or is what is meant Argent two pales Gules?

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

15 March 2008 14:34

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your input and guidance concerning the paly.  I image in my mind was 5 bars up and down argent and gules.  With the thought of paly needing to be an even number, in my minds eye, a paly of 6 argent and gules might look nice.

As per thought two this is what I was trying to describe for the cheveronels.

The reference book I used is a (online) copy of A DISPLAY OF HERALDRIE: by John Guillim (c1551 - 1621) (real copy has been ordered from Barter Books…so excited smile ) - Needless to say I used terms from this to try and blazon.  Sorry for being confusing.

Fr. Byers - You are correct sir.  This is what I was trying to describe.  Sorry for the mistake and thank you for the guidance.

Respectfully,

Terry

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

17 March 2008 13:06

In an effort to try to get some more opinions I am posting an image (rather bad images) of thoughts 1 and 2.  I know we went through this a bit ago with some poor designs so I understand if no one wants to post thoughts.  Just post up and let me know I should knock it off. smile

Sandy Turnbull

Sandy Turnbull
Total Posts:  157
Joined  21-03-2007

17 March 2008 13:27

#2 looks rather nice.

Jonathan R. Baker

Jonathan R. Baker
Total Posts:  625
Joined  27-03-2007

17 March 2008 13:39

I agree that #2 is very nice.  I don’t know if it’s just that depiction, but #1 seems a bit…gory.

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

17 March 2008 13:53

Jonathan R. Baker;55529 wrote:

I agree that #2 is very nice.  I don’t know if it’s just that depiction, but #1 seems a bit…gory.

I think it is just the depiction.  I am not very good with computer graphic tools and I was having an issue with making the pile lines wavy.  I think if the lines were more symmetrical it would look a lot better.

arriano

arriano
Total Posts:  1303
Joined  20-08-2004

17 March 2008 14:41

I know what Jonathan is stating. #1 looks a bit like blood running down the shield. But like you say, it could be simply the depiction.

#2 looks best to me. But they’re your arms Terry—go with your gut.

David Pritchard

David Pritchard
Total Posts:  2058
Joined  26-01-2007

17 March 2008 15:32

Terry;55522 wrote:

http://omega1.us/personal/new/shields.jpg

I like the first shield less the roses actually. I assume that the blazon is something like this: Argent, on a chief rayonney of three Gules, three roses Argent, seeded and barbed Proper. I could be wrong here if the shield is actually parted: Per fess rayonney Gules and Argent, three roses Argent seeded and barbed Proper in chief.

The second shield is attractive for a traditional English style shield, but by no means elegant in the French manner.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Total Posts:  7658
Joined  08-06-2004

17 March 2008 15:35

I agree with David on both counts, but I wonder if the first one would work with two white roses in chief and one red rose in base:  Per fess rayonny Gules and Argent three roses counterchanged barbed and seeded proper.

Personally, I still like the asymmetric look of two or three pallets in one flank and the roses in pale in the other.

Slakrking

Slakrking
Total Posts:  71
Joined  30-11-2006

17 March 2008 17:21

I also prefer #2, its crisp, identifiable. the first depiction seems more appropriate to the hood of a hot rod

Terry

Terry
Joined  07-01-2008

17 March 2008 19:28

Thank you all for your input and opinions.  I know the choice is ultimately mine, but I appreciate the opinions of those much more experienced then myself.

Joseph - I this what you were thinking?

http://omega1.us/personal/new/shield_counter.jpg

I am not sure what you all would think of this, but I also thought maybe adding a double tressure flory-counter-flory sable to the Argent area might make something interesting.  Yes I know this is the double tressure flory of Scotland, just a different tincture.  If I add this, it is to mildly show my Scottish connection.

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

17 March 2008 20:42

Not such deep indentations, I think, and with bigger roses, is what I had in mind.

Dohrman Byers

Dohrman Byers
Total Posts:  760
Joined  02-08-2007

17 March 2008 20:47

Terry—

Here is another version of the arms as blazoned by Joseph.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/1850/terry01rj4.png

Joseph McMillan

Joseph McMillan
Joined  08-06-2004

17 March 2008 20:53

Goodness, Father, you’re quick!